ZAMBIA: Leopard Bow Hunt With Dzombo Hunting Safari

Since, we saw the male leopard on the bait we decided to hunt that evening. The 1st couple of hours were very quite but we did hear a baboon making a racket indicating we had a leopard near by the bait. Nothing materialized that evening but we’re confident either the female or male were near by the bait. After last shooting light we headed back to camp. View attachment 628087
Hard to tell from a photo but a few more inches of vertical shooting slit would make me more comfortable.

We woke up at 230am to have breakfast and start the hour drive to our bait site. We wanted to be in the blind by 430am which should give enough time for everything to settle down.

We made it into the blind and sat in the pitch black for about an hour before we heard a baboon. A few minutes later we heard a cat at the bait. We could hear It breaking bones and making all kinds of noises. It even started to purr like a house cat!!

A few minutes later we heard a hynea approach the bait and that didn’t go over well with the male leopard. The hyena left afree awhile and the leopard ate for a little while longer and left the bait before shooting light.

Later that morning, we had the female come into the bait but the male wouldn’t walk into the bait. We sat until 1130am and decided to call it a morning. We went to check a few other baits before heading back to the blind for the evening hunt.
IMG_7901.jpeg
IMG_7895.jpeg

Hard to tell from a photo but a few more inches of vertical shooting slit would make me more comfortable.
Yes, it was tight but the PH said the leopards have crazy sight and great hearing. We very adamant about the windows, the noise and movement in the blind.

Wow, this post has everything about an ultimate dream hunt. The photos are amazing, the blinds, baits just everything about this experience. We certainly will never live forever, but I want this.. TY

That afternoon we got back into the blind by 2pm. Around 3 o’clock we heard a soft growl from a leopard about 100 or 150 yards away in the thick bush. It went quiet for another 20min then another soft growl. This went on and on for hours. I could tell De Bruin was getting frustrated. He leaned over and whispered “I think their mating and that the male doing his busy”. I responded with a look of bewilderment and said really? He slowly shook his head. I thought to myself maybe the female will walk into the bait with him in tow. We sat there until the sun started to fade behind the tall trees. Then, suddenly I thought I heard a growl beside me just outside the blind. I was able to pick through the grass of the blind and see the head of a large male leopard just 15 yards from the blind looking in my direction. It didn’t appear to see me or the blind. It slowly turned and walked towards the blind. I motion to De Bruin Cat!!! At 1st he thought it was the female but it was actually both the male and female walking to the bait.

He motioned for me to stand up. So, I slowly stood and got into my shooting position. At this point the female was on the branch while the male stood broadside at the bottom. I got ready for the shot but he quickly moved. He positioned himself broadside again but again moved towards the bait this time pushing the female off the tree. He jumped into the tree and started eating and finally presented a beautiful shoot so I pulled back and took aim but he again moved presenting me with no shot. I let the bow down and waited again. I stayed focused and waited for another opportunity. Finally, he presented another shoot. I pulled my bow and placed the pin just behind the shoulder and squeezed the release. I saw the green lighted nock hit its mark then continue behind the leopard and into the woods. He quickly jumped up into the air and landing on all 4 of his feet. He just started walking away not running walking. I was like what the heck. I thought was it a bad shoot after all? It looked and sounded good but I was now getting very nervous. He went a few feet and I lost sight of him due to the angle and the window. The PH could still see him and walking away. All the sudden, I heard a loud moaning sound like what a bear makes when dying. Oh could it be??!!! When it stops the PH says stay here and rushes out of the blind with his gun. I stood there looking out the window thinking what had happened. I see the PH come into view with his gun aimed and my heart dropped. Then all the sudden he looks back at me and yells he’s dead!! Come Here!! I busted through the blind door running towards the PH to the sight of the leopard lying just 15 steps from the bait!! The PH and I started High Fiving and hollering. After, our male bonding, I slowly walked towards the beautiful leopard laying on the ground. I was in awe at the sight of such a magnificent animal and that I had taken him with a bow. I felt blessed to have taken it cleanly with no issues or risk to others. Their such an amazing animal and truly difficult to express the feelings i had at that very moment. I couldn’t have done it without my PH and trackers!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharleneHa

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!