VX-6HD or Polar T96?

CP392

Reaction score
1000002678.jpg

I have a Christensen Arms Traverse chambered in 375 H&H that needs some glass. I'm trying to decide between these two scopes and hoping to get some input from those more experienced with higher end optics.

I have no way of seeing the S&B before purchase and have no previous experience with that brand. Leupold is the standard for many with a quality reputation all around. That being said, I'm leaning towards the S&B because it is something a little different as well as something new to me.

Any thoughts on these or possibly a different recommendation all together?

S&B will have the best glass. Very little is better than it. I wish that was the price for their 4X16, I would have that on several different hunting rifles.

The hight of the rings is the biggest thing you need to consider between the scope. S&B wins in everything else, IMHO

VX6 1-6 is also a great option for the 375. I'm addicted to the CDS in all my rifles.

I love leupold..

but if a similar S&B is available near the same price point with something closer to a 40mm objective bell... I'd be all over that..

S&B is as good or better than any other glass on the planet.. super rugged.. super clear.. super reliable.. etc..etc..

Definitely prefer the 42mm over the 50mm scope. Especially on something with a bit of recoil.

I'm a huge S&B fan but I agree with several others on liking the smaller objective diameter of the Leupold, especially for a medium bore 375 type rifle. You might also think about a Swaro option in that price range.

I don't personally own one but have been considering snagging one of the new Meta 3-18x42's. Gives the a little smaller objective diameter. I wish they'd do a 2-12 or 3-15 with a 42mm or 44mm objective.

I'd do a S&B, but a different model, probably the 1.5-6 Zenith, about perfect for a versatile 375, and the same price as the Leupold.

There isn't really a bad choice when you get to that price level and up, I will say I own a lot of both brands, and the S & B glass is the best, end of story.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

My feeling is that you all prefer S&B for overall glass quality and clarity but instead suggest the Leupold based on physical size.

I have a Model 70 in 375 topped with a 1-6x24 Leica already. I wanted a bit more magnification for this project. Could someone clarify why a 50mm objective is such a negative? Is it because of the height over bore? The possibility of a poor cheek weld on a moderately heavily recoiling rifle? Because it goes against the traditional look of a 375? Or is it something else?

The T96 with 50mm objective and 34mm tube is a pretty bulky scope for a DG gun. I don't think you realize how big it is. Something with a 30mm tube and 40-42mm objective will balance much nicer on that rifle. The 1.5-8x42 I linked is the perfect scope for a 375 in my opinion.

Hi,

To me, the perfect scope would be a Zeiss Victory old model or Victory HT or a Kahles Helia C or the new Helia, or a Meopta R2 or Swarovski. All of them 30 mm tube diameter and around 1,5-6z or so and with 42 mm objective. Light enough, bright enough, short enough and more than enough magnification specially the low end magnification .

S&B is the better scope. How far you planning on shooting?
Most shots will be under 150 yards. Might take an occasional poke out to 250 yards but the bullet drop gets too to be a bit much for me past that.

Hi,

To me, the perfect scope would be a Zeiss Victory old model or Victory HT or a Kahles Helia C or the new Helia, or a Meopta R2 or Swarovski. All of them 30 mm tube diameter and around 1,5-6z or so and with 42 mm objective. Light enough, bright enough, short enough and more than enough magnification specially the low end magnification .
I'll look into those! I've heard all good things about the Victory line of scopes.

Have several 6HD scopes, clear, bright, seemingly dependable.

Have 1 Polar. It's brighter. Only have it on a 300win, so magnum durability/dependability is untested. I expect it to be good.

If you want something in those magnifications, either would work. Plenty of comments already.

Those are good prices on both.

There is no reason to limit distance on the 375. 250gr is easily good at 400-500 yards with a dope sheet and dials.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240823_182329_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240823_182329_Firefox.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 4
Personally, I find both of your options more than a little optimistic. For starters a 6x scope is easily capable of taking game animals at 400+ yards....EASILY. That means a 1-6x scope will give you the green light for everything a PH will allow with a .375 caliber firearm.

With a price range of just under $3K, there are a number of options that will suit your needs. For instance, the Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24, Leica Amplus 6 1-6x24 and Swaro Z6i 1-6x24...all of which have illuminated reticules and are considerably lighter than the ones you suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testors

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!