Am I the only weirdo?

That's really cool .. beautiful homestead Kevin!
Thank you Daniel, it is a blessing to live at Ruwenzori, keeps me sane.
5D651CB8-DE95-4A26-B249-00168BAA4BD9.jpeg

It’s not always a rifle… but there is typically “something” a little controversial in plain view all day in my office…

Lately it’s been my bow…often it’s large knives… equally often it’s a pistol or a rifle…

I tend to fiddle with different “stuff” through the course of the day….

Get a meeting wrapped up… take 5 minutes to strop some broadheads or a hunting knife….get another meeting closed out, tinker around with a rifle scope that’s needing some tinkering… another meeting…. There’s a pistol that could use a light coat of oil… etc…

Thankfully quite literally every single person that I work with and/or works for me are “gun people”… so if I’m lazy and dont think to put a long slide 45 acp out of view the only thing that happens is “nice hog leg boss! When did you get that???” Or “wanna sell that thing? I think it would look better on my desk than yours!” :)

I do make sure everything is out of view when external meetings occur though…no sense in startling our CPA firm, the lawyers, bankers, or clients lol…

I love the company of other eccentric, esoteric, weirdos!

Land Rover vs. Land Cruisers
Doubles vs. Bolt-Actions
.300 H&H vs. .300 Winchester
Single malt vs. Bourbon
Buffalo vs. Elephant

Kevin - If you were a little too inebriated for you own good and took liberties with a female peacock in 1964, please PM me. I might be your long lost son.

I think I should be living in that house!

Two past "offences" come to mind; familiarising myself with the Steyr Scout, and having a senior sergeant Police Officer come to the door as I handled/fondled my then new Ruger Redhawk... I flipped the cylinder open, and offered it to him, butt first, explaining that it was "legal" ...
Mod to edit as required ...

Today's office companion - 1960 Browning Safari Grade in 30-06. Purchased off the preowned rack at McBride's Guns in Austin, Texas back in 1989; reported to be previously owned by a Texas DPS trooper, this was the first centerfire rifle that my father ever bought specifically for me (as my first deer rifle). Technically, we didn't buy it; rather, we traded straight across for a well-worn Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum with an 8 3/8" barrel, then added the Bausch & Lomb Balvar 2.5-8 external adjustment scope. If memory serves, I haven't fired this gun since November 2002. :)

BrowningSafari_3006.jpg

Today's office companion - 1960 Browning Safari Grade in 30-06. Purchased off the preowned rack at McBride's Guns in Austin, Texas back in 1989; reported to be previously owned by a Texas DPS trooper, this was the first centerfire rifle that my father ever bought specifically for me (as my first deer rifle). Technically, we didn't buy it; rather, we traded straight across for a well-worn Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum with an 8 3/8" barrel, then added the Bausch & Lomb Balvar 2.5-8 external adjustment scope. If memory serves, I haven't fired this gun since November 2002. :)

View attachment 556985
Nice! How long is the barrel?

LOL Moments before seeing this post, I did it myself! I told an old-timer that loved grouse hunting (and bird dogs) at the fam farm long ago....and he responded "Are you kidding me? A rifle is something to Behold!!!" and smiled profusely! Yours might also be construed as your substitute teddy bear or security blanket? Approved!! lol pic is reenactment just for you. On the wall is the spiral horn slam in one trip on both sides of the Limpopo River. 300 WM Dakota.

IMG_20230912_141347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I would have guessed at least 26". Must be the camera angle causing an optical illusion.
Must be the camera angle; it's definitely a 22. I do have another Safari Grade in 308 Norma Mag that has a 24" barrel, but I'm not aware of Browning/FN putting anything longer than 24" on the Safari Grades.

I know plenty of PHs that sleep with loaded guns next to their beds! I once did too when lions invaded camp after a buff and eland were hung up 150 yds away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petervolt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?