Video of giraffe harvested with 6mm

What is being overlooked here is the impressionable (gullable?) viewers of such videos whom are not all that experienced in the field or inclined to seek confirmation or opinions on forums such as this.

In this example, the intent of the shoot is clear - one shot kill with a 6mm.
Yeah, dumb but as it is, the giraffe succumbed to the shot about as expected and probably within the timeframe as it would in most rifle situations and certainly most archery hunts.
Good idea? Not in my book but neither is bowhunting DG or giraffes for that matter.

What has been entirely overlooked in this discussion is that, in Africa, there is far more accountability on the hunter than there is in the US for example.
I have heard more accounts of lost game in the last ten years than should be acceptable - the big difference is that a lost animal in Africa has a cost. A lost animal in North America is usually just ignored. It's more difficult to confirm a hit, miss or misplaced shot when using a smallbore. This likely results in less followup and an inclination to claim a "miss" rather than stomach the lost animal scenario. A 6.5 that doesn't pass through is not all that easy to track - not a lot of blood trail as I've been told. This video certainly bears that out somewhat - would like to see the entry wound.

This, in my opinion, has as much to do with the adulation of the newer 6.5s as it does with the trend of long range sniping of game animals and those producing videos of both have some blame to be shouldered.
The giraffe was shot with a 6mm (.243). The entry wound would be a round hole slightly less than 1/4" in diameter. Obviously there would be no exit. Had the shot been slightly off, tracking the animal would have been difficult. Of course, being inside of a fenced enclosure with a professional tracker or two would make it somewhat less complicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kellie2970

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.