Want to buy Safari Binos

For reference, Leica Geovid Pro 10x32. Pretty compact and one almost forgets it is there.

View attachment 533117
For DG hunting, would you consider the range finding function built into the bino's, to be a necessity, or more a nice to have? I too am looking at 8x32's as a lighter alternative for my current 10x42's, when a heap of walking is involved and shooting distances can be measured in a few car lenghts.

For DG hunting, would you consider the range finding function built into the bino's, to be a necessity, or more a nice to have? I too am looking at 8x32's as a lighter alternative for my current 10x42's, when a heap of walking is involved and shooting distances can be measured in a few car lenghts.
For strictly DG hunting, no you do not need it at all. However, even when one is going for DG there is a PG component. On my last hunt I was sniping at baboons for fun at 300+ yards and the rangefinder feature came in handy.

Also, as pricey as these optics are it is nice to be able to use them for other hunts.

I just got an email on this deal if anyone else is looking for new glass

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.18 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.20 PM.png
    457.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.20 PM.png
    457.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.43.21 PM.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 40
I was just going to post the same info from EO. $850 off sale.

Sullivan has strong feelings about it! I do carry in that style for DG hunting vs how I carry for non-dangerous game.

Now I'm having a helluva hard time deciding between those and the lieca geovid R. At that price it's $1000 more for the Swaro. Swaro's are 8x and the lieca is 10x.

I just got an email on this deal if anyone else is looking for new glass

Very good price on those. They are the discontinued model with out ballistics. Still an excellent price on them.

I didn't look closely at the model but that's a good call out on the lack of ballistics software. If you go into this much of an investment, you should try to get some ballistics solutions with it.

The only possible difference is service. In my experience, Swarovski is superlative in their service (and it’s in Rhode Island, USA). I have no Leica experience.

I have top end Swaro and Leica glass. I find no difference in the field using them as they are both fantastic glass, coatings, etc. I haven't used much of their warranty or service work. Now if you say rifle scopes, I quickly go to Swaro for my serious scopes.

Well, his method does not work if one is using a sling.

Because the slings interfere with each other? They are supposed to be across from each other on the body, or am I missing something ?

For a right handed shooter, Bino’s on left hip and rifle on right shoulder.

I am a bit of a minimalist and hate carrying extra 'stuff', especially on a hunt. So for African situations and the shorter ranges in the bush I use 7x21 Swarovski mini binos. They are super clear, weigh almost nothing and slip into a top pocket or cargo pouch. No straps hanging around your neck, nothing thudding against your chest whilst you run.

I am a bit of a minimalist and hate carrying extra 'stuff', especially on a hunt. So for African situations and the shorter ranges in the bush I use 7x21 Swarovski mini binos. They are super clear, weigh almost nothing and slip into a top pocket or cargo pouch. No straps hanging around your neck, nothing thudding against your chest whilst you run.
I have a cheap pair of Nikon minis, they're 10x25 so a little too strong for dedicated up close hunting but I do agree with you very much on how handy a set like that is size wise. I am almost totally set on the Lieca 10x42 R rangefinding binos and the more I think about it, I was prepared to pay the price of the swaros and the leica are $1000 at least cheaper than the Swaroski. I'm thinking the proper course of action is to buy the leica rangefinding binos in 10x42 and then also get a pair of the mini binos is a 7x or 8x and then you are properly covered for whatever you want to use depending on the mission at hand.

I have a cheap pair of Nikon minis, they're 10x25 so a little too strong for dedicated up close hunting but I do agree with you very much on how handy a set like that is size wise. I am almost totally set on the Lieca 10x42 R rangefinding binos and the more I think about it, I was prepared to pay the price of the swaros and the leica are $1000 at least cheaper than the Swaroski. I'm thinking the proper course of action is to buy the leica rangefinding binos in 10x42 and then also get a pair of the mini binos is a 7x or 8x and then you are properly covered for whatever you want to use depending on the mission at hand.

You’ll be covered until you start long range glassing in the west. At that point, life will not be complete without a pair of Swarovski 15x56’s!

Leica is a really top notch product, I looked at their mini's but the Swarovski design of the 7x21's clinched it. Their first outing was on a non-hunting safari, they were perfectly adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HopeDuran

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?