That's is a great hunt! And a wonderful animal. Congratulations to you and the hunter.
Thank you. Same area where you got your Vaal Rhebuck!

Hmm, he hasn’t smiled in one picture. We shall fix that next time! The slight smile in the black wildebeest photo doesn’t count!
Maybe due to the miles..... :)

Great secondary growth at the bases on this Gemsbuck bull.

20230606_152043.jpg

This absolutely ancient Bushbuck ram was wounded the previous day. We attempted a follow up in some very thick stuff but ran out of light. With Bushbuck and their reputation for being cheeky, we decided to leave the ram until the next morning with better light.
The next morning we decided to let a single hound go. The hound knows Bushbuck. Within 15minutes, we bumped the ram and set the dog loose. She managed to bay the ram within about 100 yards, but managed to get a horn through the ear.
As we approached slowly, we decided to try and flank the ram from a higher point. As we peaked over a small ridge, the ram was standing a mere 4 ft away from us and picked us up immediately.
The shotgun went off, and the photo shows just exactly how close 4ft is.
IMG20230703080126.jpg

IMG20230703075734.jpg

IMG20230703080920.jpg

IMG20230703080938.jpg

IMG20230703075144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As is normal in hunting, things don't always work out how they should on the first try. If hunting was a sure thing, we wouldn't do it either. After a late afternoon shot on this Waterbuck bull on day 1, we bumped him in a field in the dark on day 2 and could clearly see a mark on the shoulder from the initial shot. It took us a further 2.5 days to find him again and get a second chance. Leaving early in the morning, we found a high point to glass from, focusing on close to the vicinity of where we saw him the previous evening. Our tracker managed to find him standing under a thorn tree sunning himself. After closing the distance, it was a waiting game, and our friend Cameron Mitchell managed to close the deal on this great free range Waterbuck.

IMG20230706112108.jpg

As is normal in hunting, things don't always work out how they should on the first try. If hunting was a sure thing, we wouldn't do it either. After a late afternoon shot on this Waterbuck bull on day 1, we bumped him in a field in the dark on day 2 and could clearly see a mark on the shoulder from the initial shot. It took us a further 2.5 days to find him again and get a second chance. Leaving early in the morning, we found a high point to glass from, focusing on close to the vicinity of where we saw him the previous evening. Our tracker managed to find him standing under a thorn tree sunning himself. After closing the distance, it was a waiting game, and our friend Cameron Mitchell managed to close the deal on this great free range Waterbuck.

View attachment 588241
Great work! Way to stay with it

Hounds treed this Caracal in one of the trees on the rocky outcrop behind our hunter. After the shot, the cat only had one place to go, or Murphy only had one idea. Straight into the drink.
This was an incredible week which we still discuss to this day. Within a span of 7 days, 3 Caracal were treed and taken by hunters, with another 7 cats seen by chance by 4 different PH's and their respective hunters over a span of 7 days. Whether this was because the females came into season which got them moving around, or lambing season, we can only guess. First time for everything. The Bushbuck must have been nervous.

IMG20230705094950.jpg

Magnificent Lechwe hunted with us during the 2023 season. After letting a few bulls go earlier on, we spotted this bull in a small bachelor herd. Once we laid eyes on him, it was difficult to even contemplate anything else. A little bit of innovation got him crossing below us in a valley with a mixed herd of around 70 other Lechwe. Luckily, he gave us the chance needed and as they say, the rest was history.

IMG20230712124901.jpg

After a few days of scratching, we finally found what we were looking for. Found this ram and another younger ram interested in a ewe in some extremely thick shrub. Luckily for the hills of the Eastern Cape, we had a good vantage point to set the shot up while sitting down over some bipods at 160 yards. Always a good feeling when you get there and the animal is better than you thought through the binoculars. Another great Bushbuck ram.

IMG20230710172033.jpg

Fridays are for Kudu! Beautiful shape on this bull. We stalked down a windy little road after leaving the truck on the hill in the background of the photo. After killing the engine, as most know, you lose most electronics such as brakes and power steering. What it doesn't lose is the horn. After getting thrown around a bit, we managed to land on the horn notifying everything up to Mozambique that we were in the area. We like to make it fair. While glassing, we caught this bull sneaking out of a valley at a mere 150 yards. Blessed to have him land roughly 15 yards from the road.

IMG20230714092048.jpg

Proper Mountain Reedbuck that we had seen from roughly 1000 yards away. After making a long loop to get into the shade side of the hill, we crawled a further 30 yards or so to get ourselves into position. At first we could not find the ram we had spotted, but only a second younger ram that made me question myself at first. After a few minutes, this guy showed up after rounding up some more ewes and gave us a quartering on shot at 260 yards.

IMG20230711163648.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.