Am I the only weirdo?

I have all kinds of toys around my office at home, and have for years no matter where my desk was. Before my youngest son was born we lived in a townhouse in city limits, and it was perfect. It had a nice backyard with just a terrific pinch point in the woods right behind us and the next neighborhood. Once I was in a meeting, and a nice buck walked thru the backyard. Muted myself, shot it out the window with my bow. When I joined the meeting again, they had evidently asked me a question. I said, hey I am sorry, there was a buck in the yard, had to shoot it. Everyone laughed, and my boss only asked “well did you get it? I guess you’ll be taking a long lunch today?” They mostly hunted, so understood. Lesson learned thou, make sure when you hit mute it actually did mute. They heard they bow go off, which was the question as to what happened

I’ve been told to write short stories about living in that townhouse and all my stories, They do give me a good laugh. Keeping a bow behind me ready to shoot at a moments notice. Never did use a rifle, but I was tempted a few times.

Now that we have video for the meetings, I sometimes have a rifle propped up Against the safe, and there is an impala skull and warthog tusks visible at all times….

I know plenty of PHs that sleep with loaded guns next to their beds! I once did too when lions invaded camp after a buff and eland were hung up 150 yds away!
The PH I recall vividly was in the "15-yr war" of Rhodesia. He kept ALL guns loaded and safety off (ready to fire) at ALL times (I think it was engrained and nothing to do with wildlife. Mind you this was only 10 yrs later.) I asked to see his collection, 'grabbed his favorite .416 and he immediately yelled "IT'S LOADED, SAFETY OFF!!!" As an American (guns unloaded, in safe away from theft by Dems (they're not Liberty-no worries :p) with kids in the house at times, etc. the only thing I'd have loaded is an out of sight shotgun and/or pistol that based upon my experience (at home, in a rural area) is NEVER going to be utilized. Rednecks in America leave guns loaded, and that's how people get hurt. My apologies for the few that are highly trained and so inclined due to the aforementioned experiences. The night in Zim the pride came in to get what they could off hanging buff and eland (Thank God they were hung heads-up! lol)...we watched 'em during dinner (guns loaded at our sides-mid way between them and our tents.) My teen son (now a grown man that would kill 'em w/ his bare hands if necess. :p) slept like a rock with his 2-chamber tent fully unzipped (between the PH and I) while I (v. light sleeper) listened to the lions roaring and pacing through camp ALL NIGHT LONG until dawn, when they trotted down into the Mkwasine River and headed back to their refuge in the Save Conservancy. Thereafter, I dubbed them "The Maneaters of Save!" :p PH got a kick out of that. I'm selling t-shirts....lol I have a pic from the next a.m. of tracks immediately in-front of my Son's tent (to show him why one should zip them up) but I could smell their breath as they trotted by (the open windows) of mine-only i was FULLY awake!!! lol now. How I cope with it is this: I think it fully wiped ("reset?") the hard drive of my nervous system. Never again would I be concerned with very much...LOL :p PHs wife shared some photos of baby lions at a zoo in Harare just the other day...I said how beautiful! Her reply: Yeah, not quite the lion experience you had!!! LOL I had nearly forgotten...(it was that reset, you see.) lol All things considered, we were in fantastic Zimbabwe, we were in individual tents spread out in camp, everything was just perfect; even the lions! We were visiting them, and it was the most amazing experience that I adored since the roaring began in the outdoor dining area...They are so refined in the former Breadbasket of Africa that they eat on the same schedule as humans! ;) Be on the lookout for lions wanting high tea...

Last edited:
It's not the rifle but the Warthog behind me during Zoom meetings.

In the first zoom meeting someone was finally brave enough to ask me "uh, what's that, that thing behind you?"
I nonchalantly replied "oh, that's just Walter. Don't worry, we talked beforehand, and he's promised to behave himself." And then not a peep from anyone.

Now, occasionally someone on zoom will ask 'how's Walter doing?"

It's not the rifle but the Warthog behind me during Zoom meetings.

In the first zoom meeting someone was finally brave enough to ask me "uh, what's that, that thing behind you?"
I nonchalantly replied "oh, that's just Walter. Don't worry, we talked beforehand, and he's promised to behave himself." And then not a peep from anyone.

Now, occasionally someone on zoom will ask 'how's Walter doing?"
i just thought about this the other day...since covid, i've avoided ALL video conferencing on calls, opting to dial-in....I simply didn't want to offend anyone and lose business (and in response, i achieved the highest earnings EVER in '20-'21.) It was the right thing to do. I even have big clients in TX but they live in the cities...I think 1 would approve but the other probably not, thus the decision. When I'm semi-retired, i'll just put the mounts on the screen and narrate from the bar in the background...

The PH I recall vividly was in the "15-yr war" of Rhodesia. He kept ALL guns loaded and safety off (ready to fire) at ALL times (I think it was engrained and nothing to do with wildlife. Mind you this was only 10 yrs later.) I asked to see his collection, 'grabbed his favorite .416 and he immediately yelled "IT'S LOADED, SAFETY OFF!!!" As an American (guns unloaded, in safe away from theft by Dems (they're not Liberty-no worries :p) with kids in the house at times, etc. the only thing I'd have loaded is an out of sight shotgun and/or pistol that based upon my experience (at home, in a rural area) is NEVER going to be utilized. Rednecks in America leave guns loaded, and that's how people get hurt. My apologies for the few that are highly trained and so inclined due to the aforementioned experiences. The night in Zim the pride came in to get what they could off hanging buff and eland (Thank God they were hung heads-up! lol)...we watched 'em during dinner (guns loaded at our sides-mid way between them and our tents.) My teen son (now a grown man that would kill 'em w/ his bare hands if necess. :p) slept like a rock with his 2-chamber tent fully unzipped (between the PH and I) while I (v. light sleeper) listened to the lions roaring and pacing through camp ALL NIGHT LONG until dawn, when they trotted down into the Mkwasine River and headed back to their refuge in the Save Conservancy. Thereafter, I dubbed them "The Maneaters of Save!" :p PH got a kick out of that. I'm selling t-shirts....lol I have a pic from the next a.m. of tracks immediately in-front of my Son's tent (to show him why one should zip them up) but I could smell their breath as they trotted by (the open windows) of mine-only i was FULLY awake!!! lol now. How I cope with it is this: I think it fully wiped ("reset?") the hard drive of my nervous system. Never again would I be concerned with very much...LOL :p PHs wife shared some photos of baby lions at a zoo in Harare just the other day...I said how beautiful! Her reply: Yeah, not quite the lion experience you had!!! LOL I had nearly forgotten...(it was that reset, you see.) lol All things considered, we were in fantastic Zimbabwe, we were in individual tents spread out in camp, everything was just perfect; even the lions! We were visiting them, and it was the most amazing experience that I adored since the roaring began in the outdoor dining area...They are so refined in the former Breadbasket of Africa that they eat on the same schedule as humans! ;) Be on the lookout for lions wanting high tea...
@C.W. Richter
YEAH a zipped up tent is really going to stop a loin that's intent on mayhem. If it was a steel tent maybe.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@C.W. Richter
YEAH a zipped up tent is really going to stop a loin that's intent on mayhem. If it was a steel tent maybe.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
LOL oddly, even w/ the tent windows rolled up but the screens in-place, unless really hungry or provoked, they don't associate with those surfaces-they don't understand them! but Thank God they got their bellies full on the lower buff and eland-they might've had my beloved Son (now Endodontist!) for dessert and i'd have never forgiven myself. These tents were tough-i'd have more than 1 min to get the 416 pointed AND rub my eyes!!! ;) lol If only I had a 358 STA! ;)

When I have zoom meetings and interviews with people applying for job, I take care for the trophies in the background not to be seen.

On days like today where I am doing mostly home office work, I often like to grab one of my hunting rifles and have it sit with me for the morning (or sometimes even the full day). It just gives me something to hold or play with while I'm listening in on conference calls and web meetings, so that I don't get too bored. Holding something like this in my hands actually helps me pay better attention to the call and capture more information. Or perhaps this is just an odd version of "Take Your Kid to Work" day. Am I the only weirdo like this? :)

PS - today's office companion, my FN 1952 in 270 Winchester, with a B&L Balvar 2.5-8x scope.

View attachment 542486
This is great!! Can't wait to show this thread to my wife! She makes fun of me all the time for bringing a "friend" with me when I come into the office to get on the computer. I have a dedicated man cave but no computer in there and I spend quite a bit of time in front of the screen. Sometimes if I am here long I switch out the boomstick a time or two.
20230912_225400.jpg

This is funny thread for me. I see we all have very similar habits.

No, it gives you pleasure and you have this online support group so you are dealing with this rationally.

I should be doing something but I'm often distracted here. I seem to a penchant for guns but also have accumulated a number of butchers knives and sharpening gear because I have been trying to do a bit more meat prep myself.

When I worked in the bush I had a gun cradle on top of the rifle safe in my bedroom. I only lived there while rostered on so it was my batch pad or hunting lodge.

If I ever had the rifle out it often sat on top in the cradle overnight as I was in the room and just enjoyed having it on display while I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
No rifle (unlawful to not have it locked into an "approved" safe here) but my third line of defence in facing juvenile criminals breaking in is my good friend, Mr K. Firstly, they have to cross the fence, then get past the dog, then Mr K comes into play: a genuine Nepalese Kukri; over 5 pounds of honed, forged steel...

When I have zoom meetings and interviews with people applying for job, I take care for the trophies in the background not to be seen.

I too try to keep the hunting objects out of view when video calling with people I do not know. But most of my customers know by now that I’m a hunter. Even changed my profile pic on WhatsApp to something hunting related and now have guys texting waidmannsheil instead of hello :)

sometimes, I think there are more people out there friendly or neutral to hunters than we think.

During one of the Covid waves the hospital required all clinical staff to debrief/ counsel with a psychologist for one session and then as needed. I made sure my first zoom meeting with my appointed shrink happened in my man cave.

Sculls and horns everywhere, old hunting and shooting paraphernalia, a pile of leather and oak motor cases, skins draped over chairs and on the floor. Leather gun-straps, shotgun ammunition pouches, shooting vests. Hanging off the burglar bars, a strip of bushpig mane, jackal skin and half an Egyptian goose’s back and mask waiting to become a variety of nymphs and streamers.

As if they read the playbook my cat sprawled out over the laptop and the spaniel X retriever pup lay down on “his” hyena skin…

Needless to say I was not offered a follow up appointment, but the lady interviewing me, probably 15 years my senior, enjoyed the ambiance of the place. She said it reminded her of her fathers office on the farm where she grew up. Turns out those cattle farms are still in the family and I’ve hunted kudu there a few years before covid.

sometimes, I think there are more people out there friendly or neutral to hunters than we think.
In my place majority of population does not object against hunting. Venisson restaurants are popular and frequently visited.
So, far, aggressive animal right groups are extreme cases, organized in marginal NGO's. However they are present in media and on internet. (more then hunting community)
I dont think they will just go away.

Media plays generally a negative role, portraying the hunters as "killers", "murderers", etc

No rifle (unlawful to not have it locked into an "approved" safe here) but my third line of defence in facing juvenile criminals breaking in is my good friend, Mr K. Firstly, they have to cross the fence, then get past the dog, then Mr K comes into play: a genuine Nepalese Kukri; over 5 pounds of honed, forged steel...
@geoff rath
A 3 pound hickory pick handle is a very effective deterrent. Especially when 6 foot 6 and 115kg of pissed off person standing in just a pair of jocks with said handle facing them.
They sort of think twice.
Bob

@geoff rath
A 3 pound hickory pick handle is a very effective deterrent. Especially when 6 foot 6 and 115kg of pissed off person standing in just a pair of jocks with said handle facing them.
Bob
Walking sticks scattered around the house serve as back-up, as well as keeping me mobile

@geoff rath
Bob
Bob, the thought of you running around in your jocks should be deterrent enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjohnson1967

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?