Trophy - The Film

No one is putting down the kid. When hunting is made to look like shooting fish in a barrel with baiting and point blank shots of captive bred animals, I can understand why the libertard anti hunters get in an uproar.

I would like to say that I commend Philip for being willing to put himself in the line of fire. He chose to share his passion for hunting and to open up his private life to be a face and a name and a voice for all of us. I for one know it is not easy to put yourself out to be in the public eye and to receive the harshest criticism, attacks, death threats and read the horrible personal things that people you don't even know will say about you and your family.

He shared his hunting experience with the world in hopes that he could help show hunting in a better light and open up the conversation with those who are not extremists but those willing to listen and learn and be open to our experience. I hate that he is being nitpicked as he is opening himself up for the greater good for all of us. The focus should be on the broader message...that hunting and conservation are inextricably linked because when you give animals a value then you create an environment where they are more likely to survive and thrive.

I know Philip personally for a few years now, he is a good person, a thoughtful experienced hunter and a dedicated conservationist and family man and I thank him for doing this. I believe that intention is everything and Philip's intention was to participate in this project for only good reasons at his own personal expense in every sense of the word.

His effort is a great start and a positive one! The more voices and organizations that we have that are willing to stand up to the noise from the faceless internet bullies who don't even know what the grass feels like beneath their feet for our way of life the better off we will all be.

Well I apologize to Philip if he feels I was targeting him, I was not, it was meant to be a general statement despite opinions to the contrary (npm352). You should have noted, those who have taken me to the woodshed over my remarks, that I offered only an opinion on what we call it, not whether it is OK or should be OK or not. If its legal, go for it, no problem. Anyone who thinks we don't have thick brush in WA state has never hunted here. In many places its like SE Alaska, nearly impenetrable. My remarks had nothing to do with the movie in and of itself and I erred in posting them on this thread. But I stand by my opinion that that which I described earlier is not hunting in the true sense of the word, but is merely being patient. That was my only point. I will leave it at that.

I think that somehow this community needs to come together and support Philip and his family. If you agree with the movie or not, at the end of the day @Philip Glass put himself and his family out there for a cause that we all ultimately support. This is the first time I can think of that a forum member has been credibly threatened supporting that cause. So it's time to step up. I don't have the answers, but I know that if the bully doesn't get pushed back he just keep doing it....

I watched it this afternoon, once I again I thank you for putting yourself out there and commend you! I like many of us can relate so much with your raw emotion when talking about hunting with your dad and when coming up on your animal on the ground!

Philip has done what SCI doesn't have the gonads or even ovaries to do. Make a statement on his beliefs!

Does the movie depict hunting the way we would all like? No. Is it a whole lot better and balanced than we could expect from CNN? In my opinion, YES. The main reason is because of Craig Packer, John Hume and Philip Glass, with Philip taking the brunt of the criticism as the hunter.

@Philip Glass thank you for being a willing point-man in this film and about this issue. You have my deep appreciation!

a-target-on-someones-back-def.png

In many parts of the U. S. people hunt from blinds over food plots that they have planted specifically for attracting and holding deer. Phillip and I both hunt in a part of Texas that does not receive the necessary amount of rainfall to grow food plots. I have asked several wildlife biologist including Dr. Kroll of the Whitetail Deer Institute at Stephen F. Austin University and they have all said protein feeders.

The ranch I hunt on in Throckmorton County Texas is 1600 acres. It is completely surrounded by other privately owned ranches. When I am there by myself I will spot and stalk but I don't hunt near boundary fences. When all 13 members of the family are there at Thanksgiving the only safe way to hunt is in our deer blinds overlooking feeders.

Thus the feeders function as food plots do in the rainy parts of the US. They allow us to evaluate the deer. They allow us to make proper shots on the deer. The deer fall dead long before they go onto another ranch. We know where every hunter is located and nobody will be shooting in the direction of anybody else. No one can leave the blind until 9:30am. We have visited with our neighbors and have worked with them so their blinds and feeders will not be shooting at our blinds and feeders.

Finally, please remember Texas of the 1950's had 500,000 whitetail deer. Today, our deer population is over 4,000,000. Texas has been at the leading edge of research in whitetail deer.

Your questions about Texas's hunting practices have been asked before. These questions have forced me to think about my actions as a hunter in Texas. This is my ethical response to your comments.

