What's up with todays' gun shops?

I do not. Don't even need iron sights at that range. Not sure what that has to do with anything though as I tend to shoot at longer ranges than that.

do you disagree that a z6i 1-6 is an appropriate optic for a dangerous game rifle or do you disagree that it is an LPVO?
It has everything to do with the conversation! This is an African Hunting Forum, and what lengths do you think most game is taken in Africa?
Bert I’m sure we could be fast friends so I won’t weigh into the forum Sh*t… For almost ALL game hunting and especially African Game hunting all you need is good glass and the appropriate retical…
I grew up in Southern Arizona hunting Desert Mule Deer and Couse Deer, Im quite aware of hunting at long ranges!
I hope your week is going well

I recently acquired a sort-of tacticool low power low price no frill scope for my 404J build rifle. It seems to fit the bill for dangerous game rifle ... except it's matte finish ... which virtually all scopes wear nowadays. The crosshairs are simple duplex and only two turrets (not electrified). The turrets are a bit oversize but not bad. 30mm is a fatter scope but I was able to find a relic super low base to compensate. The gun mounts essentially the same, whether scope or optional iron sights (QD rings). Okay, Bushnell isn't Zeiss or Leopold and the old Weaver 1-piece base isn't Talley, but the scope seems to do the job. For the price, I had nothing to lose. I wasn't sure about the thicker scope so didn't want to spend a pile of money in case it didn't work out. Seems to rather nicely bridge the gap between tactical and DGR.
20240327_144244.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, his advert went something like:)

Howdy neighbor come on down to South Lebanon where you will Save Cash with Cash D. Ambergie.

I mainly grew up in Lebanon, Ohio.
Thank you for posting this. Small world!

Or maybe... our local gun shops are just modern and fashionable, and we are just too old, too conservative, and too unfashionable.....
:unsure:

Or maybe... our local gun shops are just modern and fashionable, and we are just too old, too conservative, and too unfashionable.....
:unsure:

Nah, we just have taste ;)

yes!

We are the league of extraordinary gentlemen of refined taste!

Thank you for helping me getting back in line during my weak moment of doubt!

(y)

Where I live everything is 90% black guns and pistols when I go into the shops looking for USED hunting rifles. They all have new rifles for sale with 99% camo synthetic stocks and many seem to have a SMALL handful of bolt action rifles but half of those are WW2 military rifles. Try and find ANYTHING .338 and up is useless. What has happened? I ask this question to find out if this is a Nationwide trend here and/or in other countries? I guess I'm just fu***** old. LOL
@CoElkHunter - welcome to Y2K and the Gen Z & X buyers: Black-Gun-Fun, semi auto’s only, plastic fantastic stocks, and you MUST have camo for everything!!! It’s great for gun manufacturers because materials are cheap, no craftsmanship required - no hand checkered wood (Hell - No Wood!) No blued barrels, all rifles look ready for another Vietnam. Anyone born before 1970 is going to have a Safe-full-of-guns that No one will buy in another 20 years. Rifles that aren’t semi auto with 20+ round clip and shotguns that don’t shoot a 3 1/2 shell will be determined “inadequate” to kill a deer or duck. Anyway, I’m sounding Old & Grumpy (which I am) but that’s my exaggerated opinion

I recently acquired a sort-of tacticool low power low price no frill scope for my 404J build rifle. It seems to fit the bill for dangerous game rifle ... except it's matte finish ... which virtually all scopes wear nowadays. The crosshairs are simple duplex and only two turrets (not electrified). The turrets are a bit oversize but not bad. 30mm is a fatter scope but I was able to find a relic super low base to compensate. The gun mounts essentially the same, whether scope or optional iron sights (QD rings). Okay, Bushnell isn't Zeiss or Leopold and the old Weaver 1-piece base isn't Talley, but the scope seems to do the job. For the price, I had nothing to lose. I wasn't sure about the thicker scope so didn't want to spend a pile of money in case it didn't work out. Seems to rather nicely bridge the gap between tactical and DGR.
View attachment 611523
@Ontario Hunter - I’m sure it’s a functional scope and know that you are a “no frills” guy — but that looks like a Mail Box on top of a nice classic rifle.

I think Leupold is missing a big niche by no longer making a glossy black scope.

If they would just offer a VX-3HD (or VX-5HD) in something like a 3.5-10 x 40 (no batteries required) in gloss black, they would own the market for scopes on shiny rifles like the Remington 700 BDL or Weatherby Mark V Deluxe.
@Safari Dave - agree a “gloss“ scope looks nice and is what I prefer too. Not sure many others agree or even care and that’s the “Market” Leupold is catering to. Anyone can take a can of Krylon spray paint and apply a matte-black-finish…so what if it resists rust for 90 years vs 50s for high gloss…. I’ve still gotta look at that ugly thing.

Wood and blued steel is sadl on its way out. The Ruger American is the future…lowest cost, machine made, plastic stock…but still very accurate.

I hate it…but people don’t want to spend the money.
@lockingblock - that’s ok because a lot of “us” are On-Our-Way-Out too….and I’m taking my wood stocked/blued guns with me!!

Anyone born before 1970 is going to have a Safe-full-of-guns that No one will buy in another 20 years.
Good for gun factories.
This also means, evergreen classic rifles will continue to climb in price.

All of you need to go to a Swedish gun store. They're usually filled with blued steel and wood and doubles are not that uncommon either. Used stuff is also dirt cheap compared to the us.

