What are my options for a current production crf 375 h&h rifle?

Show me a $50,000-$500,000 Mauser with a high comb and I'll show you 100 specimens with a low comb. When resources permit doing a job right, they do the job without compromise. Using your circular logic, you couldn't get proper scope mounts for a low installation, so therefore you prefer a monte carlo stock that goes along with your less than optimal rings.

I think Jefferey, Rigby, Smithson, G&H, Ramirez, and Hartman & Weis would all disagree with your assertion that "low comb straight stock thumper guns are typically for iron sights only" whatever that word salad is supposed to mean.

There is a right way to do things and the right way rarely involves parts available at a local Cabelas. That isn't a critique of cost or frugality, only a critique of quality and forethought.
Yeah, yeah. Back to that rich man's logic re just because it costs more it must be the best. Quality can be affordable. I found rings and bases that work perfectly on both Monte Carlo stocked rifles. Whether scopes are off or attached, the rifles mount the same and acquire instantly. There is no way I could mount the scope on my 404 low enough to acquire as quickly without a slightly raised comb. Scope is now mounted so low that I had to trim some of the bolt handle to clear the ocular bell. Expensive African guns are designed for nostalgia more than anything else. We all know it. It's what sells to the pith helmet crowd and they're the ones who can afford to buy those guns. Has little to do with what actually works best. Same straight comb "classic" godzilla-expensive British custom gun will retain flag safety and gawduful high scope mount just to preserve the Stewart Granger look and avoid a "modern" side safety. Try to find the crosshairs on one of those guns in a hurry. Ugh! But hey, for a bespoke rifle that costs $17K and wears AAA walnut, quick acquisition really doesn't matter.

Yeah, yeah. Back to that rich man's logic re just because it costs more it must be the best. Quality can be affordable. I found rings and bases that work perfectly on both Monte Carlo stocked rifles. Whether scopes are off or attached, the rifles mount the same and acquire instantly. There is no way I could mount the scope on my 404 low enough to acquire as quickly without a slightly raised comb. Scope is now mounted so low that I had to trim some of the bolt handle to clear the ocular bell. Expensive African guns are designed for nostalgia more than anything else. We all know it. It's what sells to the pith helmet crowd and they're the ones who can afford to buy those guns. Has little to do with what actually works best. Same straight comb "classic" godzilla-expensive British custom gun will retain flag safety and gawduful high scope mount just to preserve the Stewart Granger look and avoid a "modern" side safety. Try to find the crosshairs on one of those guns in a hurry. Ugh! But hey, for a bespoke rifle that costs $17K and wears AAA walnut, quick acquisition really doesn't matter.

The difference between what I wrote and what you wanted to believe I wrote is one of quality, not cost.

Your strawman arguments that best guns are somehow inferior to your guns is laughable. A stocker from a London or Birmingham house forgets more about gun fit by 8:01am each morning than most people know in a lifetime. Your assertion that the best makers use flag safeties and high rings on new production guns is baseless. Its not that you just extoll your own guns, its that you're deluded into thinking anything exceptional is actually inferior to your stuff.

I don't think you need to spend a lot of money to own an exceptional quality gun. You like to spend a fair amount of money on unexceptional guns, poorly laid out, poor geometry, with poor quality components. Go for it. I don't fault any man for buying what he can afford, but I do find it odd that you like to hold your rifles, cases, swivels, and pretty much everything up to be THE standard of quality when in actuality it is below the standard I would recommend to anyone of any means. Everyone I know on this forum thinks your photos absolutely undermine your points and serve as a cautionary tale to others.

I don't want to make this personal, I just think your discernment is poor when it comes to guns and equipment and that you paid way too much for way too little. I don't think you have the self awareness to pick up on that, but it certainly embarrasses yourself when you do show-and-tell proclaiming that what you have is an example of the right way to do something when its all half-ass hack jobs.

Last edited:
There are a lot of custom rifles available on the resale market in "CRF" that would provide on opportunity to save money on ammo or just be a great value! Likely less than the highest end of your budget. And many of them have only been on 1 Safari and shot less than a 100 times.. Just something to think about...

Montana Rifle Company will be releasing their .375 H&H eventually. They are actually shooting the prototype now. You could wait for one of the new DG models. They wont be cheap. But they will be accurate and beautiful

Why don't you have a rifle built? I built this 404 Jeffery on a Czech 98 Mauser. I have a bit more than $2500 in it. Barrel by Lija, affixed by Dennis Olsen, iron sights are used Winchester Safari Express from ebay, Timney trigger, Parkwest 3-position Model 70 style safety, Swift-Blackburn bottom metal, Warne QD rings, new 1-4 Bushnell scope, and a used commercial Mauser stock that I refinished and restored. I did everything but put on the barrel and open the bolt face. I would guess a good gunsmith could do my labor for maybe an additional $1500.

Why don't you have a rifle built? I built this 404 Jeffery on a Czech 98 Mauser. I have a bit more than $2500 in it. Barrel by Lija, affixed by Dennis Olsen, iron sights are used Winchester Safari Express from ebay, Timney trigger, Parkwest 3-position Model 70 style safety, Swift-Blackburn bottom metal, Warne QD rings, new 1-4 Bushnell scope, and a used commercial Mauser stock that I refinished and restored. I did everything but put on the barrel and open the bolt face. I would guess a good gunsmith could do my labor for maybe an additional $1500.
View attachment 637364
I hope you don’t mind me asking, but did Dennis Olsen build the entire rifle? Obviously you said it started from a Czech Mauser.

The difference between what I wrote and what you wanted to believe I wrote is one of quality, not cost.

Your strawman arguments that best guns are somehow inferior to your guns is laughable. A stocker from a London or Birmingham house forgets more about gun fit by 8:01am each morning than most people know in a lifetime. Your assertion that the best makers use flag safeties and high rings on new production guns is baseless. Its not that you just extoll your own guns, its that you're deluded into thinking anything exceptional is actually inferior to your stuff.

I don't think you need to spend a lot of money to own an exceptional quality gun. You like to spend a fair amount of money on unexceptional guns, poorly laid out, poor geometry, with poor quality components. Go for it. I don't fault any man for buying what he can afford, but I do find it odd that you like to hold your rifles, cases, swivels, and pretty much everything up to be THE standard of quality when in actuality it is below the standard I would recommend to anyone of any means. Everyone I know on this forum thinks your photos absolutely undermine your points and serve as a cautionary tale to others.

I don't want to make this personal, I just think your discernment is poor when it comes to guns and equipment and that you paid way too much for way too little. I don't think you have the self awareness to pick up on that, but it certainly embarrasses yourself when you do show-and-tell proclaiming that what you have is an example of the right way to do something when its all half-ass hack jobs.
Gee, I'm not supposed to take it personal when you describe my guns as "half-ass hack jobs?" Hmmm ... okay. :D :D

You've never shot or handled either gun but somehow you're an an expert on their poor quality. Let's investigate your assumption. First, I've never heard anyone, other than you, describe 03A3 or Brno vz.24 actions as "unexceptional" or "poor quality." Lija barrels have won a lot of international competitions. Mine didn't come cheap. But it wasn't ridiculous expensive either. Some time ago I posted two YouTube videos of me loading and cycling the 404J I built. One video is snap over on rounds dropped in the chamber, the other is loading a full magazine and cycling them out. Very slick, very fast, and flawless. The gun is not British bespoke eye candy but it ain't hard on the eyes either. The trigger and 3-position safety I installed are Timney and Parkwest (formerly Dakota). Both names are associated with quality components. The Swift bottom metal wasn't Sunny Hill quality ... when it arrived. But it cost $300 less. After I finished a bit of polishing, I doubt anyone could tell them apart. The New England Custom Gun magnum follower I installed was as good as anything Rigby or Jeffery makes. A follower is a follower. The art is in making one fit the gun/cartridge. I found a moose camp guide in New Brunswick who does fantastic bluing. And very reasonably. Guess I could have sent the gun to England to be blued but I have seen enough bespoke rifles to know the difference, if any, would be negligible. The price tag difference would be less negligible. Warne rings have a dedicated following on this forum. I doubt you will find anyone (except you) who faults their quality. Bushnell scope is a cheap one but purported to have a good warranty. Cheap enough for me to try it out and back out if it doesn't work out. It looks right on that rifle, works fine (so far), and I don't have to worry about damaging it. I saved a thousand bucks to spend on another kudu.This single leaf Winchester iron sight is not multi flip-leaf express ... and I'm glad! A 300 yard rear leaf on a dangerous game rifle is useless as tits on a boar. My 404's Winchester rear sight is adjustable all ways and the screw-on front sight/ramp that came with it was easily installed and easily changed. The stock, scope, and sights fit me perfectly. You've never shouldered the gun but somehow you know the "geometry" is all wrong. You are wrong. 400 gr handloads land on each other at 50 yards (however, the gun definitely does not like 307 gr Hammer bullets).

Bottom line: if the gun shoots well, looks good, cycles perfectly, and acquires targets instantly what more does it take to be a "quality" dangerous game rifle? Oh, oh, I know ... a British name on the barrel. Pfft. In the end, that's just a bit of engraving. True, not everyone can build a rifle. However, I think a lot more guys out there can do it but just think they can't. I'm happy to hold myself up as an inspiration. Or I could just inspire them with my skills at shopping extravagantly? :D

Last edited:
Cz550 or Zastava M70 both are inexpensive and reliable .....

There are fewer and fewer options with each passing year, especially now that the CZ550s and Sako 85s are discontinued.

In terms of affordable options, the Model 70 is the only 375HH that comes to mind.

If you’re open to 375 Ruger than the Ruger M77 rifles are another option in the same price point.

Im not aware of any other new production options below $5,000.

Beyond that, you’re jumping up significantly to the likes of Heym Express, ParkWest Arms SD-76, Rigby Big Game, Mauser etc.

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but did Dennis Olsen build the entire rifle? Obviously you said it started from a Czech Mauser.
Lija only makes unfinished barrels. They are 28" long and not threaded or chambered. Dennis (also in Plains, MT) cut, crowned, threaded, reamed, and mounted the barrel. He also opened the stock channel for the thicker barrel (I took the gun across the border to him as a complete barreled 30-06 to sidestep import/export rifle parts hassles). I did not expect him to open the channel and drop the action in but he did it anyway. Saved me the trouble. Now that I think about it, he also installed the iron sights. I had already installed same sights on my Springfield 03A3. Happened to have the tools I used in my vehicle and he offered to install the sights if I left the taps and drill. His tap was worn out. He showed me a nifty trick for modifying the tap. Also gave me some important advice on tuning the follower. I did the rest of modifications except opening the bolt face. A local machinist here did that for me (using Duane Weibe's booklet). When I first called Dennis about mounting the barrel, he said he definitely would NOT tune the rails and ramp. But when I picked up the rifle, he asked if I wanted him to finish that part. Unfortunately, I had to get back home and couldn't leave the rifle with him.

There is a truly lovely Browning Safari grade 375 on guns International right now for an asking price of less than $2500. You won't find anything of that quality for less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmaStodd

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?