Want to buy Safari Binos

I went to laser range finding binos and will never hunt without them. I started with Vortex and bought Zeiss a few years ago. In SA I had the Zeiss and wife used the Vortex. She really got into the range finder a lot more than I anticipated and would quiz me on distances high fiving when my estimates were within a few yards.

The Vortex are great for the money but the Zeiss are worth every bit of the price.
Zeiss Victory 10x42

Also...
We both had our binos on the Rick Young Outdoors harness. Looking at the straps I thought they would not be comfortable but I was wrong. We can have them at the ready on our chest or pull an arm through and they are on your side. I got one on a recommendation here and bought a second set for the wife as soon as I tried them.
I have been wanting to go to a rangefinding set very badly. My old Leica range finder is circa 2005, it was my issued one that I used in Iraq, hell it uses a 9 volt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: the guide on my last elk hunting trip died laughing when I pulled that brick out of my pack. Ha ha

I was very curious about this! Magnification range. So you recommend going all the way down as low as a 7x? I wondered what the "best" magnification range would be for the type of viewing that one would be doing over there. You think even 10x is quite a bit too much?
I can only speak from my 3 trips to RSA (NW, Limpopo, and Free State), and 1 trip to Namibia. I took 8’s with me on all of the hunts. There was never a time I wished I had more magnification, but there were several instances I wished I had a little less, especially in super thick stuff when DG hunting.

Me personally, I’m deferring to the guide for trophy judgement. I’m using my Binos to look the animal over, decide if it’s something I want, and it’s body position to pick my spot. Whereas out west or deer hunting I’m making that call and the additional magnification is a little more important to me, especially if it’s a tough draw tag and I’m looking for a certain caliber animal or don’t wanna cover as much ground.

I e got a couple of pair that may work for you as I’ve been upgrading glass over the last couple of years. 10x42 Steiner’s and 8x42 vortex, I’d have to check the model but they’re decent ones.

I e got a couple of pair that may work for you as I’ve been upgrading glass over the last couple of years. 10x42 Steiner’s and 8x42 vortex, I’d have to check the model but they’re decent ones.
Let me know, particularly the stieners. I have always been interested in those but never owned a pair.

What would y'alls opinion on these be for a "safari bino", this looks like a pretty good deal to me and also a pretty good all around size and magnification level, although I think They have them in 8x too

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 7.01.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 7.01.17 AM.png
    805.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 7.01.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 7.01.18 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 7.01.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 7.01.21 AM.png
    638.5 KB · Views: 44
Let me know, particularly the stieners. I have always been interested in those but never owned a pair.

They’re good glass. I’ve also just upgraded my rangefinder so I have a Leupold RX 2800 that is one year old and has been on one hunt.

I’m out burning now but I’ll PM you the model on those Steiner’s when I get back to the house.

What would y'alls opinion on these be for a "safari bino", this looks like a pretty good deal to me and also a pretty good all around size and magnification level, although I think They have them in 8x too
For a dedicated Safari Bino, I almost ordered that exact demo pair a few days ago. If I was going DG hunting this coming trip they’d be at my house right now.

If you’re gonna upgrade and plan to use it for more than just Africa, you might think about a used pair of SLC 8x42’s or EL 8x42’s. Even 10x42’s if the deal is right. I think you’ll get more use out of them on your other hunts and you could sell off your other pairs to help fund it.

Swarovski 10x42 is a tried and true workhorse. I have a pair that I’ve used for close to 30years now. I also have a pair of ELs.

It is a buy once cry once situation. It’s a lot of money, but if you can get 50 years out of them, it seems like a small investment.

I have those Swaros in the 8x and highly recommend them or the 10x in same model. Here are the Swaro 8x compared to Sig Kilo 10k and Leica Geovid 10x42 HD. The Sig and the Leica are both 10x plus rangefinders and the Sigs have the ballistics software built in to provide shooting solutions. Range finding is a big plus on some hunts and always if hunting alone. Shooting solutions paired with your ballistics and phone app can be highly useful. However, I will only be taking the 8x Swaros to Africa in July for buffalo. I'm not shooting far and I don't need shooting solutions.

