Why not a Single Shot?

Did some research (this rifle has piqued my interest, but well beyond my bank account) in Geoff McDonald 's useful Woodleigh reloading manual (essential for african hunter); if I've got it right, this pushes 310 grain solids or softs to 2,050 +/-, with identical SD and BC. An utterly awesome, classic stalking rifle; someone will be blessed to land this ...
I’m in the same boat. It is fantastic isn’t it!? I’m sure it’ll make someone very happy. It would be a blast to hunt with. I actually handled it back in January and it was a joy. Fit me perfectly. Unfortunately haha

Did some research (this rifle has piqued my interest, but well beyond my bank account) in Geoff McDonald 's useful Woodleigh reloading manual (essential for african hunter); if I've got it right, this pushes 310 grain solids or softs to 2,050 +/-, with identical SD and BC. An utterly awesome, classic stalking rifle; someone will be blessed to land this ...
@geoff rath
It's well above my pay grade to.
Guess I will have to make do with the humble 35Whelen and download it to 2,100fps with the 310s.
Nah stuff it the 310s at over 2,400fps inches Whelen will just have to do. Yeah I know I just ain't got any class.
Bob

I just noticed this thread and I certainly enjoy it.

I am a single shot fan for cape buffalo.
I use a converted 10ga. H&R single shot with two switch barrels for cape buffalo. The barrels are a ,577NE and a .50-110. I enjoy the "way" of hunting and shooting cape buffalo with a big bore single shot. It focuses the mind.
My H&R single shot weighs nearly 13 lbs loaded and has straight stock and a 26.5 inch heavy barrel. The recoil is manageable.
Thanks for the great thread and comments. Brian

This is a very good note of caution. In my DG hunting I have needed a quick follow-up shot twice. Once on grizzly and once on buffalo. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does you’d better be ready for it.
YES! If for whatever reason you flub the first shot and are two slow for a follow up shot, you could be in a world of hurt. What if someone else, like a tracker then gets seriously injured?

@AZDAVE - I am pretty much the hunter you describe. My passion for hunting is (was) the result of my passion for fine vintage firearms--much like an M-series Leica photographer whose pleasure in taking pictures results from his intrigue with the rangefinder system. In other words: I hunt so that I can use these rifles much more than the other way around. We all make compromises, like committed bow-hunters well know.

I'm also not a trophy hunter, meaning that I don't think I've ever measured the size of an animal I've ever taken--here at home or elsewhere. Therefore, I have no problem whatsoever passing on a shot at game if I'm not confident that I can make a clean kill. To me, hunting is 1) enjoying my firearms and (when applicable) my handloads, 2) camaraderie with my PH and (when applicable) my buddies, 3) walking and stalking--the more of it the better, 4) learning about fauna and new places, and 5) taking home the memories and, if the gods are on my side, the animals, their beauty and the fine meat and skin they provide.

I already make a big compromise here at home in the form of never hunting from a deer-stand, which is something I find more boring than watching paint dry. Sure, God only knows how many deer I've lost by insisting on my walk-and-stalk methods, but when I do get one it feels like I've scored an Olympic medal.

This is also why I have no problem with my PH tailoring my hunt to my skills and my firearms--again, much like an archery-hunt guide would do. All this is not to say that I'd ever turn my double rifles into safe queens, since I love them just as much--but when I decide to take a single-shot on a hunt, I do so with full awareness of my limitations and my equipment's.
Now, you are right on the money about a single shot rifle being in the same realm as bowhunting! Hadn't thought about it quite like that, but if it is somehow unethical to hunt single shot then it should go double for bow--and we know that BOTH ARE ETHICAL. Great looking guns you have, BTW.

There's a lot of truth in what you say.... unfortunately, as the Chapuis product manager for the USA, I get paid to "love to hate" Blaser and the R8. I frankly do believe that the Chapuis ROLS is a trimmer, better-looking straight-pull rifle with a stronger locking mechanism, but honestly we're splitting hairs. Blaser makes a hell of a rifle, plus they offer a fantastic array of calibers. You'll never hear a single critical word about Blaser from me.

Anyway, back on topic. I view single-shot hunting as being on a continuum between archery and bolt-action hunting. If you look at it as a somewhat specialized proposition--getting closer, being 100% sure of your shot, being willing to pass up opportunities under less-than-ideal conditions--then it makes perfect sense.

My PH has challenged me to not only take a single shot on my 2023 safari (he knows my marked preference for them), but to make it an iron-sights-only proposition. Even closer to archery. I'm working up one of my singles to be the ideal unscoped game-getter. It will either be my H&H with a Lyman sight, which it originally came with (if only I could find the right model!) or my .303 Watson Brothers Martini. The Westley .500 is being worked on by Steven Bertram, so that will be very much in the running as well. This year I've killed a bushbuck with my Martini single, and it felt great--as close as it gets to emulating the hunters from the golden age. Woudln't have it any other way.

View attachment 482641
What is the hat, sir?

On a parting note, I have noticed that for about half the shooters I see, they ALL HAVE A SINGLE SHOT SHOTGUN. One shot is proper and the others are thrown somewhere at the sky! Maybe there is a corollary in rifles...had an acquaintance in high school who always fired every shot out of a Browning BAR as fast as he could pull the trigger at any and all deer. As far as I know, he never hit one...then again, I only knew him for about five years, so he might have improved since then.

Last edited:
There's a lot of truth in what you say.... unfortunately, as the Chapuis product manager for the USA, I get paid to "love to hate" Blaser and the R8. I frankly do believe that the Chapuis ROLS is a trimmer, better-looking straight-pull rifle with a stronger locking mechanism, but honestly we're splitting hairs. Blaser makes a hell of a rifle, plus they offer a fantastic array of calibers. You'll never hear a single critical word about Blaser from me.

Anyway, back on topic. I view single-shot hunting as being on a continuum between archery and bolt-action hunting. If you look at it as a somewhat specialized proposition--getting closer, being 100% sure of your shot, being willing to pass up opportunities under less-than-ideal conditions--then it makes perfect sense.

My PH has challenged me to not only take a single shot on my 2023 safari (he knows my marked preference for them), but to make it an iron-sights-only proposition. Even closer to archery. I'm working up one of my singles to be the ideal unscoped game-getter. It will either be my H&H with a Lyman sight, which it originally came with (if only I could find the right model!) or my .303 Watson Brothers Martini. The Westley .500 is being worked on by Steven Bertram, so that will be very much in the running as well. This year I've killed a bushbuck with my Martini single, and it felt great--as close as it gets to emulating the hunters from the golden age. Woudln't have it any other way.

View attachment 482641

Great picture Tom! I am going to use my No 1 in .275 with a ghost ring for deer this year. As long as I have enough light I’m good to 200 with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanelHoll

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.