What’s the thoughts on the .223 on all plains game with a match bullet trend?

I’ve never heard that statement before but that’s a great statement
I used to say it a lot to offenders and when training new officers in the prison system.

No one should be so accepting that they throw common sense out. Maybe we could teach that to some of these "woke" radicals?

As a data driven argument that's all good and well. Except that the data is derived at the expense of animals we want to dispatch humanely and at the expense of ever increasing animosity towards the sport we participate in.

Lets say, for the case of argument, that this idea now takes off. The .223 is the most common calibre in the USA. Now every yahoo with an AR simply goes out and buys match bullets because he has heard they are the way to go for all plains game. This is going to result in a lot of wounded animals. Why, I hear you ask? Simply because not all of those Shooters (not Hunters) have the skill or patience to wait for the perfect shot at the perfect distance. Why would they? They have the latest data showing that .223 can be used on all plains game.

They are not going to ALL be using the best bullet because that is the nature of the human. They are not going to wait for the perfect shot for the same reason. This results in very little margin for error and marginal shots being taken. The .223 shooter has to have the stars align for success (shot placement, distance, etc).

Scenario: Kudu at 200m slightly quartering to/away. Or even broadside.
You have a .223 with "the wonder bullet" pushing 77gn or 30.06 A-frames pushing 180gn...

All things being equal (perfect shot placement to take out heart /lung), the 30.06 drops the animal 99/100... the .223 I would GUESS 80-90/100. Even on the high side that is unacceptable failure rate just to prove a point. Being generous the .223 is marginal at best.

Pushing this ".223 is good for all plains game" is not only cruel to the animals we hunt but is also dangerous to our sport if it becomes mainstream. Advocating for the "benefits" of it is ludicrous!

Last edited:
See the signature under my post. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Over the past 15 ish years I’ve had my kids and grands, when very young/small, use a 223 for game up to the size of mule deer. All medium to smaller specimens, 225 pounds/100 kg ish sized. 62 gr. Fusion bonded bullets mostly, one with a 77 gr. TMK.

We use it in bolt action rifles and keep ranges modest. So far results are stellar, all one shot kills. The 77 gr TMK was almost too damaging on the deer relative to meat loss. It did not exit on a small deer.

This is a rifle they can shoot often at the range and with the near zero recoil, basically zero when suppressed, so they shoot it very well. Once they grow some we move them up to a .243, .257 and then a .277 caliber rifle.

Would I use it for elk/moose, no. But for smaller game, with proper bullet selection, it is lethal and a viable choice for smaller shooters.

I have read thru all 8 pages of this post and have come to some conclusions based on the evidence presented, I think these positions I am about to take are a result of careful study. So let’s look at some facts.

Fact 1- A 223 is a little bullet.
Fact 2- Some animals are big.
Fact 3 - Some men are small and can’t tolerate recoil.
Fact 4 - Some men don’t have lots of money to spend on big bullets.
Fact 5 - Some men who hype 223s don’t drink whiskey ( I don’t no why I added this)
Fact 6 - A creature of the forest can grow to a majestic size, how cheap for it to lose its life to an undignified caliber.
Fact 7 - Some men own cats.
Fact 8 - Some guns are black and have plastic stocks.
Fact 9 - Some men dress in women’s clothing.

These are 9 obvious facts that I don’t think will be disputed, I am sure other members will add to this list. So if a man were to hunt an eland with a 223 does that mean he is light in the loafers, not necessarily. If he also owns a cat and wears womens clothes, then yes I would say from a caliber standpoint that he
has blurred the line between hunting and cross dressing.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this discussion, I hope I was able to add some clarity to this area of dispute.

See the signature under my post. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Hey there matt85!. Wasn't it you that that said the .223 was roughly equivalent to an 8 gauge double rifle? No? maybe I misread it. ;-).

I disagree, but that’s ok. Statements like, “All of the XYZ is designed to be inflammatory.” are themselves inflammatory. Why is it so hard to have an objective, data-based conversation about smaller calibers, just like we do all day with the larger calibers?

Margins. Yes. Control and accuracy are another end of the margins spectrum. There are plenty of real world reports about people shooting various Weatherby calibers that illustrate this. The ones that can control and be accurate with such calibers are sitting pretty!

There are Weatherbys, (eh) and then there are Weatherbys (yeah!).

There is a vast difference between the two!

Weatherby (yeah!) means the rifle is chambered for Weatherby designed ammo only. ie. 300 Weatherby, 460 Weatherby, etc, etc.

Then there's

Weatherby (eh) means it is a Weatherby rifle but chambered to fit the common calibers 300WM, 458WM, etc, etc.

The difference between the two are and have been the topic/complaint for generations past, present, and future.

IMO you used a bad example using Weatherby as a comparison.

You would be better off comparing Remington to Savage or Mossberg.

Why is it so hard to have an objective, data-based conversation about smaller calibers, just like we do all day with the larger calibers?

I would be for an objective conversation for small bore calibers in the same manner as we have for big bore calibers.

