What are my options for a current production crf 375 h&h rifle?

brym427

Reaction score
Im looking for the current best options for a crf 375 h&h rifle. I dont really have a budget but would rather save money for more ammo if there is a option that is $3k vs $10k. Im going to use it for deer hunting and general target shooting for the next several years until i feel very comfortable using it, my goal then would be to eventually take a cape buffalo with it

What im currently eyeing up is the winchester 70 safari express as i like the 24" barrel over the 25" of the alaskan.

Is there any other options i should be looking at? I guess i wouldn't be opposed to a used or discontinued model if i was able to find one in good condition

Last edited:
I have a Safari Express and an Alaskan.

The Alaskan is a lighter, handier rifle despite an extra inch of barrel.

The barrel contour is lighter the stock is a little less beefy.

It just feels much more lively in my hands.

I have a Safari Express and an Alaskan.

The Alaskan is a lighter, handier rifle despite an extra inch of barrel.

The barrel contour is lighter the stock is a little less beefy.

It just feels much more lively in my hands.
Then maybe it would be a good idea for me to consider the alaskan instead

Winchester Model 70 or Kimber Caprivi. I think it’s difficult to beat the Model 70 though. I like the safari over the Alaskan because of the barrel length and barrel band.

You could also consider a Ruger in 375 Ruger, but I think ammo choices for that cartridge are going to become increasingly limited in future years. The 375 H&H is here to stay.

Where is the best place to find one?
Gunbroker. Lots of no longer produced CZs for sale there as well. However, model 70s will have a quality trigger, feed, and eject properly out of the box. I’d spend a few extra dollars to not have to worry about a rifle with flaws that need fixed.

Browning Safari, BRNO, CZ, Interarms, or other Mauser type variants - used, no longer produced can typically be found for $1k - $3k

Win M70 - current production sub $2k (run in small numbers), Pre64 $2k - $10k depending upon configuration condition and year, Post64 $1k - $3k depending on year and CRF vs PF

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Ruger No. 1 - $1200 - $2k

Sako & Kimbers - $1k - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

You can also find much more expensive options out there. The Whitworth or Interarms Mauser options are probably your cheapest choices and regularly pop-up on gunbroker and other online platforms.

Browning Safari, BRNO, CZ, Interarms, or other Mauser type variants - used, no longer produced can typically be found for $1k - $3k

Win M70 - current production sub $2k (run in small numbers), Pre64 $2k - $10k depending upon configuration condition and year, Post64 $1k - $3k depending on year and CRF vs PF

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

You can also find much more expensive options out there. The Whitworth or Interarms Mauser options are probably your cheapest choices and regularly pop-up on gunbroker and other online platforms.
Would a blaser r8 be any more/less reliable than a current production m70?

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

You might see the newer version of Whitworth/Interarms - Zastava. I have one in 9.3x62. Like CZ, they need a little TLC from a decent smith to make them into real shooters, but they're solid rifles. I bought mine for $1000 a number of years ago, and have another $1000 or so in upgrades: new stock, Timney trigger, steel bed, replaced the front swivel stud with a barrel band, polished the rails, and took off a high spot on the claw extractor.

I'm pretty sure the missus is eventually going to want a cape buffalo - I'll be getting her a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H since she's a lefty. A can and a scope will get us to 9.5 lbs, give or take a little. Along with downloaded ammo around 2350 or 2400 fps, I'm sure it'll be a pleasure for her to shoot.

Ruger M77 - $1500 - $3k

Blaser R8 - $5k+

The Browning safari is a good FN gun--my first PH in Zimbabwe swore by his, and he was a person who could actually afford a range of choices.

Both have a lot of fans. I’d say No. They are both good rifles but very different. I own both, but haven’t fully warmed up to Blaser the way some have. If you are interested in buying a quality rifle at a reasonable cost model 70 is way to go. If you are interested in replacing rifles with multiple Blaser barrels it’s a good option but it’s considerably more cost. The Blaser does have a far superior trigger though.

Why don't you have a rifle built? I built this 404 Jeffery on a Czech 98 Mauser. I have a bit more than $2500 in it. Barrel by Lija, affixed by Dennis Olsen, iron sights are used Winchester Safari Express from ebay, Timney trigger, Parkwest 3-position Model 70 style safety, Swift-Blackburn bottom metal, Warne QD rings, new 1-4 Bushnell scope, and a used commercial Mauser stock that I refinished and restored. I did everything but put on the barrel and open the bolt face. I would guess a good gunsmith could do my labor for maybe an additional $1500.
20240905_124011.jpg

That’s subjective. I personally think the reason many like the R8 is because of its ability to take down a little smaller than a normal rifle making travel a bit easier and less obvious, and it’s ability to change barrels/calibers. For Hunter in certain countries who are limited to a specific number of firearms this can skirt that since it’s 1 serial number and multiple barrels, whereas here in the US we just buy a new gun when we want a new caliber.

At the end of the day, you can get a current production M70 in 375 + one in whatever other caliber you want with 100rds of ammo for each, for less than you’ll spend on an R8 in just 375.

If money is your concern find a M70 new production, or post64 CRF, or a used Interarms/Whitworth gun for under $2k. If you don’t care about CRF you can probably find a Rem700 even cheaper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrancisRud

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?