Hunt anything

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
Mozambique, RSAx4, Canada, 17 States
In many parts of the world and even regions of the country; how are wounded animals handled? Is it whomever draws first blood or the person that finishes off the animal? Not necessarily in a PH client situation but on a deer hunt .
I would always finish off a duck or goose if it had definitely been hit to keep it from suffering when guiding.
Just curious

Last edited by a moderator:
Great interesting post. In my US family experience given I come from a long line of deer and dove hunters the answer is who takes the last shot to put the animal down at least in my family. However very different in Africa, the hunter who wounds an animal even if a PH has to put the animal down it is the client who made the wounding shot who owns the animal…just my POV

In Spain on a Monteria (driven hunt) I was able to make a decent shot on a running boar, however it wasn't a quick killing shot and the hunter at the next station finished it. I was grateful and was happy to have him claim the animal, but their custom was first blood was the credited hunter. Here in the states we have usually counted wounded animals against the first hunter's limit, but we don't do driven hunts often. Birds still flying it is usually the finishing shot. Swatting waterfowl is just whoever is closest with a loaded gun.

It probably should be whoever makes the killing shot, but on guided hunts that will probably never be. It is still a business, and they have to keep the clients happy for obvious reasons. Also, it is not like they want to collect an animal for themselves that a client has wounded. They just want to end the suffering.

Anywhere you are paying for the trophy it’s yours after first blood regardless who puts in final shot.

On a guided hunt it has never bothered me if guide or PH felt the need to shoot. We are hunting as a team and it’s still my trophy. I’d rather see it put down as quickly and ethically as possible.

I had one guy shoot at my dog because she swam after a lung shot mallard that landed on my end of the pond. I sent that turd on his way with a BB goose load lobbed in his general direction. Don't mess with my dog.

Back in '82 I cleaned up some other guys' mess finishing off a raghorn elk ... that almost finished me. They wanted to leave it overnight and I wouldn't do that. They hit it in the left ham and I finally took a shot when it stopped at the treeline. Hit him too low but that shot was bleeding him out badly. Got that bull in the neck by flashlight just as he was coming for me. They generously offered me the hind quarter they shot up. I let them have it without a fight. I needed to be to work the next day in the next state ... where my horses were.

Typically, the animal belongs to the one that finishes it. However, most of us will give it back to original shooter if the animal was hit well enough to be mortally wounded. Putting it down expeditiously is a favor to the animal that everyone should respect. I would take very little pride in shooting even a record book animal that someone else had crippled. Not a great story/memory attached to that kind of trophy.

It seems to be different in the US and Africa. I really dislike the US laws that prohibit anyone other than the tag or permit holder to finish a wounded animal. Where I live you can be charged with criminal poaching for finishing off a mortally wounded animal in the highway.

Once wounded by a hunter, it seems most ethical for everyone and anyone to finish the animal. As far as I’m concerned, first blood should have rights to it, but this is often hotly contested, especially on public land.

Typically first person to hit, Birds always the first hit.
Big game its the same. one exception is running whitetails with hounds, thats typically the one that puts it down unless the first shooter obviuosly mortally wounds it.

In North America it’s the person who inflicts the mortal wound. There are reports of someone causing the last flesh wound or shooting downed game to try and claim it as theirs.

In Africa or anywhere a trophy fee is due upon drawing blood, the trophy goes to whoever drew first blood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XiomaraEdm

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe