ZAMBIA: Leopard Bow Hunt With Dzombo Hunting Safari

IMG_7851.png

IMG_8148.jpeg

It took us all day to process and get all the meat back to camp. We had hippo tail and sat beside the fire that evening. We would have enough bait for 10 setups. Tomorrow, we would start setting up leopard baits.

Last edited:
Talked to him at DSC - gentleman for sure with true passion.

Was that your Kudu that hit the magic number? Ryan posted one social media last month I believe.
It was :)

Please describe the arrow and BH setup
I brought two bows for this hunt. For the hippo my setup was the following.

Hoyt RX5
80lbs
Easton axis arrows 750g
Lighted Nock “Deep Six off amazon”
IronWill Broad Head “150g single blade Buffalo series”
Ethics Insert 100g and Ethics collar

On the hippo the broadhead exited the opposite side but didn’t pass through the hippo. The shot was at 47 yards so that makes a big difference on penetration. In this case I was happy with no pass through because the broadhead backed back in the hippo and being a single blade continued to cut and cause havoc on his vital organs while he moved.

Complete pass through and damage is done or continual damage and cutting on the fetal organs???

We spent the next 2 and 1/2 days setting up leopard bait sites. I found it so interesting how they setup the bait sites. I probably drove my PH mad with all the questions but I love to learn while on such adventures.
IMG_7860.jpeg

The trackers would climb all the way up the tree barefoot!! There were a few times, I was nervous for them.
IMG_8352.png
IMG_8351.png

They would cover the bait with branches to hind it from the buzzards.
IMG_7900.jpeg

We setup 10 bait sites during the 2 days. They used wire to tie the meat to the branch.

After they finished hanging and covering the bait they would pour hippo blood and stomach matter over the branch and tree to cover scent and to add scent. After all this they would drag hippo guts up and down the trails leading back to the tree.
IMG_8030.png

Hard working team it looks like!

10 baits in 2 days - love it

Let’s go!!!! nothing quite compares to Mr Spots and the preparation! Good shooting!!! AIM SMALL MISS SMALL !!

I am loving every bit of this thread. Archery leopard is #1 on my hunt list. Thank you so much for the detailed updates!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MazieOrth

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available