What's the next cartridge your looking to add to your collection and what role will it fill?

A commercial FN 9,3x62, with the solid left sidewall and Mauser bolt release and claw extractor. This rifle will sport a Swarovski 3-9x36, and be my scoped counterpart to my open-sighted Type A Oberndorf 9,3x62.

Over the yers I’ve grown very attached to having a scoped and open-sighted version of the classic calibers. .22 LR; 6,5x57; 7x57;8x60S, 9,3x62and what else life blesses me.

I would also really love an original.333 Jefferey.

I'd like to find a mint conditions Sauer 90 in 243, as I already have 3 of that model (I'm a huge fan of the old, West Germany, Sauers). It would be a delicious Roebuck "dedicated" rifle. I would fit it with EAW rings and bases like the others, and possibly with a Zeiss Victory HT 2.5/10 x 50. Sure, it would be nice to find a 6,5 x 57 too, but between the two, I'd pick up the 243, as the latter is cheaper and more common to find, and it also give me a bit more gap from the next up caliber I have, a 270. Really hope to find one.
@Phil Giordano Have a look here 243 is out of fashion in the uk. Everyone wants a 6.5 manbun. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.32.49 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.32.49 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.32.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 8.32.51 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
A .308 is in the near future for me, well actually my daughter. She's starting to talk favorably about going to Africa in a couple years so I want her to step up to the .308 next year. Can't beat the bullet selection .
Agree with your choice of .308, my Son used that on our 1st Safari in Tanzania: Impala, Water buck, huge hyena. All one shot kills except the Hyena (poor bullet placement combined with a tuff tuff animal). There is a reason that classic calibers like the .308 remain popular after 100 years - THEY WORK.

The more I look at this question, the more I'm tempted to go the classic English or Euro route; after all, most of them have worked so well for a century or so ...
I also like the “classic” calibers starting with .22RF then moving in order: .243, .308, .30-06, .375 H&H, .470NE. I can’t make an argument to “need” any more (unless I start hunting somewhere other then planet Earth) but collecting is rarely based on “need”. SO throw in a .22-250 for varmints and a few shotguns.....think that covers it. (Although no one needs a “reason” to ADD a few more).

I have one of the new Remington 7 PRCs arriving soon; I'll try it on an elk.

Just ordered another Heym "Express Rifle" in 300 Win Mag. I have a Heym 300 Win Mag "HPPR" - High Performance Precision Rifle, but I want to set up a rifle for next year's leopard hunt.

I have an early Wthrby Mark V 300 Mag, and it was a tack-driver until I had a muzzle brake installed. Now it's all over the place and I don't really know what to do - new barrel maybe.

My Heym 500 NE Double is still a few months out. It will replace my 450/400 for elephant and cape buffalo. That 450/400 has dropped 3 elephants, a half dozen buffalo, a giraffe, and a zebra (don't ask), and is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Honestly, I don't know why/if the 450/400 needs to be replaced other than in those up close and personal situations I've found myself in lately - a bigger calibre wouldn't be a bad idea.

Agree with your choice of .308, my Son used that on our 1st Safari in Tanzania: Impala, Water buck, huge hyena. All one shot kills except the Hyena (poor bullet placement combined with a tuff tuff animal). There is a reason that classic calibers like the .308 remain popular after 100 years - THEY WORK.
Yeah I really like the classic calibers, I want something my great grandkids can find ammo for in 100 years. If she were a smaller girl I might have gone with the 7 mm08 ( she's 5' 1" and 110 pounds) but a .308 won't be a problem. Sounds like a great time in Tanzania!

9mm and 10mm
9mm because I had 2 in the past, didn't like either and sold them. Now I need another.
10mm for a smaller, higher capacity option in the back country. (I use a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag now)

I can't think of too many gaps. Maybe a 338 Lapua for extreme long range. Most likely scenario is my wife gets that, she'd probably take possession anyway;)

To solve that issue, I need a 577NE not to fill a gap but sit on top:)

8mm Remington mag & 404 Jeffery

I have 22LR, 22-250, 6.5 GAP SAUM (Gnat Ass Precision), 30-06, 300WSM, 375 H&H and 458Lott. Thinking I need a 416 Rigby??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfhrfjrtyergdf

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles