What’s the best watch to wear on safari?

One update. The last couple of years I have been wearing a Sinn 3006 Hunting Watch. It accompanied me with @spike.t and @PeteG at Takeri. It is a rather extraordinary mechanical design with more complications than needed, but I love the look. Like most quality German kit, it also seems to function exactly as advertised. Mine carries the OD synthetic rather than leather band. It really is a special sort of thing. Besides. I will never do watches and digits and batteries.

View attachment 550423

I seriously considered this as a hunting watch, but (as you stated) the added complications are what drove me away. Beautiful timepiece, but the face is a bit busy for me.

I have to have welding slag removed from my watches every time they are serviced. I don’t wear gloves when I weld unless the material is too hot to work with without them. I like welding when it is cool. :). Both watches stay on while field dressing etc. would likely lose it if I took it off. This being said, I have never taken a watch to Africa!
That's fine. I never pay ANY attention to the time when I'm there hunting. My PH worries about schedules. "Not my chob, man."

My grandfather's gold pocket watch is missing a tooth on the largest gear and it frequently locks up...wonder if that could be fixed, sigh....

There’s a decent watch guy in the Stonebriar Mall in Frisco that I’ve had service my tag, my wife’s tag, and my Rolex at different times… turn around time is usually just a few days, pricing is very fair, etc… I bet he could fix your granddads watch…

For reference….Tudor pelagos fxd…..titanium and fixed lugs in use by the ‘nationals marine’
(if interested thats with my Alan Davis folder, timascus and rosewood scales if anyone is into knives too x)

View attachment 501225
I’m looking to add a FXD to the collection. I enjoy the Black Bay Heritage which has been to South Africa.

On my recent trip I wore a Garmin Fenix 7. I’m not a huge tech guy, but I really enjoyed having this watch on my hunt. I used the hunt feature to keep up with our various stalks. I was also able to save features that helped me get my bearings faster.

That watchband will make you sick. The magnet will suck the iron out of your blood. I thought everyone knew that. :D
And it is not mechanical and it tells you what to do all the time. To me it sounds like a wife not a watch.

Really liking all the Omega love in this thread recently.

We own a total of 7!
Same here. Love their stuff. Tier One quality and precision without the flash or crazy costs.

One update. The last couple of years I have been wearing a Sinn 3006 Hunting Watch. It accompanied me with @spike.t and @PeteG at Takeri. It is a rather extraordinary mechanical design with more complications than needed, but I love the look. Like most quality German kit, it also seems to function exactly as advertised. Mine carries the OD synthetic rather than leather band. It really is a special sort of thing. Besides. I will never do watches and digits and batteries.

View attachment 550423

Now that's a great looking watch. Sinn is awesome

Currently I don't own a watch but I am a fan of craftsmanship. What is a good mechanical watch that doesn't break the bank if that is a thing? (think poor folk budget)

What I find interesting and it's not just here, when I was in the Marine Corps I went through three G-Shocks in less than six weeks. They all just kept breaking. I ended up with a cheap digital timex that lasted through a couple deployments and was passed down to a younger guy when I left. I know I'm an exception to the rule when it comes to the G-Shock though.
tward1604: I don't think you can beat the Seiko divers for the money and legitimate horological credibility. In-house mechanical movements, serious waterproof ratings, classic designs and great service. It's the entry-level pro kit. I buy mine through gnomon out of Singapore. Free DHL shipping, wonderful service and best of all, they do the real JDM Japanese production versions (vs what we get in the US). Always enjoyable shopping with these folks. Though I haven't owned any of them personally, the newer Seiko Sports 5 line is supposed to be great also for entry level watches.......and still totally legit, real JDM Seiko movements etc

G Shocks: I've never broken one, but mine seem to eat batteries fast and it's a pain to replace them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 8.29.57 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 8.29.57 AM Large.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 8.29.59 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 8.29.59 AM Large.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 8.30.00 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 8.30.00 AM Large.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 46
tward1604: I don't think you can beat the Seiko divers for the money and legitimate horological credibility. In-house mechanical movements, serious waterproof ratings, classic designs and great service. It's the entry-level pro kit. I buy mine through gnomon out of Singapore. Free DHL shipping, wonderful service and best of all, they do the real JDM Japanese production versions (vs what we get in the US). Always enjoyable shopping with these folks. Though I haven't owned any of them personally, the newer Seiko Sports 5 line is supposed to be great also for entry level watches.......and still totally legit, real JDM Seiko movements etc

G Shocks: I've never broken one, but mine seem to eat batteries fast and it's a pain to replace them.

