What are my options for a current production crf 375 h&h rifle?

brym427

Reaction score
Im looking for the current best options for a crf 375 h&h rifle. I dont really have a budget but would rather save money for more ammo if there is a option that is $3k vs $10k. Im going to use it for deer hunting and general target shooting for the next several years until i feel very comfortable using it, my goal then would be to eventually take a cape buffalo with it

What im currently eyeing up is the winchester 70 safari express as i like the 24" barrel over the 25" of the alaskan.

Is there any other options i should be looking at? I guess i wouldn't be opposed to a used or discontinued model if i was able to find one in good condition

Last edited:
I have a Safari Express and an Alaskan.

The Alaskan is a lighter, handier rifle despite an extra inch of barrel.

The barrel contour is lighter the stock is a little less beefy.

It just feels much more lively in my hands.

I have a Safari Express and an Alaskan.

The Alaskan is a lighter, handier rifle despite an extra inch of barrel.

The barrel contour is lighter the stock is a little less beefy.

It just feels much more lively in my hands.
Then maybe it would be a good idea for me to consider the alaskan instead

Winchester Model 70 or Kimber Caprivi. I think it’s difficult to beat the Model 70 though. I like the safari over the Alaskan because of the barrel length and barrel band.

You could also consider a Ruger in 375 Ruger, but I think ammo choices for that cartridge are going to become increasingly limited in future years. The 375 H&H is here to stay.

Where is the best place to find one?
Gunbroker. Lots of no longer produced CZs for sale there as well. However, model 70s will have a quality trigger, feed, and eject properly out of the box. I’d spend a few extra dollars to not have to worry about a rifle with flaws that need fixed.

Browning Safari, BRNO, CZ, Interarms, or other Mauser type variants - used, no longer produced can typically be found for $1k - $3k

Win M70 - current production sub $2k (run in small numbers), Pre64 $2k - $10k depending upon configuration condition and year, Post64 $1k - $3k depending on year and CRF vs PF

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Ruger No. 1 - $1200 - $2k

Sako & Kimbers - $1k - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

You can also find much more expensive options out there. The Whitworth or Interarms Mauser options are probably your cheapest choices and regularly pop-up on gunbroker and other online platforms.

Browning Safari, BRNO, CZ, Interarms, or other Mauser type variants - used, no longer produced can typically be found for $1k - $3k

Win M70 - current production sub $2k (run in small numbers), Pre64 $2k - $10k depending upon configuration condition and year, Post64 $1k - $3k depending on year and CRF vs PF

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

You can also find much more expensive options out there. The Whitworth or Interarms Mauser options are probably your cheapest choices and regularly pop-up on gunbroker and other online platforms.
Would a blaser r8 be any more/less reliable than a current production m70?

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

You might see the newer version of Whitworth/Interarms - Zastava. I have one in 9.3x62. Like CZ, they need a little TLC from a decent smith to make them into real shooters, but they're solid rifles. I bought mine for $1000 a number of years ago, and have another $1000 or so in upgrades: new stock, Timney trigger, steel bed, replaced the front swivel stud with a barrel band, polished the rails, and took off a high spot on the claw extractor.

I'm pretty sure the missus is eventually going to want a cape buffalo - I'll be getting her a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H since she's a lefty. A can and a scope will get us to 9.5 lbs, give or take a little. Along with downloaded ammo around 2350 or 2400 fps, I'm sure it'll be a pleasure for her to shoot.

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

The Browning safari is a good FN gun--my first PH in Zimbabwe swore by his, and he was a person who could actually afford a range of choices.

Both have a lot of fans. I’d say No. They are both good rifles but very different. I own both, but haven’t fully warmed up to Blaser the way some have. If you are interested in buying a quality rifle at a reasonable cost model 70 is way to go. If you are interested in replacing rifles with multiple Blaser barrels it’s a good option but it’s considerably more cost. The Blaser does have a far superior trigger though.

Why don't you have a rifle built? I built this 404 Jeffery on a Czech 98 Mauser. I have a bit more than $2500 in it. Barrel by Lija, affixed by Dennis Olsen, iron sights are used Winchester Safari Express from ebay, Timney trigger, Parkwest 3-position Model 70 style safety, Swift-Blackburn bottom metal, Warne QD rings, new 1-4 Bushnell scope, and a used commercial Mauser stock that I refinished and restored. I did everything but put on the barrel and open the bolt face. I would guess a good gunsmith could do my labor for maybe an additional $1500.
20240905_124011.jpg

That’s subjective. I personally think the reason many like the R8 is because of its ability to take down a little smaller than a normal rifle making travel a bit easier and less obvious, and it’s ability to change barrels/calibers. For Hunter in certain countries who are limited to a specific number of firearms this can skirt that since it’s 1 serial number and multiple barrels, whereas here in the US we just buy a new gun when we want a new caliber.

At the end of the day, you can get a current production M70 in 375 + one in whatever other caliber you want with 100rds of ammo for each, for less than you’ll spend on an R8 in just 375.

If money is your concern find a M70 new production, or post64 CRF, or a used Interarms/Whitworth gun for under $2k. If you don’t care about CRF you can probably find a Rem700 even cheaper

Only two come to mind-
Winchester Model 70 Safari Express (more economical)
Mauser Model 98 Magnum (more high end)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CooperKump

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?