You are very much invited to come fix and fill feeders in July in Texas. I'll bring plenty of iced tea.(y)

Sorry I don't mean to bring up this side discussion again but I just wanted to say I fully agree with you about the safety aspect of it. In my opinion its huge. In a short amount of time you can get any mentally competent individual to safely fire and use a firearm at a range. The rules are pretty straight forward and the likelihood of someone getting accidently shoot is extremely low. Each person has to stand behind the firing line when the range is hot, each shooter has their own lane etc... Now hunting a piece of land, where there might be dozens of hunters milling around as the case when it comes to public land, is a whole different ball game and one that requires a lot more knowledge and experience. This is kind of an aside but hunting courses are definatly not enough to completely prepare someone for this and if I am not mistaken in some states you can do an online hunting course or just buy a hunting license over the counter without ever having actually taken a safety course... Someone who knows absolutely nothing or has very little experience hunting could be walking around and shooting on public land with many other people around them- kinda scary...

Hunting out of a blind in some ways bridges this gap and I think it adds a lot of educational value to hunting. Think about it shooting at a paper target is one thing shooting at an animal is another. When you have an actual animal in your crosshairs your adrenaline goes up etc... even in experienced hunters, yet alone beginners. For beginners especially it is much better to have them in a more controlled environment, sited in a blind, with the gun on a rest etc... than walking about and trying to get a off the hand shoot. While some have said its more of a waiting game than hunting sure maybe it is but all forms of hunting require a lot of patience. Plus patience is definitely a skill you would want to teach to a 9 year old starting hunter, 9 years aren't exactly the most patient demographic. Furthermore hunting out of a blind allows you to teach a beginning hunter to wait until you shoot until the animal gives you a clean shot, and to control your adrenaline and not to shoot as soon as you see an animal, at its vitals and to not take sloppy shots. Just my opinion but introducing a kid to hunting by having them hunt out of a blind or stand, with their mentor right next to them, is by far the most ethical method to introduce a kid to hunting.

that which I described earlier is not hunting in the true sense of the word, but is merely being patient.

Funny . . . I always thought patience was one of the, if not the, most important trait in a hunter . . . and one that does not come easily to me!

I have watched it and let it all sink in for a few days. Philip you did a great job and showed what can happen on a hunt. I did not like it all but after hearing your side of the ele I should of figured it was not as bad as it may have been shown. I missed your sons deer hunt part some how but there is a whole lot of guys that are not hunters if stand hunting is not hunting. I myself must not be hunter since I have taken a few deer out of a stand coming to bait.

The saddest part besides you getting threats is how hunters are still targeting other hunters over how they may hunt. It makes me sick to my stomach how some so called hunters are attacking other hunters once again over the ways others hunt. I will try and stick with if I don't like something but it is legal I will just not do it and keep my dislike to myself. We are living life by laws that are made and hunting can be no different in the end. Ethics are for yourself and not to be pushed on others like so many like to do.

I just find it hard to believe some guys just don't get attacking other hunters is not good. It may not have been done perfect but getting the chance to show are side is a step forward in my eyes. Do we need to still do better? Yes we do.

Philip I am glad you have taken this all on and proud to say you can speak for my hunting rights any day. I just hope one day we can share a camp together in Africa or here in the states.

The cnn interview appears gone ? Link worked it just said not available. Anyone else ?

After watching the interviews with the couple that produced the documentary, I’m not convinced they are full on antis. They seemed and even encouraged folks to go into it with an open mind and challenge their current beliefs.

New Links:
CNN Cuomo Prime Time - aired live Fri. 1/12

https://app.frame.io/f/490ae906-7430-4465-bce6-e8f3f015f9ea

CNN Newsroom w/Ana Cabrera - aired Sat. 1/13

https://app.frame.io/f/10103325-9435-428f-9a7c-1160dbabdf66

The cnn interview appears gone ? Link worked it just said not available. Anyone else ?

After watching the interviews with the couple that produced the documentary, I’m not convinced they are full on antis. They seemed and even encouraged folks to go into it with an open mind and challenge their current beliefs.

They are still there and working. See above.

had a commitment Sunday night so set the dvr to record and for some unknown reason only go the last 30 min recorded,My hat is off to you Phillip Glass,Top shelf.Im here to back you anytime,It is so hard to explain to people that there is real meaning in the phrase A few must die so that many can live,Common husbandry practice on any farm or ranch is to remove the old genes at some point to be replced by new,We take so much for granted in this country,Seeing the look on the villagers face when they know they are going to get meat protein is heartwarming,we only need to go to Mcdonalds,Without this value they are truly doomed,Its an uphill battle but you has moved us quite a ways up the hill

upload_2018-1-17_10-7-22.png

Is it just me ?

no its the same for every link they must of figured out how stupid they sounded

IMG_5026.JPG
IMG_5027.JPG

We are doing our North American Model of Conservation research project. I added some current events.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwbybill

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.