Why not a Single Shot?

I have no idea about brass availability for the 500NE but it sure has been difficult (and expensive) to find 50-90 brass lately.
I use Starline 50-90 Sharps brass to make my 500/450 No.2 Musket and I suppose I will for 461 Gibbs No.1 when I get on that project.
It is on backorder now but quite reasonable in price when available.

I love your No.1!
The recessed safety is an especially well thought out modification.
Your cartridge choice is great too. I have one in 50-110 but the Sharps has even more capacity than the Winchester - strangely.
One can load either to easily match the performance of the 500NE as originally loaded which is no slouch as we know.

I've been following this discussion for some time. Unfortunately, I have plenty of single shot rifles - even in DG chamberings - but have no hunting stories to tell of them.
That said, I was getting close to booking a Buffalo hunt in Mozambique and the PH had no reservations at all about backing up a client with a single shot. Of course, my 500NE would have most likely gone but I would be over the moon to take a Cape Buffalo with one of my Gibbs Farquharsons. 461 No.2 or 450 No.1 Express.
That's about as classic as it gets in my mind.

Thanks for that information. I had wondered about the rim diameter, dimensions I have not researched yet.
Cartridge dimensions of historic cartridges can very, sometimes by a lot, but for comparison purposes the rim thickness ("R") and diameter ("R1") are nominally:

500NE R=.040, R1=.655
50-90 R=.065, R1=.665

Makes a lot of sense, especially considering the lesser surface area of the case. I am not well versed on the ejector mechanism of the Ruger #1, other than they worked for my .270 Win, 30-06, .35 Whelen, .375 H&H, and 450-400 Nitro. They all worked and some gun writers said it is a good design.
The issue with the ejector is that it lacks sufficient bite on the rim and there is no camming action. The strength of ejecting a cartridge is controlled by tightening a spring on the hanger but you can tighten it just so much; too much and you will bind the action.

With large straight walled cases, too much case pressure can stick a case in the chamber inhibiting a strong ejection.
However, stepping up to a .50 bore rifle, physics change, sometimes a lot.
Yup.

My dream single shot is a Ruger #1, .500 Nitro 3 inch.
26" heavy barrel, barrel band NECG Masterpiece front sight with fiber optic, barrel band front sling swivel mount, action mounted custom .180 aperture rear.
There are several No 1's in 500NE so the issues of building one are fairly well known.

Made to measure stock with shadow line cheekpiece, forearm with ebony tip, London oil finish.
Case hardened action and grip cap. Single scope base 2" from the action, set up for a Trijicon SRO. Red Pachmyr Decelerator to 14 1/4" LOP. Jard Trigger.
Should be nice. Get'er done.

I also love single shots. I have a Ruger#1v in 25-06 that has accounted for many Kansas whitetails. I am particularly fond of German falling block single shots, like the one pictured, it is a 8.15x46r, but I have seen this style action chambered in 9.3x74r, I hope to find one at a price & condition I like.
Mike
C9650BD7-3F8E-4587-865C-17E7D5772AF4.jpeg

I also love single shots. I have a Ruger#1v in 25-06 that has accounted for many Kansas whitetails. I am particularly fond of German falling block single shots, like the one pictured, it is a 8.15x46r, but I have seen this style action chambered in 9.3x74r, I hope to find one at a price & condition I like.
MikeView attachment 640541
What system is that action, Adyt? I have a Spanner streacher in 8.15x46R. 9.3x74R is a thumper, I have a drilling 16ga over 9.3x74R. And am also looking for a single shot rifle in that caliber.

What system is that action, Adyt? I have a Spanner streacher in 8.15x46R. 9.3x74R is a thumper, I have a drilling 16ga over 9.3x74R. And am also looking for a single shot rifle in that caliber.
Hello
I am not sure, I have heard it called a System Ideal. I have a dozen or so German schuetzen rifles. Shooting them is my hobby. I don't have a system Stecherspanner, I have a second System Ideal that has been barreled to 6mm Krag, it is the reinforced action and would make a great 9.3x74 I am considering doing that. If you have time, send me a photo of your Stecherspanner by private message I would enjoy seeing it. Don't own a drilling, I do have a combination Simpson Suhl 12ga over 7x65r.
Mike

It's not African stopping power big, but my ruger no3 in 45-70. I whittled down a no1 stock and inlayed Buffalo horn finals and grip cap.
Had a #3 45-70 years ago, loaded up some 550gr cast bullets some one gave me, it hurt to shoot, I sold it.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DominiqueA

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!