Want to buy Safari Binos

I'm looking to purchase a set. I have a nice set of 12x50's that I've had for a long time and they have been great on all my hunts out west and in Alaska where you need big glass for big country, but I would like to get a new pair for this trip. Something a little more suited for the task at hand. I know I can just pick up a set from Europtics or whatever but I figured I would run it by here and see if anyone happen to have a set they were wanting to sell. I'm open to different makes and models. Something reasonably light and compact 8x or 10x. Let me know what you have. I can do cash or if there is some particular brass or projectiles you need or even powder or primers if you are close enough for us to meet up we can do some horse trading. Let me know what you got.
I’ve had many but finally settled and completely happy with my Swaros. Don’t buy new given you can find deals on used and they are as good as new at 70-8o% of new pricing

I’ve had many but finally settled and completely happy with my Swaros. Don’t buy new given you can find deals on used and they are as good as new at 70-8o% of new pricing
I think that is probably the proper course of action. I have always wanted a set of Swaro binos. I think I will probably just get the rangefinding binos and be done with it

Used, demo, refurbished are all solid options for the high end optics.

My PH and I were on our first stalk together and looking at a mixed bag of PG. Initially we had stopped the bakkie for beautiful and old blue wildebeest. As we were sneaking up, we both scanned the game animals that included tsessebe, blue wildebeest, kudu and oryx (maybe Impala as well, but I don't recall exactly). He was looking through his Vortex Diamondback 10x42's and I through Leica Geovid 10x42R (Gen 1 RF Binos). We both were drawn to the two kudu in the shade of a tree. He commented that the one on the left looked really good, my comment back was that the one on the right was bigger.

A little perspective. I was on my first trip to Africa EVER! He is an experienced PH with several years under his belt and has hunted this property for the last 10 years. I have pretty much just spit in his face by telling him he was wrong...and I recognized that the moment the words fell out of my mouth.

He pulled his binos down and gave a look. A look of "who in the F@#$% do you think you are telling ME what the hell is going on here when you haven't even been in Africa for 24 hours"? I handed him my Leica binos and he begrudgingly took them. He looked at the Kudu. He glanced at me, then again looked at the Kudu. Without removing the binos from his eyes he says..."You are right, the one on the right is bigger". He double checked his binos against mine and couldn't believe the difference in the lower light conditions of the shaded tree.

The quality of the equipment we take on safari makes a difference. In this instance it ended with my Leica binos not making the trip home. My wife and I now each have our own sets of Leica Geovid HD-B 3000's. They go on every stalk. Buy once, cry once.

Keep an eye on Euro Optic demo binos for deals on Swaro, Leica and Zeiss. Highly recommend the RF feature.

I was very curious about this! Magnification range. So you recommend going all the way down as low as a 7x? I wondered what the "best" magnification range would be for the type of viewing that one would be doing over there. You think even 10x is quite a bit too much?

be aware of exit pupil. A larger exit pupil (lower magnification/larger objective) will have a large exit pupil which will make viewing easier and perceived brighter especially at low light. A 10x32 will have a 3.2mm exit pupil, whereas a 7x32 will have 4.5mm exit pupil. A 7x21 will only have a 3mm exit pupil. The larger exit pupil will benefit older eyes.

I have the best binos I can get my hands on, but the best "sleeper" safari perfect pair I ever got was Kahles 8x30 for about $500 in pristine order. They have a fabulous review on Allbinos and I can find no fault with them, especially for the size. No, they are not equal to my 8x56 Zeiss FL, but they are easy to carry, and I never find myself wishing for more. If I were not worried about waterproof, I might look for Nikon SE series. (sadly discontinued) for a sleeper--birders are crazy-gagga about them. Though the field is slightly narrow, the newest Swarovski Habicht 7x42 are astounding for the price, and light.

Last edited:
What would y'alls opinion on these be for a "safari bino", this looks like a pretty good deal to me and also a pretty good all around size and magnification level, although I think They have them in 8x too
This is the exact pair I bought and love them. I bought them used from a member in AH

This is a great deal! I paid $850 for mine. Check out the new price over $1000+

Someone needs to buy those tonight! Fair warning.

Really good optics are kind of like potato chips;
you can’t stop with one. I enjoy having a good set with RF and a good lightweight set. I didn’t get there quickly but it’s a likely outcome for many of us. I have also been more successful in my hunting by investing in my optics and I get more enjoyment out of every hunt with them. No question about that!

8x32 Vortex Diamondback for me, love them, wear them with a cheaper harness system I got off of Amazon. I do not use binos enough to buy a top quality pair, I am sure if I had a top quality pair I would notice the difference, but so far in life the vast majority of my hunts are hunting DG, Limpopo, etc, so 8x32 are light and handy.

I’ve used them all and the binos that I always come back to for africa are the older Leica 8x32. Small, built to last, fast focus, best glass. You can usually watch eBay and pick up a pair for 600’ish. That being said swaro/zeiss/Leica…..splitting hairs, they are all really good.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.59.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.59.03 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.59.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.59.05 AM.png
    889.9 KB · Views: 38
I own and have owned so-so optics, quite good optics and world class optics

I have sold some so-so optics.

I have scrapped some so-so optics, because they were so so-so that I could not bring myself to pass them on to someone else.

I have been quite happy with some quite good optics, but also aware of their shortcomings.

I have replaced some quite good optics with world class optics.

I have lost world class optics due to theft.

I have never sold world class optics and I doubt I ever will.

Just watch for demo deals at Cameraland and get the Leica's in whatever configuration you seek, if you ever get your hands on some that's what you will end up with anyways

Lots of good suggestions, especially the bit about using binos more than your rifle! Buy the best you can afford, they won't depreciate much, if any. The subtle difference in light gathering could make the hunt a success, or not. For me, Leica Geovids 10x42, or 8x42 rangefinders. Great glass, very durable, outstanding customer service. If your spouse goes, you'll need 2 pair!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLKKendra

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with