Now, Let's discuss finding a (1) PH, a (1) tracker, who will risk their lives and yours to shoot any of the Dangerous 7 with your smaller bore, because you are of the opinion your small bore is just as effective as a big bore.

Or perhaps be a bit more fair we discuss your small caliber using heavy for caliber bullets versus a bigger caliber using a proper weight bullet both bullets traveling at 2700+, 2800+, 2900+/- fps velocity once it hits the 4th rib bone solid center mass, on a quartering away shot, on an eland at 300 yards.

Since this is a hypothetical discussion we can discuss kinetic energy as in foot pounds of knock down power.

Even better we will omit custom reloads and just compare factory available ammo.

Or

We can have a more, better, informative discussion on small caliber optimums for small to medium game. And what small caliber, bullet weight, bullet velocity, etc works best for hunting certain species.

Pretty much the same as we discuss bigger bores on large game.

Oh yeah,.....We are discussing legal firearms for Africa and Canada and pretty worldwide,....minus USA.....your AR is history. Your only firearm action choices are: double, bolt action, or lever action (where legal), rifle.

I have read thru all 8 pages of this post and have come to some conclusions based on the evidence presented, I think these positions I am about to take are a result of careful study. So let’s look at some facts.

Fact 1- A 223 is a little bullet.
Fact 2- Some animals are big.
Fact 3 - Some men are small and can’t tolerate recoil.
Fact 4 - Some men don’t have lots of money to spend on big bullets.
Fact 5 - Some men who hype 223s don’t drink whiskey ( I don’t no why I added this)
Fact 6 - A creature of the forest can grow to a majestic size, how cheap for it to lose its life to an undignified caliber.
Fact 7 - Some men own cats.
Fact 8 - Some guns are black and have plastic stocks.
Fact 9 - Some men dress in women’s clothing.

These are 9 obvious facts that I don’t think will be disputed, I am sure other members will add to this list. So if a man were to hunt an eland with a 223 does that mean he is light in the loafers, not necessarily. If he also owns a cat and wears womens clothes, then yes I would say from a caliber standpoint that he
has blurred the line between hunting and cross dressing.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this discussion, I hope I was able to add some clarity to this area of dispute.

Have at it man!

IMO, a .223 will take any animal that walks the earth, under the right conditions.

However, I don't often find myself in optimal conditions. In NA, a .30/06 will be most likely to be in my hands.

I'm still "old school" when it comes to projectiles, although I have and do use the latest and greatest when I choose to hunt with smaller cartridges.

I usually go for "overkill" because I want to be ready with the buck of a lifetime steps out at 500 yards or a 400 pound black bear shows herself.

I also want to be ready, to use whatever the local hardware store might have in stock, if all of my luggage doesn't make it (which has happened to me before).

No doubt, we can all, probably, can shoot a lighter recoiling rifle more accurately than we can one with more recoil, all things being equal.

Just based on personal experience, I'm not a fan of a .243 Winchester - I've had to make 2 perfect shots on a whitetail buck (15 minutes apart) to get a kill.

My hunting partner made a good shot on a pronghorn with a .243 Winchester. It got up, and was, literally, trotting off into the sunset, when I handed him my .270 Winchester to anchor it for good.

I am a scientist.

I know "anecdotal" evidence, is not evidence.

Weatherby (yeah!) means the rifle is chambered for Weatherby designed ammo only. ie. 300 Weatherby, 460 Weatherby, etc, etc.

Then there's

Weatherby (eh) means it is a Weatherby rifle but chambered to fit the common calibers 300WM, 458WM, etc, etc.

The difference between the two are and have been the topic/complaint for generations past, present, and future.

I would be for an objective conversation for small bore calibers in the same manner as we have for big bore calibers.

Now, Let's discuss finding a (1) PH, a (1) tracker, who will risk their lives and yours to shoot any of the Dangerous 7 with your smaller bore, because you are of the opinion your small bore is just as effective as a big bore.

Or perhaps be a bit more fair we discuss your small caliber using heavy for caliber bullets versus a bigger caliber using a proper weight bullet both bullets traveling at 2700+, 2800+, 2900+/- fps velocity once it hits the 4th rib bone solid center mass, on a quartering away shot, on an eland at 300 yards.

Since this is a hypothetical discussion we can discuss kinetic energy as in foot pounds of knock down power.

Even better we will omit custom reloads and just compare factory available ammo.

Or

We can have a more, better, informative discussion on small caliber optimums for small to medium game. And what small caliber, bullet weight, bullet velocity, etc works best for hunting certain species.

Oh yeah,.....We are discussing legal firearms for Africa and Canada and pretty worldwide,....minus USA.....your AR is history. Your only firearm action choices are: double, bolt action, or lever action (where legal), rifle.

Do not count Weatherby cartridges within the the realm of "normal" cartridges.

Roy must have met the devil at the crossroads...

Then there's

Or

I'm not following your logic.

If we do not try different things we would still be stuck with sharp sticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForrestOso

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!