Woodleigh 320gr RNSP Performance

Schroeder

Reaction score
I have a Merkel 961L double rifle drilling.
It shoots two loads extremely well.

RWS 293gr Uni Classics.
They flatten pigs like the hammer of Thor, whether they are right in front of me at 10m, or out to 200m.
But they are bloody expensive.

The other load it shoots really well is Woodleigh 320gr RNSP, which is much cheaper and I have a huge stash of them. A 3/4 inch group at 100m is not uncommon. Muzzle velocity is 2022fps.
100m is 1800fps.
150m is 1700fps.
200m is 1600fps.
They flatten pigs at 100m no problem at all, but I have not had the opportunity to use them beyond 100m yet.
Has anyone actually had any experience with the Woodleigh 320gr RNSP at lower velocity down to 1600fps on any game at all?
This is a double rifle and it’s mostly used for walking creek beds after pigs at close range, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience that they can share?

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Schroeder, I am assuming you are using a 9.3 X 74R. I can't answer your question, but I do have one for you as well as an observation. First the question, what velocities are you getting out of the RWS 293 Gr. loads at the same distances? Second my observation, I have never heard or read about any "issues" with Woodleigh projectiles at these velocities.

I run the 320 grain RNSN Woodleighs exclusively in my 9.3X62 but with a muzzle velocity of 2300fps. Woodleighs are designed for impact velocities between 1800-2200fps so I am sure at 1600fps you will be getting to the point where its far from optimum and you will likely be losing consistent expansion and penetration.

Schroeder, I am assuming you are using a 9.3 X 74R. I can't answer your question, but I do have one for you as well as an observation. First the question, what velocities are you getting out of the RWS 293 Gr. loads at the same distances? Second my observation, I have never heard or read about any "issues" with Woodleigh projectiles at these velocities.
Yes, 9.3x74R. The RWS UNI have a muzzle velocity of 2200fps. But I think the softer section in the front half is fine at lower velocities. They perform flawlessly.

Last edited:
I run the 320 grain RNSN Woodleighs exclusively in my 9.3X62 but with a muzzle velocity of 2300fps. Woodleighs are designed for impact velocities between 1800-2200fps so I am sure at 1600fps you will be getting to the point where its far from optimum and you will likely be losing consistent expansion and penetration.
Yes, I suspect you are correct. Your load doesn’t get to 1600fps until it passes 350m. I will have to test my load at 150 and 200 at some stage. I just won’t get a chance for some time. But as Shootist43 said above, I too have never heard of a Woodleigh failing to expand, but of course there has to be a velocity point where they won’t expand. Just wondering if anyone has used the 320gr RNSP at lower impact velocities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenardHave

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt