What’s the best watch to wear on safari?

Ok, not sure how many watch nerds there are here….
what is the best watch for safari? Best watch for hunting in general?
maybe the most nostalgic watch for safari?

are you a “one and done” kinda guy?

recently i had a customer that dropped by and we were bs’ing about sheep hunting…I noticed a Rolex ‘pepsi’ gmt on his wrist. I’m guessing a mid 80’s model. It was well worn with much patina! I could tell this was his go to watch! It got me thinking…how many miles that thing has endured, been a part of, experience’s akin to.
I envy those that take a minimal approach! Buy something fantastic and then use the hell out of!

currently I’ve been rocking the new Tudor ranger on a bracelet! I kinda love this thing! Comfortable, light, simplistic…. It has character, it’s a great balance of luxury and ’tool’ watch, in many ways it embodies the “minimalist“ mindset mentioned above.
A Rolex explorer 39 or a gmt (maybe a 116710ln x) might be a better Option… I don’t know… but I’d like to know if anyone has something better or at least to call me crazy to think up such a question. Have you ever thought about it?
This new model Tudor ranger is certainly one I could nominate!
I wear a TIMEX for all hunting - cost around $35 for the “expedition” model, I have one with a plastic band for waterfowl hunting and fishing - and another with a leather/nylon band for the “dry land” hunts. I buy a new TIMEX every 3-5 years (battery wears out). Why I like them: Very light weight/comfortable, ability to set multiple alarms to “wake up” or remind me to do something, dial lights up in the dark to see numbers. Also, when in a different Country or City I never worry that someone would “target me” for my TIMEX. Now, at home my “nice watch”, wear to dinner, weddings, etc.. is an Omega, I like it but it’s heavy as a boat anchor compared to a TIMEX.

If a wife is telling you what to do all the time, either she is the wrong wife, or you failed in her training. ;)
Tanks —- you sound “Single”

Now, at home my “nice watch”, wear to dinner, weddings, etc.. is an Omega, I like it but it’s heavy as a boat anchor compared to a TIMEX.
Like to see a picture of the Omega when you have a chance.

Like to see a picture of the Omega when you have a chance.
BeeMaa, if I can ever figure out “how to post a photo” - happy to. My Omega is 23 years old. I preferred it over the Rolex because it was water proof, not as “flashy” and didn’t require being wound (although battery only last 5 yrs and Jewler required to replace it). I wore it everyday to work but never hunting - love the TIMEX hunting. Rolex is a true “fine time piece” that reflects high level of craftsmanship to make a self-winding-mechanical watch.

Does anyone have any experience with IWC pilot watches and their durability?
i have 3 iwc in total but have two pilots watches. the mark xvi, and the classic pilots chronograph. i love them both. my other iwc is a gst in stainless. iwcs are built to take a beating but ive never tested either in the bush but wouldnt hesitate given their reliable reputation.

BeeMaa, if I can ever figure out “how to post a photo” - happy to. My Omega is 23 years old. I preferred it over the Rolex because it was water proof, not as “flashy” and didn’t require being wound (although battery only last 5 yrs and Jewler required to replace it). I wore it everyday to work but never hunting - love the TIMEX hunting. Rolex is a true “fine time piece” that reflects high level of craftsmanship to make a self-winding-mechanical watch.
An Omega without a mechanical or wind movement?!? Rather like decaf coffee - what's the point? ;)

I saw this watch today in a shop and nearly walked out with it...
View attachment 505051
43mm stainless case and contrasting leather deployment clasp
Illuminated numbers and hands with sapphire anti-reflective glass
Automatic movement with clear case back
The onion crown stands alone on the edge
So simple and yet so complex...

I wish it didn't look so good on my wrist.
Never should have went into that store.
iwc pilots are stunningly beautiful, and hold their value.

I’d consider Omega to be apples to apples with Rolex. Both are luxury timepieces of exceptional quality but brand recognition and popularity are not the same. Akin to comparing BMW and Mercedes.

