Want to buy Safari Binos

I have always heard everyone talk about the swaros, because they are obviously top notch gear, but it seems Lieca is getting a lot of votes from the guys I've talked to.

Leica is every bit as good as Swarovski. I have both in 10x42 but my Leica’s are the Geovid HDb range finders. Ergonomically I like the Leica’s better and while I have not weighed them, it seems like my Leica’s are a little bit lighter.
You cannot go wrong with either one of them.

I was split between the Swaro EL Range and the Leica Geovid. I chose the Leica because of the ergonomics, despite them being a bit heavier and overall dimensions larger.

The EL Range house their electronics in a bulge on the underside of the tubes. This makes it comfortable when glassing, but for carrying them it hit me on the hip. At this high quality level of glass it can be the little things that push someone one way or the other.

IMO - It's very important to do a side by side comparison with all of the items you are looking at...all at the same time. How they feel in the hand, comparing the glass side by side, balance, weight, features, ease of use... It's a significant amount of money and making the best decision for YOU is what's important.

The color has something to do with your eyes. I see the same thing.

Additionally when panning side to side on the EL’s I get a little bit of the rolling ball. I haven’t played with the NL’s enough outside to see if I get it with them as well. Ive only looked through them indoors before they released and was extremely impressed.
The rolling ball effect with the EL's is why I went with SLC 10x56 for high desert and mountain hunting. The EL series nearly gave me motion sickness while panning and I am not typically prone to motion issues. I was just at a shop today trying out the NL Pure 8x42 and they were phenomenal. No rolling ball effect, excellent field of view with edge-to-edge clarity. They fit very well and do not feel heavy in the hand.

Now I need to decide if I keep the SLC and start saving for the NL or if I sell the SLC and let the NL be the one bino for many purposes.

I’m also looking for binos as well. They need…

Stud mounting system for tripod use and quick release.

Software interface with a mapping app to give you the grid on what you lase and allow you to walk to that spot via GPS.

For 99% of African hunting 8x32 or 8x42 is all you need.....
When sitting somewhere glassing is when you use them the most.
When you start stalking the PH will do most of the glassing and when still a distance away so can you.
When the shooting distance is reached is the time to only operate the rifle get on the sticks and then confirm....this is not the time to be dicking around with 10x whatever binos fitted with rangefinders and angle compensators......you will loose a lot of oportunities and game that way.....
10x whatevers are big and get in the way a lot more than you may think.

I use 8x42 Leica if I had a choice they would be 8x32.....

When you start stalking the PH will do most of the glassing and when still a distance away so can you.
When the shooting distance is reached is the time to only operate the rifle get on the sticks and then confirm....this is not the time to be dicking around with 10x whatever binos fitted with rangefinders and angle compensators......you will loose a lot of oportunities and game that way.....

Well said.
Krish

Well said, especially with dangerous game.

And the same could be said about messing around with scopes.

For a dedicated set of African safari binos, you are most certainly correct. The issue comes when only 10% of the hunting a client does is in Africa and the rest is in more open country where 10x is more versatile.

There are gaps between the gear used by a PH and what a client really needs. Example...PH needs a stopping caliber rifle for backup on DG while the client needs a legal caliber that they can shoot accurately.

So I agree with you, but with qualifiers.

Years ago I bought a pair of Swarovski 8.5 X 42 EL's and I have hunted all over the world with them. There have been a few times I wished for 10's but most of the time such as in Africa I'm glad I have the 8's. Buy the best once and they will last you for many years. You'll never regret buying good optics.

For a dedicated set of African safari binos, you are most certainly correct. The issue comes when only 10% of the hunting a client does is in Africa and the rest is in more open country where 10x is more versatile.

There are gaps between the gear used by a PH and what a client really needs. Example...PH needs a stopping caliber rifle for backup on DG while the client needs a legal caliber that they can shoot accurately.

A man needs more than one pair of bino’s. How many of us have just one rifle? Which gets used more, gun or glass?

I’d be looking at the Swaro NL 8x32 or CL 8x30 for a safari Bino. I wish they did a NL 7x32. I’d prefer a little less magnification than the 8. There’s also a CL Curio 7x21 that might be a good fit.

I have a set of Swaro 8x42’s and 10x42’s that I think are the two best options to do everything with. They’re great in thick big woods New England, Piney Forests of the Southeast, or on the Prairies and Mountains out West. There are times I wish I had 15’s out west and didn’t have to carry a spotting scope, but there are also times I know I’d just take the 15’s, and want something less or wish I had the spotter. Africa is the only time I’ve wanted a little less and 8’s but my 8’s were fine.

Wish more people invested in quality Scopes and Binos. Always thought it was ironic seeing $1500-$2500 rifles wearing a sub $500 scope, or the hunter using a pair of $200-800 Binos. Same goes for shooting cheap Ammo. The bullet is the most important and cheapest part of any hunt. Why buy a $29.99 box of cup & core bullets vs a $50-70 box of premium bonded bullets?
Their loss ...

A man needs more than one pair of bino’s. How many of us have just one rifle? Which gets used more, gun or glass?
Easy to say when you already have several sets of top quality binos, but for someone just dipping their feet into this realm it makes sense to start with something you can use everyday and not just on safari.

Was you first rifle suitable for hunting African DG or was it something you worked up to over the years? It takes time (and money) to acquire items of high quality for such specialized hunting.

Reactions: WAB
I'm lucky, I guess; 2 pair: early Japanese "Carton" 8X21, and Zeiss 8X56 Range finding binos. The Zeiss haven't left the house ...

And that is what he wants.....a set for his upcoming Africa trip.....he has 22x50 that he uses for Alaska big country.
Unless his upcoming trip has changed to another contibent I still believe he is best off with 8x something not 10x something

I am looking at the leicas, can anyone tell me the difference between the geovid R which is $1400 and the 3200.com which is $2500. Is it just the ballistic calculator that's built in to the 3200.com. All I really need is an angle compensator, I could live without the rest of the stuff.
I would recommend Leica Geovid Pro 10x32 with the built in rangefinder instead. It is newer technology and I have been very happy with it. It is much more compact and lighter to boot. When one is tracking miles and miles the weight does make a difference. There is also an 8x32 version if you wish for a bit less magnification.

I’d say 8x or 10x at most. Go with a basic model of one of the big three- Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss. I’ve never seen higher power specialty optics used in Africa. For spot and stalk mountain or open country use like in western US or AK best to split the duties… useful simple carry binocs along with good spotting scope. But high power optics, either binocs or spotting scope, have a limiting, fatal flaw for practical use… air thermal distortion. :)

I would recommend Leica Geovid Pro 10x32 with the built in rangefinder instead. It is newer technology and I have been very happy with it. It is much more compact and lighter to boot. When one is tracking miles and miles the weight does make a difference. There is also an 8x32 version if you wish for a bit less magnification.
I find myself using my Swaro 10x25 pocket binos more all the time. Especially on long walk and climbing hunts. For buffalo and elephant, do you really need ranging? And if the PH has ranging binos, which many now seem to. Why carry the extra weight. I'd rather have extra water....

Easy to say when you already have several sets of top quality binos, but for someone just dipping their feet into this realm it makes sense to start with something you can use everyday and not just on safari.

Was you first rifle suitable for hunting African DG or was it something you worked up to over the years? It takes time (and money) to acquire items of high quality for such specialized hunting.

I agree totally, but hindsight being 20:20, I would have bought the second pair of bino’s before the third rifle.

My wifes primary binos are Zeiss Conquest 10x42's... They have served her very well..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenaMcclin

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!