Just curious if others would echo this sentiment?

I’m thinking of purchasing a watch. Probably $500-1500 budget. What are the best options in that price range?

I took my watch (a cheap Casio) off when I retired in 2007. It's been setting on my dresser since then, and because of this thread, I just checked it's time...Its 4 minutes fast!

I’m thinking of purchasing a watch. Probably $500-1500 budget. What are the best options in that price range?
Stowa Classic 40mm Flieger Aviator is a fully mechanical (automatic or manual winding) Swiss movement, sapphire crystal and has the option of a date window at the 6 o'clock position. Another option is to have the logo that's located below the 12 o'clock position removed if you like.

Simple design type A (vs type B) aviator design with all the bells and whistles you want without unnecessary complications. IMO - solid watch for the money that you will be handing down to your children or grandchildren. Strap is easily changed out if you want something more dressy for not too much money. The next step up in automatic movements will at least triple the price of a new one of these.
1692552907137.png

Found a used one on eBay. Automatic, has a date window and no logo for $720. New they go for around $1000 and up depending on options. Reasonable deal on this one. I was very close to getting one of these watches, but went a different route.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1662874719...+x9v22vgtFX2U2Tsjsk+iLkA==|tkp:Bk9SR8jZpMDCYg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.59.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.59.58 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
If you’re looking for a do everything watch at that price point I would highly recommend sinn, specifically the sinn 104 ST, that has lots of useable functionality. If you want a simple 3 hander then the sinn 556 is nice (I like the 556RS)

I have bought from gnomon too with great experience….I like the German offerings. Seiko has a cult following…personally I Am not a fan at all! To each his own….

gshock isn’t as tough as they say I’ve killed 5 never lasting more than 1yr. I do have a ga2100 that I like and since I quit wearing it at work it has lasted…nothing stands up to the “shock” induced by my line of work.

@Iclimb - Am I reading correctly? You've broken 5 Casio G-Shock beyond repair from "shock" but a Sinn 104 St has held up with no problems? Really? What kind of "shock" is your watch subject to at work?

BTW - Really like the Sinn 836 with the black leather band and date window. Classic design without being busy. Having the date window at the 6 o'clock position adds to the clean look.

I really enjoy a leather band on a dress watch but can't stand the traditional buckle closure. My fat fingers never seem to get it worked out smoothly. I had to upgrade to a deployment clasp...
1695064645786.png

I don't wear watches while on a Safari but if I did I would wear this Purdey Engraved Panerai! Its for sale if you are interested. PM me for details or check out my previous posts.

IMG_4654.jpg
IMG_4656.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

@Iclimb - Am I reading correctly? You've broken 5 Casio G-Shock beyond repair from "shock" but a Sinn 104 St has held up with no problems? Really? What kind of "shock" is your watch subject to at work?

BTW - Really like the Sinn 836 with the black leather band and date window. Classic design without being busy. Having the date window at the 6 o'clock position adds to the clean look.

I really enjoy a leather band on a dress watch but can't stand the traditional buckle closure. My fat fingers never seem to get it worked out smoothly. I had to upgrade to a deployment clasp...
View attachment 558269
Yes to killing the g shocks, no I don’t wear the sinn at work. I to love my sinn watch. The killing of watches is due to the shock my wrist is subjected to. Falling timber and having to use wedges to drive tree’s over sometimes. A 5lb axe smacking a 12” wedge in 40” fir hundreds of times per day. Lots of shock. gshock is junk IMO

I find my Garmin Fenix 6 fantastic. I love the ability to mark waypoints ( dead aninal, last blood, Cruiser, camp etc and use that info to save time. Its black, doesn’t bling to much, but I can cover with a buff/ sweatband. Battery life is good and with a small 20 mA charger I get 30 days plus out of it given no electricity.

Its helped me find plenty smalll game in tall grass with its tracking function

Update. The one button on my Fenix 6 died, and Garmin has a replace rather than repair policy. So for a fraction of retail price they offered me a Fenix 7 Pro Sapphire Solar. Seems nice. I’ve had it for five days now and battery life is definitely better than the Fenix 6. Next hunting trip is mid October, then I’ll put the battery life to the test properly when I run the GPS every day. I’m quite curious how much it will actually charge using the solar function when hunting 6-8 hours a day.

I often hunt alone one a few farms here, and then I find the GPS function invaluable to be able to walk straight back to the Cruiser and drive to the animal and load it.

As far as looks goes its pretty much the same as it’s predecessor.

IMG_2500.JPG

Fenix 6

IMG_2578.JPG

Fenix 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloyMoorin

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!