All of you need to go to a Swedish gun store. They're usually filled with blued steel and wood and doubles are not that uncommon either. Used stuff is also dirt cheap compared to the us.
@Pirkan - that’s a bit of a drive from the U.S…..but good to know if I look to move there. Nice that other Countries enjoy quality activities.

@Ontario Hunter - I’m sure it’s a functional scope and know that you are a “no frills” guy — but that looks like a Mail Box on top of a nice classic rifle.
It's not quite THAT ugly. For a "tactical" scope it is relatively unobtrusive. And it's highly functional. 4.5" scope relief means I don't have to worry about the only eye I've got left that sees things getting thunked, even if I don't have a vice grip on the gun when it fires. No electric Christmas tree reticle. Don't need that crap. Wish it wasn't flat black and I could do without the white lettering. This is a hunting rifle scope not a tire for 1970 Camero. But it works. For now anyway.

Until recently the rifle was wearing my old Springfield's "classic" 1" blued metal Weaver K3.
20231019_114147.jpg

But it sent me a message the first time I fired it.
20230722_081141.jpg

Note the left eye doesn't track the same. It wears a silicon buckle around the outside and a pile of scar tissue inside. The right eye retina has also had several laser repairs. I moved the scope forward as insurance but it didn't acquire as quickly as I'd like. Fast acquisition is kinda important for DGR.

It's not quite THAT ugly. For a "tactical" scope it is relatively unobtrusive. And it's highly functional. 4.5" scope relief means I don't have to worry about the only eye I've got left that sees things getting thunked, even if I don't have a vice grip on the gun when it fires. No electric Christmas tree reticle. Don't need that crap. Wish it wasn't flat black and I could do without the white lettering. This is a hunting rifle scope not a tire for 1970 Camero. But it works. For now anyway.

Until recently the rifle was wearing my old Springfield's "classic" 1" blued metal Weaver K3.
View attachment 611534
But it sent me a message the first time I fired it.
View attachment 611532
Note the left eye doesn't track the same. It wears a silicon buckle around the outside and a pile of scar tissue inside. The right eye retina has also had several laser repairs. I moved the scope forward as insurance but it didn't acquire as quickly as I'd like. Fast acquisition is kinda important for DGR.
@Ontario Hunter - Ontario you’re right, it’s Not really that bad and you’ve got very good reasons for using it…”function” being one of them. Regarding the “white lettering” - I believe that is called “branding” and Now everything sold has a giant “Logo” on it to advertise it’s brand….apparently Everyone knowing what “brand” you are using is very important.

I am probably one of the few who bridge the gap. I love classic hunting rifles. Blued steel and wood are amazing.

That said I think everyone needs a couple plastic no good ARs (or 5 since they’re cheap). I like classic military rifles with everything from trapdoor springfields to FALs, HK91/G3/ and up into the modern SCAR. Plastic stock hunting rifles have their place. I have a .380 semi auto pocket pistol and a Redhawk .44 mag revolver.

Biggest thing I want to say so it’s not an echo chamber is don’t just bash because everyone don’t like the same as us. I say the same on other forums where young guys bash all the old guys who only care about their “Fudd guns” as they call classic hunting rifles.

They all have a place in this big ol world of ours. And as long as we have many enthusiasts in our passion it’ll help preserve that for a long time.

I do gunshows a lot as the community I’m in is too small to support my business alone. And I shudder at some of the ghastly stuff I sell. But if it makes someone interested in the sport, it’s an improvement for all of us.

I must be one out in this discussion about gun shops . I live about 4 miles from the Australian distributor for Rigby & Purdey . Was in there the other day to pick up a beautiful leather rifle case for my Rigby . He always has interesting classic rifles both new and old . A little further up the road circa 6 miles is Rebel Gunworks . They handle amazing stuff . Had Holland and Jeffery double rifles in transit recently . I picked up a beautiful cased Powell shotgun with 2 barrels there last week . I am fortunate to be near some really cool firearm shops in Brisbane .

Been trending this was for a long time. Even beginning well before Jim Zumbo was run out of town for publicly criticizing black rifles some 18+ years ago. After Slick Willy banned import of cheap ($79) SKSs, every tacticool inspired idiot suddenly fell in love military/paramilitary semi-autos for “self defense”, plinking and big game hunting.

Where I live everything is 90% black guns and pistols when I go into the shops looking for USED hunting rifles. They all have new rifles for sale with 99% camo synthetic stocks and many seem to have a SMALL handful of bolt action rifles but half of those are WW2 military rifles. Try and find ANYTHING .338 and up is useless. What has happened? I ask this question to find out if this is a Nationwide trend here and/or in other countries? I guess I'm just fu***** old. LOL

Agreed!

There is a great boutique gun shop in one of our local suburbs in Minnesota and the owner, Jason, I will personally work with people all around the country for their hunting rifles and shotguns.

I purchased my DR from him.

The shop is called Gentz Sporting arms in Lakeville, Minnesota.

Griffin & Howe would be a fun place to visit. That's a far cry from your average gun shop.

They are the most down to earth people you'll ever meet and I am not being sarcastic. They did me a solid on my rifle I took to Africa. I had an "issue" with a Browning X-bolt. I didn't buy it from them but 2 months out from safari it was an emergency. I had them evaluate the gun. I expected to get a substantial bill. I did not. They charged me $0 and told me I was good to go. I went to their gunsmith facility as well to thank the guys and handled some guns that I will never be able to afford in my lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yaryan Taxidermy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt