Why did you buy a 6.5 Creedmoore?

I’m always amazed at the visceral hatred some have for the 6.5CM. I’m ambivalent regarding this cartridge; it is a cartridge great for some areas and lacking in other areas…just like 99% of all cartridges. Personally, I’m happy with mine just like I am happy with my 308s, 243, 222, 45-70, 30-06, etc, etc.

Had it been developed by someone else as a medium game hunting cartridge with long range shooting ballistics, and named something different like 265 Rigby, 6.5x49 Mauser, 265 Winchester, etc., I wonder - would it elicit the same emotional response when discussed?
Interesting take and agreed.
I’m still in the.277 crowd, but willing to explore the.264 crowd.

Realistically, Hornady has successfully marketed a number of good new cartridges, and the 6.5 Creedmoor is at the apex of successful cartridge design and sound marketing.
All for the good of shooting sports, and adding to the rifle economy. That is important for all riflemen.
Suppliers need success.

As an old school guy, I would prefer the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for my next rifle.

But, if a proper, old school classic rifle, walnut and blue steel 6.5 Creedmoor showed up at a good price, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
A well balanced cartridge, and I can buy ammo locally.

Have been shooting a 6.5CM since 2009.

Accuracy is very good.

Accomplishment:

T box hits at 1300 yards.
Many sub .25moa groups
Won several matches with it

One shot kills on:

Duiker
Impala
Blesbok
Ostrich
Whitetail
Hog
Black Wildebeest
Eland
Giraffe

Other than the Duiker, my 11 year old son took that list. It is a capable cartridge that most people don't give it enough credit.

YMMV
What bullet did you use on the wildebeest and eland and what was the range?

I bought one because the guy I foolishly sold my .270 to wanted a 6.5 CM. So I bought the 6.5 and traded it to him to get my .270 back :)

well. the 6.5 creed more is ballistically speaking superior to the 308 above 600 yards.
no question about that.

6.5 is offering less of recoil, less drop and drift (not so much) in real field conditions.
it is a better choice than the 308 to shoot steel plates at long range....
great to practice on target with a sniper rifle type thinking you Chris Kyle....
Btw Chris Kyle personal rifle was a 308 !

hunting wise... for any game from 0 to 500 yards the 308 is definitely a better choice.
whatever all the expert say the 308 hit way harder than a 6.5.
308 with a 165/168 TMK or LR Accubond is a killer. if you want to shoot a big moose or big elk in timber you go up to 180.... the 7/08 if you reload is the one to pick up.

I think you make broadly good points, but I think that there are several different questions bring asked here.

1) many folks like the 6.5 CM because it's popular, even though its strengths overlap with their use case less than a 7.62x51. .308 Win is a better choice for them, and this is the question that I think you're answering.

2) as soon as a hunter owns guns in multiple calibers, the 6.5 dominates the whitetail, varmints and hogs out to 300 yards category, which covers the vast majority of hunting in the US. One gun with one load that's low recoil and kills everything smaller than an elk out to the Hunter's max range is hard to beat. I think this is the stated reason for the caliber's popularity, though #1 may be more important in practice.

3) the .308 isn't ideal as a "one hunting rifle to rule them all". It's close, but a .338-06 expands the top end to 250 grain bullets while allowing lighter bullets close in power and recoil to the .308. I think that it's possible to build an even more universal NA hunting rifle in the form of a .300 BRANDNAME Short Magnum, but that's even more involved and esoteric than the .338, so we'll exclude that for the "everyman" population that we're considering.

Edit: I just read more and realized that guy was a troll. Sorry.

I am curious, I wonder just how many of the 6.5 Creedmoore fans bought it because a 6.5X55 wasn't readily available and the Creedmoore was?
I will be first to raise my hand, I wanted a 6.5X55, and none were available and if you found one it was out of my price range.
PLEASE let's not get into the love/hate discussions. I am curious, and bet I'm not the only one who bought it because it was readily available and the 6.5X55 wasn't.
Thanks!
My situation is almost the exact inverse of the OP's take. I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor because I own two 6.5x55's. Because of the rarity of off-the-shelf 6.5x55 rifles in the US, I had mine built. My Swedes are perfect for me because I am a rifle crank and a dedicated handloader.

For someone starting with a clean sheet of paper, perhaps looking for a first deer rifle, the 6.5 Creedmoor makes perfect sense. In fact, alongside the 7-08, that is what I recommend to anyone who asks what to buy for their first centerfire hunting rifle. It has every virtue a person could want in a beginning rifle:

1. It is accurate with factory ammunition.
  2. Light recoil, even in a light rifle.
  3. Quality hunting AND match ammunition are easily available off-the-shelf.
  4. Offers terminal and ballistic performance of a kind the shooter will never outgrow and rewards efforts to master it.
If the 6.5x55 is the 6.5 Swede, the 6.5 Creedmoor is the 6.5 American. Considering how resistant the American market has historically been to 6.5mm cartridges and their virtues, the success of the 6.5 Creedmoor ought to be seen as a victory by rifle aficionados.

I am talking to hit a 7/8 inch plate at 700 yards on first shot a "nice day". max 4/5 mph

1MOA at 100 yards is 7MOA at 700yds ..... dang I just learnt something......
yes you maybe need to learn to shoot....

l have been 100/100 on first shot.... last few time I have been doing it with my new rifle.
so probably 8/9 times. I let you know when I miss.

btw I did miss until all my cheat was perfectly calibrate and until I got to know the rifle. from there your muscle memory does everything how you hold the pressure etc etc. if your brain can't remember that at cold you toast.

every time I have been challenged people smile but when they hear the bang on the steel......
they shut up.

I do that with 308 TMK 168 grain black hills 2625 fps.
I don't really care what you think. hunting shooting world are just full of egos. I know a pair fo guy who shoot better than me.... I am fine with that it is motivating....

My rifle with this load is 1/4 MOA at 100 yards.... so if I follow your math I am 1.75 MOA at 700 yards.
it doesn't work this way.... some rifle group better at 300 yards than 100 yards vis and versa.

700 yards is a threshold for the 308.... I won't try to hold MOA on first shot at 800/900 or a 1000.

if you shoot so much you should know some barrels and shooter are very precise but they can't be accurate !

first shot cold bore is all about be accurate.... not precision.... a great sniper is accurate !
you are judge on hit a dickhead on first shot at any distance any conditions up to 1000 yards.

I am not a shooter I am a sniper. I know that and I a fine with. I would not pretend be able to shoot the whole day on paper its too boring for me.

HEROS and US TEAM OF AFRICA GREAT WHITE HUNTER OF THE FORUM AMEN

I’m guessing they don’t drug test and these shooting matches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TravisSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED