What Is Your Dream Rifle?

Two doubles matching set

One
O/U double 450/400 Ne/450 NE 25 inch with a set of 12ga barrels 28 inch and 5 chokes cylinder, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full
Two
O/U double 9.3x74R/9.3×74R 224 inch with a second set of barrels 7x65R/7x65R 26 inch
Brno made all this but the .450/400 NE

Sometimes, you can find the Brno O/Us as used ones.

Sometimes quite cheap and in good condition.

HWL

I think, given what I already have, that I would like a WR drop lock double, built to fit, in 450-400 3".

Most of my dream rifles I already own. However, if I had to pick one more it would be a super fancy, small frame 450/400 with 26" barrels; and it would need to be built and regulated to shoot 1.5 MOA or under with my requested loads; and never suddenly start shooting 6+ MOA and crossing because I purchased the reloading components from a different source, changes in weather or lunar cycle, or any other unexplainable excuse for the rifle to start shooting like crap and need to go to JJ. :LOL::LOL:

Most of my dream rifles I already own. However, if I had to pick one more it would be a super fancy, small frame 450/400 with 26" barrels; and it would need to be built and regulated to shoot 1.5 MOA or under with my requested loads; and never suddenly start shooting 6+ MOA and crossing because I purchased the reloading components from a different source, changes in weather or lunar cycle, or any other unexplainable excuse for the rifle to start shooting like crap and need to go to JJ. :LOL::LOL:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 2.08.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 2.08.58 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 2.09.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 2.09.00 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Good question! I think I've had and sold just about every one of my "dream rifles" over the years or I thought they should have been my dream rifle at the time. :) That includes a pretty good variety too- many manufacturers, models and calibers. But no doubles... they never did anything for me.

I suppose I have my two dream rifles right now that I never predicted as my dream rifles in any way! Won't be selling either. One is an original 54 cal M1841 Mississippi rifle by Whitney- one of the gov contractors. Shoots a lead conical over real blackpowder with unbelievable accuracy and is scary simple!

The other is a lightly used modern bolt gun, acquired as a tool for a specific purpose. Traded a $900 SAA Colt pistol for it. A common, "pedestrian" rifle. An early 2000s New Haven Winchester 70 in 416 Rem Mag. It worked perfectly for its intended purpose. And the more I shot it and handled it, the more I came to realize how good it really is. Just never know about those dream rifles. :)

As a follow up. OK Here they are. My dream rifles that were determined to be so... after the fact. 30-40 years ago, I wouldn't have "thunk" it :)

Top is the 54 cal, US Model 1841, aka Mississippi rifle. Target is 5 shots at 50 yards shooting a 410 gr Minie over real black powder. Super simple, fixed sights front and rear. POI is on POA at 50 yards. I would not hesitate using this combination on something like deer, elk or any PG out to 100 yds.

Bottom is the 416 Rem Mag, Win 70, New Haven early 2000s with Leupold 2.5x Ultralight in DD mounts. Target is a 2" orange bull PH placed on tree at about 55 yds for me to check zero before buffalo hunt. One shot off hood of cruiser. POA was at the black diamond. PH just smiled after the shot. :) I wouldn't hesitate to use this for either DG or PG. IIRC the longest shot on PG with bullet impact exactly on intended spot was an eland at about 200-225 yds. It chambers and cycles flat nose, round nose, spire points and empty cases with uncanny speed and smoothness. It shoots 370 & 400 gr bullets with unfailing accuracy.For hunting, I use North Fork CPSs, TSXs and A-Frames in the 416. The buff in the pic with the orange bull, was with a 400 gr A-Frame.

M1841  & M70.png

M1841 with Minie and 5 shots @ 50 yd target .jpeg

416 RM target.jpeg

A well fit & sound 500 Jeffery Bolt, period.

Any suggestions? @IvW , etc, ... ?

My early 2000s New Haven Win 70 416 RM, chambering an empty. One of the reasons it became one of my dream rifles. :)

My dream rifle for a long time has been anything in 505 Gibbs. I just love big bore rifles. I have had 375 h&h mag and 458 win mag. I want to replace both of them. Had to sell them when I needed the money. I still want a 505 Gibbs

That mea
ns finding the best gunsmith out there, and forking out BIG money; then waiting .... and waiting ...

Or buy vintage guns at 1/10th to 1/20th modern replacement costs.

You have to separate best quality from “bespoke first buyer experience”. If you’re wealthy enough to have a made to order 375HH made for you for $150,000, more power to you. If you want the quality even if was not made for you, there are plenty of H&H guns around for <$15,000.

At a more economical comparison, you can order a brand new Parkwest for $15,000 or you can buy a lightly used dakota for half of that.

The least happy people on this forum are those that had to have it their way, with their strange caliber, with their strange tastes, then they got sick of the gun and are trying to recoup their $10,000+ investment in some one-off obscure non-collectible for full price. It doesn’t work that way. If you have wacky preferences just assume what you ordered for yourself is worth almost nothing if you decide to sell it.

Left hand, half-stocked percussion English sporting rifle with a 28" Metford rifled barrel. Caliber .451". With case and accoutrements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?