What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

And it's called "The Lion", even better! Specs make it seem big, how is it on wrist?

Everything is Ti so it’s real light. 16.8mm thick, but case shape wraps and sits well on my wrist. I wear big watches well. I like them slightly loose, like my women.

Grand Seiko’s logo is the lion. The dial is their interpretation of a lions mane. It for the 20th anniversary of spring drive 9R96 movement.

IMG_3072.jpeg

I ran a 110lb jack hammer for two days, powered by a 100hp Ingersol Rand diesel generator that sounded like a Huey hovering in the yard....hammering out a reinforced slab that I'd made to last 200 years....which lived up to its design. Made "The Boss" a new Patio and wanted it all red, so the gray existing slab had to go. My hands turned into "claws" and wouldn't uncurl for several days!
I said "generator"....I meant to say "air compressor." The thing was the size of a pick up truck. I pulled it home with my Ram 2500. It held 50 gallons of diesel, and sounded like a Huey hovering in the yard beside me. But it made lots of air :)

Good thread.

Usually 'Old Faithful'

IMG_6413.jpg

Pure function. My previous G-Shock must be close to 20 years old now, was passed on to my son and is still going strong.

When the urge for bit more bling hits, the Citizen Promaster gets a run.

IMG_6394.jpg

Also have a current production Seiko 5 Automatic in the mix.

SRPG35K Seiko.jpg

@Tintin - I had the same Mudman model (stolen at the gym) and still use a Casio G-Shock that's solar powered with atomic timekeeping at work. Great watches.

The Seiko is amazing as well. What a great field watch.

EDIT - Regarding the G-Shock watches, I was more likely to wear out the strap than actually break the watch. I found that switching to a NATO strap with adapters screwed into the G-Shock solved the problem. I've been using the same strap from BluShark for the last 5 or 6 years...no signs of wear with HARD daily use. And much more comfortable than the original strap.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @BeeMaa - some of your timepieces are very easy on the eye and have added richness to the thread.

Bummer about the theft - I reckon watches, even something basic like a G-Shock, can take on a real sentimental value when you've been to amazing places and done special things with them on.

Maybe Casio need to introduce some dye-pack type device to aid in identifying thieving gym scumbags :ROFLMAO:

Being a sucker for gadgets, I've looked at some of the Atomic models over the years. Unfortunately the service is not available here. Syncing can apparently be done indirectly through some smartphone apps etc ;-(.

Thanks a lot @BeeMaa - some of your timepieces are very easy on the eye and have added richness to the thread.

Bummer about the theft - I reckon watches, even something basic like a G-Shock, can take on a real sentimental value when you've been to amazing places and done special things with them on.

Maybe Casio need to introduce some dye-pack type device to aid in identifying thieving gym scumbags :ROFLMAO:

Being a sucker for gadgets, I've looked at some of the Atomic models over the years. Unfortunately the service is not available here. Syncing can apparently be done indirectly through some smartphone apps etc ;-(.
I appreciate your comments. Thank you sir.

Seems the Australian government shutdown the radio frequencies used for atomic timekeeping with the advent of GPS. There has been some success picking up the atomic signal coming out of Japan in the Brisbane area. Not sure why Brisbane on the east coast sees results while places like Darwin that are closer to Japan don't.

Best bet is to sync using an app on your phone or do it manually. I know it can be a PITA to do it manually but most modern digital timepieces keep really good time and shouldn't need adjusting more than once every couple of months, if not just once a year.

First watch I’ve owned since a Fossil in middle school. Got it today!
View attachment 577851

With apologies to "Mick Dundee" (Paul Hogan), "That's not a Longines ... THIS is a Longines!"

Longines face.jpg

Longines case.jpg

Just kidding; I like the looks of your wristwatch. Simple, uncluttered, and elegant.
Although suddenly I have the urge to book a hunt for Jaguar......

Lately Hamilton, Khaki Field, Mechanical , ,I like actually winding a watch in the morning and at night, keeps good time and sometimes I take my Ball Railroad pocket watch if using a classic rifle .....
I picked up one of those myself, for those days when I wear a wristwatch. The luminous hands aren't as bright as I would like, but otherwise I am very pleased with it. Another watch that looks good and is sufficiently accurate, while not being over-cluttered.

Hamilton Khaki.jpg

A sun dial mostly, or nothing, I used to use pocket watches.

You guys are killing me…but have inspired me. I have always liked watches but can’t buy something I haven’t worn in close to 30 years. I almost bought a Rolex back then, but now I wish I had since they have doubled in price.

So…I bought a watch recently. I have always thought the Timex Expedition was cool and realistically fits my lifestyle and personality these days. If I actually wear it daily I might look into that nicer watch in the future.

It’s no Breitling, but simple and functional and when it gets used and worn I won’t cry.

IMG_0671.jpg

I reckon the Timex Expedition is a great looking watch for the $s - and by all reports a sturdy performer.

The Timex brand has some cool heritage, in addition to producing watches for the military, they made artillery and bomb fuses.

:ROFLMAO: You guys are killing me…but have inspired me. I have always liked watches but can’t buy something I haven’t worn in close to 30 years. I almost bought a Rolex back then, but now I wish I had since they have doubled in price.

So…I bought a watch recently. I have always thought the Timex Expedition was cool and realistically fits my lifestyle and personality these days. If I actually wear it daily I might look into that nicer watch in the future.

It’s no Breitling, but simple and functional and when it gets used and worn I won’t cry.

I've followed your lead @Inkgardener - local Amazon had Expeditions for AU$59 with free post - so one is on the way.

All this watch talk got me searching for a couple of my old watches from decades past that had stopped working and been languishing in storage.

Found them.

A Traser H3 6502 Navigator 'Sterile' - with long expired tritium.

Traser.jpg

and a vintage TAG Heuer F1 - from when I was trying to be one of the cool kids in the eighties. :ROFLMAO:

Tag Heuer.jpg

Waiting to hear back from the repairer to see if there is any hope for them.

While in watch mode - I picked up a new strap for the Seiko 5

new band Seiko 5.jpg

I've followed your lead @Inkgardener - local Amazon had Expeditions for AU$59 with free post - so one is on the way.

and a vintage TAG Heuer F1 - from when I was trying to be one of the cool kids in the eighties. :ROFLMAO:

1707474666084.jpeg
This Tag looks like the ones my parents have been wearing since the early 90’s. I’m going to send them a text and see if they will send a picture.

This Tag looks like the ones my parents have been wearing since the early 90’s. I’m going to send them a text and see if they will send a picture.

Cool - I reckon I got mine about '89 from memory.:unsure:

Sounds like your folks got better longevity from theirs than I did (y)

Cool - I reckon I got mine about '89 from memory.:unsure:

Sounds like your folks got better longevity from theirs than I did (y)
They were all worn down the last time I saw them and they were still wearing them daily. My dad has the batteries changed every year before he goes diving. Yeah…that’s been his “dive” watch for 30+ years. LOL.

I gotta get a picture.

1707482310045.jpeg

@Tintin - said they got them in 1992. Picture taken this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurus4d

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg