Video of giraffe harvested with 6mm

@Daisy you clearly posted this video to stir, and stayed on this thread to argue about it. Now you're calling names and using ad hominem attacks.

Although it may not be your video, you posted it and you apparently know the people behind it, as you made claims about their experience, etc. And you're trying to act as if you "just want to have a discussion about the data," but for someone who just wants a discussion and is "curious about thoughts" you're mighty quick to lobby for your viewpoint.

So I don't think you came for a discussion, I think you came for an argument. Most on this forum find this behavior unethical and unacceptable and just plain uncool. That giraffe was not hunted, it was slaughtered. And by posting the video and then arguing in favor of it, you're culpable.

As a result, you have now officially become only the 2nd person on this entire forum I've chosen to "Ignore." Buh-bye.
Thanks for the feedback. Wish you had stayed around to show me where I argued in favor of it.

Also you can click ignore without posting about it.

I like animals to expire quicker than that if possible. To each his own, I like big calibers. That said, I'll never shoot a giraffe, but they are good to eat for sure.
I didn’t try them. I was surprised at how good most of the meat was.

PH offered for us to hunt giraffe several times. I didn’t take him up on it. It seems to be an animal that pulls at some heartstrings and not many go over planning to hunt them much anymore.

My thoughts:

Domestic cattle are put down with shots from .22 Long Rifles all the time. But that does not make it a suitable caliber for African Cape buffalo.

This giraffe was shot on a fenced game farm in a very controlled set of where the angle was perfect for a picked broadside shot. Hunting conditions are not always going to be this controlled.

The hunter had ample time for a second shot but didn’t take it simply because he wanted to see what happened. No two hunters can ever agree on the exact same set of ethics. But most of us (myself included) agree that firing more shots into a wounded game animal (if opportunity permits) in order to bring it down while it is still standing… is the ethical course of action since it accelerates death and reduces time of suffering.

This wasn’t a hunt. This was an experiment. During a real hunt, a heavier caliber is ideal. I have hunted giraffes with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and consider this to be a perfect caliber for them.

My standard for choosing a big game hunting caliber is this: Pick a caliber which can cleanly take game with any reasonable shot from any angle. Not one which will kill game with a perfect picked shot taken from a certain angle.

And yes, giraffe meat tastes more divine than the finest marbled beef.

Last edited:
Ok, how widely eaten is Giraffe?
How many here have eaten it?
I know both is wasted in Africa but I haven’t seen much mention of people eating Giraffe previously.
Made from meat they probably taste ok but I hadn’t considered it widely eaten by the hunters or visitors.

I had giraffe this past July (thanks @Mark Biggerstaff ! :) )…

I thought it was excellent.. it was cooked on the braai and served with a peri peri dipping sauce.. it was very tender, had a nice mild flavor, and the peri peri added just the right amount of heat/spice to it…

I know both is wasted in Africa but I haven’t seen much mention of people eating Giraffe previously.
Made from meat they probably taste ok but I hadn’t considered it widely eaten by the hunters or visitors.

Now, I regret not trying the one I shot. I assumed if it was great, it would’ve been offered. Not saying it isn’t… I’m told none of it is wasted. The outfitter has an orphanage donation program for game meat. We had several people show up for the entrails. Tarps and buckets…

Sure, every Nyama Choma restaurant in Nairobi I've ever been to seems to have giraffe on the menu...

@Daisy
If'n they can't handle the appropriate calibre don't shoot the game
My beanpole daughter who shoots very little can shoot my full power Whelen loads accurately. Connie Brookes shoots a 460 Weatherby without issue.
Don't give me that crap. If you put in enough time behind the but you should be able to handle a bigger calibre without issues the same as a small calibre
Bib
This is the bottom line.

If the person pulling the trigger can't handle the recoil of a cartridge appropriate for that animal, they shouldn't be hunting that animal!

I’m not sure that’s the case anymore..

I used to love eating at Carnivore in Nairobi… literally spent an evening there every time I visited Nairobi (3-4x a year for a period of close to 10 years at one point)… they served a wide variety of game meat nyama chomp style… until one day they didn’t…

Apparently sometime around the early 2010’s the laws changed in Kenya and game meat in public restaurants was no longer legal to be served…

I still love Carnivore.. but now it’s all beef, chicken, pork, goat, etc… no more game meat…

It does seem giraffe has dropped down the list of animals people want to kill when they go to Africa.

I was amazed how big and how agile they were for their size. I kinda assumed they were like cows before I went, but they def can move!

My taxidermist has one in the shop. They are cool mounts, just big for anywhere I could put it.

1727441707628.jpeg

I’m not sure that’s the case anymore..

I used to love eating at Carnivore in Nairobi… literally spent an evening there every time I visited Nairobi (3-4x a year for a period of close to 10 years at one point)… they served a wide variety of game meat nyama chomp style… until one day they didn’t…

Apparently sometime around the early 2010’s the laws changed in Kenya and game meat in public restaurants was no longer legal to be served…

I still love Carnivore.. but now it’s all beef, chicken, pork, goat, etc… no more game meat…
That seems ridiculous on no game meat? What’s their reasoning?

It's widely eaten in venison products, though mostly labelled Venison rather than Giraffe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TQFKelli70

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?