Why did you buy a 6.5 Creedmoore?

The 25-06 vs the 6.5 CM. Interesting. Interesting enough that I did a ballistic comparison.

I just reviewed the Nosler "published" load data and bounced that information off my ballistic calculator. Of course, we know that, as handloaders, can push the bullets faster than published data, but since we can do it for both cartridges, I just went with the published data.

I used the Partition, since it is the heaviest 25-06 offering and you could get a Partition bullet in 6.5. At least this keeps the bullets the same...

The 25-06 pushed the 120gr PT at around 3000fps, unless your rifle liked Retumbo. Retumbo kind of stood out as an outlier from the other powders.

The 6.5CM pushed a 140gr PT at 2700; there were several powders that did this but there was no "hot-rod" outlier like Retumbo.

The result at 200yds:
25-06: 1 MOA windage / 1708 ft-lbs
6.5CM: 1 MOA windage / 1711 ft-lbs

At 300yds:
25-06: 2.2 MOA Drop; 4.2 MOA windage / 1423 ft-lbs
6.5CM: 2.6 MOA Drop; 3.9 MOA windage / 1472 ft-lbs

Interestingly, Nosler also makes a 6.5mm 150gr ABLR that can be pushed at 2690ish. I don't have the ballistic calculations for that, but it would push the CM substantially higher.
@Bill J H
Watch Ron Spomers video on the 25-06 versus the 6.5 creede. Very interesting.
Bob

I’m sorry I started this diversion. If I were to buy a creedmore 6.5 it would be it takes full advantage of the newer , more aerodynamic bullets.
Every other 6,5mm cartridge does the same.

HWL

@cajunchefray
If'n I ever did go fer a 6.5 it would bet the unloved much maligned 264 Winchester magnum on a Savage 110 action and a 26" barrel.
Yeah I know I like to over do things
Bob
Just saying
My 264 WinMag has taken game all over Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming…
Years back my nephew took hid first Deer, a Couse Deer, at 510 yards! The Manbun can never compete against a 264 WinMag!!!

Years back my nephew took hid first Deer, a Couse Deer, at 510 yards! The Manbun can never compete against a 264 WinMag!!!

No way it can, now we can compare your 264 WinMag with a 6.5PRC. We will have a better conversation.

@CZDiesel
I did think of necking the 264 down to 257 but it would be very hard on barrels. A nice 1:8 or 1:9 twist for the new 25 cal 135 grainers would be an interesting proposal.
Bob

Oops, I just bought another 6.5 Manbun.

My LGS had a Savage Axis for $225.

I'm not a big Savage Axis fan, but this one had a Zeiss on it!

Anyone need a fine rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmore? (scope not included)

Well, I would have to admit, it must be an EFFICIENT cartridge to get the velocities that are claimed...that is, if it does indeed get them.
Does it indeed kick less than a 7x57? That is pretty light.

Does it indeed kick less than a 7x57? That is pretty light.
Whatever a cartridge you take into consideration, there is no recoil below a 8x68S.....

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linqinggou637

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?