Trophy - The Film

Hunting out of a blind is fine. Hunting under the feeder is what I have the issue with. This is not a personal attack on you. Do not take it as such. This is my opinion. Do whatever you want if it is legal in your state.

And no I would not hunt a lion or leopard or any other animal over bait.

@Philip Glass I know that you are taking some heat over the ele hunt here and other boards. That was the PH responsibility on the final shot, and he should be taking the heat, not you.
100%
Thanks!

What’s the sport in that? Different ethics in Texas.
Seriously? You need to get out more. You will find similar rules in effect in many states (South Carolina comes immediately to mind) wherever habitat limits the ability to harvest a burgeoning deer (or hog) population. More importantly, the rules encourage ETHICAL shot placement of mature deer in the lands of mesquite thickets and swamps where a fast exiting white flag is the normal view of a buck in such terrain. A happy unintended consequence is substantially reduced opportunities for accidents.

I should note that my career allowed me to hunt in a lot of states in this country, and the only time I packed up and went home was an opening morning one Pennsylvania dawn. I have been around firefights with less shooting going on. My then young son and I headed back to the truck quickly and I have never returned. In contrast, I think the Texas system is very ethical indeed.

Last edited:
@Philip Glass I know that the show and you personally have received some criticism from both sides, which is to be expected, and even helps stir healthy debate.
But that said, have you or your family received threats or harassment that goes beyond the usual criticisms??

Hunting out of a blind is fine. Hunting under the feeder is what I have the issue with. This is not a personal attack on you. Do not take it as such. This is my opinion. Do whatever you want if it is legal in your state.

And no I would not hunt a lion or leopard or any other animal over bait.

In many parts of the U. S. people hunt from blinds over food plots that they have planted specifically for attracting and holding deer. Phillip and I both hunt in a part of Texas that does not receive the necessary amount of rainfall to grow food plots. I have asked several wildlife biologist including Dr. Kroll of the Whitetail Deer Institute at Stephen F. Austin University and they have all said protein feeders.

The ranch I hunt on in Throckmorton County Texas is 1600 acres. It is completely surrounded by other privately owned ranches. When I am there by myself I will spot and stalk but I don't hunt near boundary fences. When all 13 members of the family are there at Thanksgiving the only safe way to hunt is in our deer blinds overlooking feeders.

Thus the feeders function as food plots do in the rainy parts of the US. They allow us to evaluate the deer. They allow us to make proper shots on the deer. The deer fall dead long before they go onto another ranch. We know where every hunter is located and nobody will be shooting in the direction of anybody else. No one can leave the blind until 9:30am. We have visited with our neighbors and have worked with them so their blinds and feeders will not be shooting at our blinds and feeders.

Finally, please remember Texas of the 1950's had 500,000 whitetail deer. Today, our deer population is over 4,000,000. Texas has been at the leading edge of research in whitetail deer.

Your questions about Texas's hunting practices have been asked before. These questions have forced me to think about my actions as a hunter in Texas. This is my ethical response to your comments.

You are very much invited to come fix and fill feeders in July in Texas. I'll bring plenty of iced tea.(y)

Not directed at P Glass at all, but I would say this about the deer hunt. Shooting deer from an enclosed stand whether near a feeder or not, while legal it may be, is not hunting, its simply a waiting game. I must confess to a dislike of the practice in general and particularly when I see guys on these TV "hunt shows" that talk about the "great hunt" they had shooting a deer in a feed lot from a camo stand with a scoped rifle, its not for me and I think its wrong to call it hunting, because it isn't hunting. Now don't jump all over me, I don't have a problem with a guy out hunting in the woods, sitting to see if there is activity and shooting a deer that walks by, if he was actively hunting. Going directly to a hideout and sitting all day dressed in camo with food and coffee etc, over a feed lot is not hunting. Just my ever so humble opinion.

Reactions: DCN
I can't understand how some hunters who deem themselves to be the judge of other peoples' legal hunting practices differentiate between hunting near a feeder or over any other food source such as crop or hayfields, mast or fruit trees and even native grassland or speckboom. For normal rifle hunters, if the range is 300 yards or merely 20, it is nearly a done deal. Same damn thing. Here in Saskatchewan we have a very high black bear population. If you didn't bait them, at least 90% of bear hunting couldn't happen because of where they live thereby letting population grow unchecked. About the only option besides road hunting (another contentious topic) would be hunting them in August and September over oat field. To me that's the same as baiting. Don't have tunnel vision.

@Philip Glass, keep up the outstanding work. You are the ambassador we need. And keep that boy in the outdoors!

Not directed at P Glass at all, but I would say this about the deer hunt. Shooting deer from an enclosed stand whether near a feeder or not, while legal it may be, is not hunting, its simply a waiting game. I must confess to a dislike of the practice in general and particularly when I see guys on these TV "hunt shows" that talk about the "great hunt" they had shooting a deer in a feed lot from a camo stand with a scoped rifle, its not for me and I think its wrong to call it hunting, because it isn't hunting. Now don't jump all over me, I don't have a problem with a guy out hunting in the woods, sitting to see if there is activity and shooting a deer that walks by, if he was actively hunting. Going directly to a hideout and sitting all day dressed in camo with food and coffee etc, over a feed lot is not hunting. Just my ever so humble opinion.

The woods of Washington State are very different then the brush of South Texas. There is just not a place in the brush unless its been cleared where you can just walk or just sit. Sorry its still hunting, it may not be your style, and that's ok. What not ok is when we are at each other because one person hunts one way and another person hunts another and one wants to call out the other. Remember divided we all fall.

On another matter, it would be nice the the mods would combine the two thread into one, as everyone can be on the same thread.

Last edited:
I am not sure if some of you guys were awake during the film. It was a 9 year old taking his first deer and you want to derail the Trophy thread and talk about corn feeders.
I’m just scratching my head at this point.

@Philip Glass, you've taken an enormous risk in being a part of this film. Far greater than I'd guess just about anyone who is a member of this forum. I unfortunately only caught the second half of the show as I was out and about last evening. So I didn't see the portions that seem to be causing the greatest consternation, the elephant and crocodile scenes. It would seem from I've read that the elephant scene was made worse than it would appear by the filmmakers.

Whatever the case, I won't stand here and criticize you from the safety and comfort of my recliner. It may not have been perfect, but it's the first time on a national network that the hunters side of the argument was presented. And it was done on a liberal network certainly not friendly to hunting. And to the extent that the filmmakers apparently had a change of heart over things that wasn't expected. As such I'll just say well done.

@Philip Glass I know that the show and you personally have received some criticism from both sides, which is to be expected, and even helps stir healthy debate.
But that said, have you or your family received threats or harassment that goes beyond the usual criticisms??
Death threats, threats to my children, you name it. Some very credible and disturbing. Phone calls, email, and FB too even though I have privacy settings. I’m planning to turn some of them over to the FBI.
Pretty bad.
Maybe that is one reason I don’t expect to get so much criticism here.

@Philip Glass, you've taken an enormous risk in being a part of this film. Far greater than I'd guess just about anyone who is a member of this forum. I unfortunately only caught the second half of the show as I was out and about last evening. So I didn't see the portions that seem to be causing the greatest consternation, the elephant and crocodile scenes. It would seem from I've read that the elephant scene was made worse than it would appear by the filmmakers.

Whatever the case, I won't stand here and criticize you from the safety and comfort of my recliner. It may not have been perfect, but it's the first time on a national network that the hunters side of the argument was presented. And it was done on a liberal network certainly not friendly to hunting. And to the extent that the filmmakers apparently had a change of heart over things that wasn't expected. As such I'll just say well done.
Thanks Phil

Excellent job Philip, I really enjoyed the film and congrats to your son on his first deer. The first time you squeeze that trigger and take your first deer is real special moment and shouldn’t be ruined by other people’s opinions of what they think is right or wrong.

Death threats, threats to my children, you name it. Some very credible and disturbing. Phone calls, email, and FB too even though I have privacy settings. I’m planning to turn some of them over to the FBI.
Pretty bad.
Maybe that is one reason I don’t expect to get so much criticism here.

Thank You for everything you have done. I am sure there are many of us around here that would be happy to help if possible.
This should be the real thread discussion instead of worrying about shooting a deer over a feeder...

Now us Texans have tried to explain it nice like. Don't make us TEXANS break out our favorite Davy Crocket quote. :V Poke::W Cal 50::W Ar15::W Sub Machine Gun::W Laser::D

Now let us return to the main topic of this discussion and that is trying to educate the mass of people that don't know but vote.

@sestoppelman

Obviously your post is directed at Philip despite your opening line. He is the one in the video taking his son hunting from a treestand....errrr...I mean 'waiting.' I guess he isn't a hunter yet...just a waiter. Maybe one day he can do it just like you do and be a real hunter...

What the heck people....we have a hunting film on national tv in which a case is made to connect hunting and conservation for those nonhunters who aren't decided on how they feel about sport hunting. Yet some people want to put down a 9 -year-old kid because he shot a deer over a feeder from a tree stand. This is why opportunities continue to shrink.

Philip,

I posted some negative opinions about the movie...mostly aimed at the producers and or directors. I am saddened that you have had threats....especially directed at your family. And for what it is worth, I thought the section with your son was the best part of the whole movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magnum308

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?