Another factor is how much weight do you want to carry in a harness or around your neck? Optics are an endless topic but for most safari situations, you are well served with something lightweight around 8x.

IMG_2814.JPG

I really like my Swarovski 7x42 Habict GA binoculars. They are the cheapest of the Swarovskis and are light and robust and have rubber armouring

This was easier than a PM.

Steiner 10x42 Predators. I don’t think they’ve ever been out of the house. I probably have the case for them around somewhere.

Vortex 8x42 Diamondback, lightly used.

Leupold RX 2800, in box, used on one hunt.

Nothing wrong with any of the above. I’ve just spent a stupid amount of money upgrading glass over the past couple of years.

Image1683324660.408807.jpg

Well now this is a tough decision. I think the 10x42 steiners or the Demo 10x30 swaros would both make excellent do all binos.

For a dedicated Safari Bino, I almost ordered that exact demo pair a few days ago. If I was going DG hunting this coming trip they’d be at my house right now.

If you’re gonna upgrade and plan to use it for more than just Africa, you might think about a used pair of SLC 8x42’s or EL 8x42’s. Even 10x42’s if the deal is right. I think you’ll get more use out of them on your other hunts and you could sell off your other pairs to help fund it.
I gotcha. You think it would be worth it to move up to the 42mm over the 30mm. I can see that, especially for an all around bino.
Well this is gonna require some Gin and Vermouth to work this one out :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: WAB
Oh, and I totally agree the comment on the SLC’s. I have 10x42 and 15x56 SLC’s. They are fantastic.

The bino I use for hunting Africa are Steiner Predator 8x30’s. I’m typically hunting fairly thick cover for DG. Light conditions are generally good so the 8x30 is a nice compromise for that application.

Love my Leica Geovid 10x42 HDb range finding binoculars. They are great all around binos and have excellent glass. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on two pairs, one 10x42 and one 8x30, I would opt for one excellent pair of 10x42’s.
Had the 10x42’s in Africa on my last trip and never once thought they were too big or too heavy.

Depending on the game, for PG I would use my 10x42 swaro SLC’s, which have served me well so far. Or for more serious DG I’d try to acquire Leica geovid 8 or 10x32 rangefinders.

Ran the Leica 3200.com on my trip, I never felt over glassed. Always had my range at the push of a button. They are clear, colors are awesome my only complaint would be they are a little heavy. I don't mind the extra weight.

My eyes are not what they used to be, might be the other reason I don't mind the 10X

I do have a set of vortex black diamond binos, they are cheap. Have held them next to some better glass the was 6X the cost. They gentleman who spent the money on the higher price glass could notice a fraction of a difference in between the two. It was mainly the color contrast. The lower power bino‘s look a lot better, JMHO

Ran the Leica 3200.com on my trip, I never felt over glassed. Always had my range at the push of a button. They are clear, colors are awesome my only complaint would be they are a little heavy. I don't mind the extra weight.

My eyes are not what they used to be, might be the other reason I don't mind the 10X

I do have a set of vortex black diamond binos, they are cheap. Have held them next to some better glass the was 6X the cost. They gentleman who spent the money on the higher price glass could notice a fraction of a difference in between the two. It was mainly the color contrast. The lower power bino‘s look a lot better, JMHO
I doubt I'll ever be able to really tell the difference in the glass honestly. I do really like the idea of the rangefinding binos and I am seriously considering just buying a set of swarovski rangefinding binos and being done with it. I'm 44 years old, I plan to hunt as much as possible and it is true you use your binos and your boots more thwn anything else. Combining two pieces of necessary gear into one is also a big plus. I can deal with the little bit of extra weight, that's no problem. I'm probably going to talk myself into a pair of Swaro EL rangefinding binos before the night is over.

I like my 8x32 CLs. I like a wider view and it’s closer to the magnification of the rifles. Just easier for me to transition quickly. I’m sure 10x would be just as good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheenaFord

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia