Trophy - The Film

Even the deer hunt at the beginning was that under a feeder? That is illegal in many states. Not something I would personally do.

Perfectly legal and considered ethical in Texas. That looked like a Protein feeder and not a broadcast feeder that would spin bait. That is also legal in Texas too.

Last edited:
Perfectly legal and considered ethical in Texas. That looked like a Protein feeder and not a broadcast feeder that would spin bait. That is also legal in Texas too.

What’s the sport in that? Different ethics in Texas.

To @Docpk

Right there. This is the problem. Hunting makes national news in a way that may educate some not so sure about it and you give Phillip crap for legally hunting over a feeder in Texas.... Instead of hunters seeing the big picture and fighting for maintaining or increasing the hunting opportunities the antis want to completely end, they disparage those who hunt in a way that is different. Let's outlaw feeders...then archery hunting because it is too primative...then rifles because it is too technologically advanced ... and let's not forget hound hunting because that has to be bad...and then let's move to outlaw pointing bird dogs because it gives the birds no chance...and Labradors because it is not ethical for one to shoot a duck and not retrieve it himself. And on and on it goes as the hunting community shoots itself in the foot over and over again and the antis stand off watching and giggling with glee.

I enjoy fair chase hunting. Just because it is legal does not make it ethical. Deer hunting over bait / feeders is illegal in most states. Unethical in my opinion. Your opinion obviously differs. To each his own.

To @Docpk

Right there. This is the problem. Hunting makes national news in a way that may educate some not so sure about it and you give Phillip crap for legally hunting over a feeder in Texas.... Instead of hunters seeing the big picture and fighting for maintaining or increasing the hunting opportunities the antis want to completely end, they disparage those who hunt in a way that is different. Let's outlaw feeders...then archery hunting because it is too primative...then rifles because it is too technologically advanced ... and let's not forget hound hunting because that has to be bad...and then let's move to outlaw pointing bird dogs because it gives the birds no chance...and Labradors because it is not ethical for one to shoot a duck and not retrieve it himself. And on and on it goes as the hunting community shoots itself in the foot over and over again and the antis stand off watching and giggling with glee.
Thanks.

I enjoy fair chase hunting. Just because it is legal does not make it ethical. Deer hunting over bait / feeders is illegal in most states. Unethical in my opinion. Your opinion obviously differs. To each his own.
Well you need to keep your damn opinion to your self. My ranch, my deer, and I’ll hunt how I want to. You jackass I was hunting with my 9 year old son getting his first deer!
Some of you guys really stepped in it and I am pissed off now.
Insulting my child is what you did you moron!
Regards
Philip

Well Done!
Good contact, good way to bridge the information, while the other person presented information that was incorrect, you shook the head and stated the true facts immediately afterwards without being personal.
You came across more knowledgable with personal experience that showed more commitment.

//Gus
Thanks Gus!

Great job!

Your mastery of facts and screen presence are very good- far superior to the other guy who looked rigid and fairly constipated and only had one statistic to cite apparently.

Keep getting the message out there- you are truly a champion of our cause. Bravo.
Thanks I really appreciate it!

Phil, I watched and recorded Trophy last night. I thought it treated the topic fairly. For sure some hunters are not what they should be and we need to work on that to the extent that we can. But on the other hand the portions of the film showing your "exploits" portrayed hunters as they should be. All in all a very uplifting presentation. Hurray for our side and thank you once again for showing how hunting and conservation are forever intertwined. I think you'd have to say "we won that round."
Thanks!

If you don’t want my opinion get off the big screen. Moron.

@Docpk
That is not the point. Who cares whether you would hunt deer over bait where it is legal. The bigger picture is disparaging other hunters. I'm sure you could find some flint-spear chucking hunter who could find something about the way you hunt to put down as "unethical." I've got a buddy who thinks anything other than fishing with a fly rod (spinning rod, live bait, soft plastic lures, etc.) is akin to tossing a stick of dynamite in the water and letting the fish float up to the top. Why not stand for hunters instead of tearing them down? I didn't see you on national TV putting it out their for the hunting community. Yet all you can say is shame on him for letting his kid legally shoot a deer off a feeder?
Would you shoot a leopard over bait? Would you shoot a lion over bait?

I watched the film last night and believe that the film makers did an extrodinary job of dupping all hunters involved...this is an ANTI -HUNTING video plain and simple. There are three lasting images in the film...the cruelty of the elephant kill, the cruelty and flipancy of the crocodile hunt, and the managing of wild animals to kill is the same as raisins cattle, goats, or chickens...that will fuel anti-hunting conversations for years.

CNN promoted this movie as having the same effect on hunting as the Blackfish movie did for the orca training (Sea World). The only people who will have a positive view of hunting after watching this film are peo people who had a STRONG positive view on hunting before watching the film.

I don't know Philip and I am NOT attacking him. I assume that they shot hundreds of hours of film of him and hand picked the worst 1 minute...but the image of standing there watching the elephant suffer and then to "share a post kill smoke" with the still dying elephant in the background was an INTENTIONAL choice to show Philip...and by extension...all hunters in the worst possible light.

I believe that the original view by SCI that this was an attack on hunting to be the value view.
Thanks for your thoughts. I can tell you for certain, based on hundreds of personal interactions with people on both sides, you are not correct that this is an anti hunting film. The antis are fit to be tied! I’ll attach a letter soon that they sent to CNN begging them to not show it.
I understand the ele was hard to watch especially the embellished sound and time it seemed to take to die. That is the only part of the film that is a bit fiction. On the ground it was not that way.
Thanks again for watching it and giving us your thoughts.
Philip

I watched it with my wife last night. I thought it was very good overall considering it was a CNN production. And I think @Philip Glass did a spectacular job of representing. There are a lot of folks that would not put themselves out there in that position as Philip did. In the days of all the blocked out faces on trophy pics....Good Work Phillip!!!
That said, my wife pretty much tuned out after the elephant scene and I wish that had been handled differently, but at the end of the day that's hunting and it's not always pretty or perfect, which I think was one of the goals to show.
Well said!

Let's try to keep the discourse civil, thx!

Regards Philip
Enjoyed breaking bread with you, your wife and sister/in law in Dallas Can’t seem to open debate but from all comments it sounds like you did a remarkable job. Watched the film twice and could see several attempts to favor antis. Two questions please are rhino farmers finally able to legally sell harvested horn? Second did you guys run out of ammo with elephant? Please take care. All in all well done
Jacques
Jacques
Yes rhino horn is legal to sell in RSA but they just won’t issue the permits in a timely manner.
No had plenty of ammo didn’t know I needed to keep shooting. Keep in mind even docs have a little movie magic behind me he scenes.
Philip

Then I guess you will not be hunting leopard or lions for that matter. Interesting that your "brand new" to AH and your first post is about baiting.

Last edited:
If you don’t want my opinion get off the big screen. Moron.
Maybe you didn’t pay attention very well. You think it unethical for a 9 year old to hunt out of a blind? You are far far left field my man!
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alain DJIEGOUE

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well