My wife and I have several Omega watches, I believe seven in total and all of them are automatic/mechanical. The quartz movement used by most watch companies is extremely accurate and durable. My parents both have quartz movement watches and use them for diving specifically because of their accuracy. Quartz movement also tend to be lighter, thinner and less expensive to manufacture. But just because it’s a quartz movement doesn’t mean it’s a low quality piece.

Tanks —- you sound “Single”
I am happy and not "Single".

1695566352022.png

iwc pilots are stunningly beautiful, and hold their value.
I tried on several occasions to talk myself into an IWC timepiece but have yet to be successful. Probably because I grew up admiring the Speedmaster on my father’s wrist…made me an Omega fan.

He gave me the Speedy several years ago and I pull it out for special occasions, specifically ones that involve him.
1695567194851.jpeg

An Omega without a mechanical or wind movement?!? Rather like decaf coffee - what's the point? ;)
Red Leg - I already tipped you off to my “watch knowledge” when I stated “I wear a TIMEX” - so if you’re expecting to learn something about watches from my posts - gonna be disappointed. While my TIMEX might keep better time that any Rolex - it’s certainly Not a better watch ie: can’t buy a Rolex @ Walmart ! Back when I use to actually earn a living - every newly promoted executive would soon be flashing a Rolex, the more established execs or our CEO always had a less common (but more expensive) brand and some only wore “vintage” watches - something not easily found and unique. I guess some people relate to watches like hunters or shooters value their firearms and put their money & loyalty into them accordingly. I admire them all but just not very well informed about any particular brand ——-except Maybe TIMEX.

Hasn't been to Africa (yet), but the Explorer on a NATO might just be the ticket. No one notices it on the NATO and the GMT function is great for travel
View attachment 560554
I found that NATO straps place a lot of tension on the spring bars. It would be a good idea to replace them before your trip or take a couple spares in a small zip-lock bag. Small insurance investment considering what's attached to it.

Beautiful watch.

Thank you. Yes, I agree. I get extras from my Rolex AD. Their bars have proven to be excellent. I carry a spare set in my toiletry kit, but never a failure as I wear my watches fairly loose on the wrist.

Been meaning to mention the watches of espionage blog to you guys as well. Fairly new adventure/travel watch site done by a retired CIA guy and focused on our types of watches. Very solid writing. New post every Tuesday. Check it out

Been meaning to mention the watches of espionage blog to you guys as well. Fairly new adventure/travel watch site done by a retired CIA guy and focused on our types of watches. Very solid writing. New post every Tuesday. Check it out
Way ahead of ya

Hasn't been to Africa (yet), but the Explorer on a NATO might just be the ticket. No one notices it on the NATO and the GMT function is great for great i
Hasn't been to Africa (yet), but the Explorer on a NATO might just be the ticket. No one notices it on the NATO and the GMT function is great for travel
View attachment 560554
i just picked up an older version of the same watch. (the 16750 with a black dial.) it might be the only other watch in my collection i would consider wearing hunting to replace my normal hunting watch, a 15 year old timex expedition i paid less than $20 for. the gmt function on the explorer is fantastic.

I wear a TIMEX for all hunting - cost around $35 for the “expedition” model, I have one with a plastic band for waterfowl hunting and fishing - and another with a leather/nylon band for the “dry land” hunts. I buy a new TIMEX every 3-5 years (battery wears out). Why I like them: Very light weight/comfortable, ability to set multiple alarms to “wake up” or remind me to do something, dial lights up in the dark to see numbers. Also, when in a different Country or City I never worry that someone would “target me” for my TIMEX. Now, at home my “nice watch”, wear to dinner, weddings, etc.. is an Omega, I like it but it’s heavy as a boat anchor compared to a TIMEX.
I was formerly a Timex Expedition fan but I found the Casio Forester to be more durable. Just a cheap. I'm a sensible guy too. Damn proud of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrylNade

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?