What's the next cartridge your looking to add to your collection and what role will it fill?

I collection of 7mm rem mag 300 wm 340 wby 338/06,35 whelen 375 hh,416 rem mag ,458 wm ,458 lott 450 ackley 460 wby and DB 470 nitro.
it seems I usually lean towards the 375 h/h either as my bolt action or double

I'd like to find a mint conditions Sauer 90 in 243, as I already have 3 of that model (I'm a huge fan of the old, West Germany, Sauers). It would be a delicious Roebuck "dedicated" rifle. I would fit it with EAW rings and bases like the others, and possibly with a Zeiss Victory HT 2.5/10 x 50. Sure, it would be nice to find a 6,5 x 57 too, but between the two, I'd pick up the 243, as the latter is cheaper and more common to find, and it also give me a bit more gap from the next up caliber I have, a 270. Really hope to find one.

There are three gun shows nearby next weekend. Let's go find you that 30 cal Magnum next Sunday. ;-)

I am rolling out of town tomorrow at 330 (beat the friday afternoon rush hour traffic) and headed to deer camp.. Ive got a weekend of "maintenance" work during the day, and hog hunting planned at night..

wont be home until fairly late on Sunday...

this is how I protect myself from the temptations of gun shows... :)

I am rolling out of town tomorrow at 330 (beat the friday afternoon rush hour traffic) and headed to deer camp.. Ive got a weekend of "maintenance" work during the day, and hog hunting planned at night..

I meant the weekend of the 23rd/24th, so you'll need to find an additional diversion. ;-)

Didn’t realize there was any good time to beat the DFW rush hour. I only drive it 4 times a year and would rather cut pulp wood in hell than to drive it more often. The upside is I’m headed through to go hunt so I guess I shouldn’t complain.

Went hog hunting last weekend. Put 25 down in less than 30 mins. It can be an addictive sport.

Lots of options to choose from there. 323's, 338's, 358's, 375s, 416s, 423s etc.

Did you consider the 416 RemMag when you decided on the Taylor? Im guessing sourcing ammo would be less of a challenge.
I never really considered the .416 Rem or .416 Ruger. I did consider the .416 Rigby and .404 Jeffery, ultimately ending up with the Taylor. Most of which would be easier to procure ammunition for vs. the .416 Taylor, with the possible exception of the .404J.

I considered the .338-06 and .338WM as well. I ended up with a MRC 1999 in .375HH.

At some point in the not to distant future I’ll have to rig them out, procure ammo, and head to the range. Trying to enjoy the journey.

I am having a 35 Whelen and a 9.3x62 being put together now. Both from Ruger M77s, MarkI II that are currently 30.06s. That should have me completely covered from 22LR, 223 Rem, 270 win, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H and 404 Jeffery and once I get the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x62 I think I’ll have all my bases covered from squirrels to Elephants.

What's the next on your list and does it fill in any "gaps" in your collection?

I'm personally leaning toward a 338WM for a moderate thumper that is effective at reaching out beyond the limits of my .308.
I am planning on a .375 H&H Whitworth, I have a gap between 30-06- to my .458 Whitworth. Also I would pick up a.505 gibbs if the price is reasonable (always loved the 505)

I never really considered the .416 Rem or .416 Ruger. I did consider the .416 Rigby and .404 Jeffery, ultimately ending up with the Taylor. Most of which would be easier to procure ammunition for vs. the .416 Taylor, with the possible exception of the .404J.

I considered the .338-06 and .338WM as well. I ended up with a MRC 1999 in .375HH.

At some point in the not to distant future I’ll have to rig them out, procure ammo, and head to the range. Trying to enjoy the journey.
One of the sponsors, Raven Rock Precision has 416 Taylor brass in stock. You can also make brass from 458 win and 338 win brass.

For me I’d like to build a 6mm ARC on a Howa mini action for long range steel and coyotes. Otherwise I will likely be saving for a double rifle in some flavor of buff killing cartridge. I will only ever get to hunt Cape buffalo once and that involves doing it my way with a double rifle.

I really want a SxS 12 gauge next and then rifles.

In no particular order:

- 340 Weatherby
- 50 BMG
- 500 A-Frame or 505 Gibbs
- 25-06

I should have also included the shotguns… I have a pedestrian Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore that is very ill fitting. Want to replace it with a greener boxlock 12 bore that is on its way as my general workhorse. And then still find a nice sidelock in 12 bore as well as a 16 or 20 bore round action.

I should have also included the shotguns… I have a pedestrian Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore that is very ill fitting. Want to replace it with a greener boxlock 12 bore that is on its way as my general workhorse. And then still find a nice sidelock in 12 bore as well as a 16 or 20 bore round action.
And I should have said “A-Square” instead of “A-Frame” :p

I would love a 16 sxs or drilling, but I am setup to reload 12ga/bore

I know it would have been step one, but I’m looking for a nice bolt action .22 with iron sights

340 WM is/was my best single rifle purchase! I've shot every bullet from 160 grains to 275 and taken animals from pigs to elk. The caliber just performs better/further than I can ever do myself. And with bullets from 210 grains down, the recoil is very manageable (for me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HolleyShep

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg