Trophy - The Film

Nicely done @Philip Glass ! I look forward to seeing the film!

Here is my CNN debate from last night:

Well Done!
Good contact, good way to bridge the information, while the other person presented information that was incorrect, you shook the head and stated the true facts immediately afterwards without being personal.
You came across more knowledgable with personal experience that showed more commitment.

//Gus

Phillip,

Excellent job!

You were smooth, articulate, knowledgeable and had great control of the facts. My hats off to you, again!(y)

Also impressed that you clean up so well.:D

@phillip Glass - well done indeed.

You have set a high bar for those who would defend hunting. But it is exactly this kind of discussion - where people see that hunters are rational people in command of their subject - that will have an impact on the non-hunters who will ultimately be the judges of our way of life.

SCI had the opportunity to engage in exactly this kind of discussion when Cecil was shot, but instead they chose to run and hide, while throwing a hunter to the wolves based on nothing more than allegations in the media, social and otherwise - allegations since disproved, at least as far as the hunter is concerned. SCI made the wrong choice then, and, unfortunately, they seem to be continuing down that path in connection with Trophy.

Great job!

Your mastery of facts and screen presence are very good- far superior to the other guy who looked rigid and fairly constipated and only had one statistic to cite apparently.

Keep getting the message out there- you are truly a champion of our cause. Bravo.

Great job by Jane finishing up talking about poaching animals as a criticism to trophy hunting.:mad: I mean she makes a great point about educating future generations to cut demand for poached ivory, and horn. But she is trying to put trophy hunting in the same category as poaching.

And it seems both her and the dude on CNN are trying to minimalise the impact of the money from Trophy Hunting that goes towards conservation. They make a point the operators or outfitters get the majority of the money. But conveniently forgetting that it is those outfitters who maintain the concessions and properties that are THE basic need for any wildlife to survive. If not for hunting operations in those areas... It would soon be poached out.

@Philip Glass great job! You are the best spokesman I have seen take these antis on. Thank you for stepping up.

Hunting outfitters are a business and all businesses need to make a profit. Its a basic need for any business owner or person. I mean we all have to work. But Jane and that guy on CNN attack hunting outfitters for doing exactly this. Now I assume Jane cares about chimpanzees or the other apes she works with, however I googled Jane Goodall net worth and it came up that she has an estimated net worth of $175 million. Probably far higher than that of guys like Jeff Rann or Johan Calitz... She obviously makes a very good living off of the conferences, speeches and so forth that she gives about chimps and her research. She clearly financially benefits off her work and thus off chimps. Yet she attacks hunting outfitters from profiting, to a far far smaller degree than her, off their business and the animals they hunt and conserve.

I would also add that people generally speaking tend to look after something when they have a self interest in doing so. Since outfitters need these concessions for future years and to continue turning a profit in the future they probably have a very strong interest in ensuring these areas remain game rich and sustainable. They don't hunt one area dry and then move on to the next one.

@Philip Glass Outstanding work and handling the debate! It is great that hunting has such a composed and knowledgeable professional representing it!

Great job by Jane finishing up talking about poaching animals as a criticism to trophy hunting.:mad: I mean she makes a great point about educating future generations to cut demand for poached ivory, and horn. But she is trying to put trophy hunting in the same category as poaching.

And it seems both her and the dude on CNN are trying to minimalise the impact of the money from Trophy Hunting that goes towards conservation. They make a point the operators or outfitters get the majority of the money. But conveniently forgetting that it is those outfitters who maintain the concessions and properties that are THE basic need for any wildlife to survive. If not for hunting operations in those areas... It would soon be poached out.

@Philip Glass great job! You are the best spokesman I have seen take these antis on. Thank you for stepping up.
Thanks that really means a lot to me. I worked hard to prepare for that 2minutes! I’ll keep beating the drum for hunting and conservation anytime I get the chance.
Philip

Just finished the movie, liked it overall. Not too heavy handed for the most part. They really tried though with the death of the elephant scene and the apparent drone lifting off into the heavens I guess. I think the movie got a tad derailed and spent about half its time with the rhino rancher. That is all good stuff, but it seemed a little out of place in a movie purported to be about the benefits or lack thereof of big game trophy hunting. Glad Mr Hume won his case in the SA courts. I really felt for Mr Hume trying to make his case in that group of ignorant folks in the auditorium. The thing about those guys shooting crocs in the pond was pretty off putting I must say. That was a new one on me, and not something I would do, and the clowns involved sure didn't make hunters look good. That was just an attempt to perpetuate the notion that most hunting is just caged slaughter, even though they did show the amount of work involved in real hunting as put forth by Mr Glass. The statistics shown were largely in our favor so that is good, but I guess the question is did it change any minds one way or the other? Possibly.

Phil, I watched and recorded Trophy last night. I thought it treated the topic fairly. For sure some hunters are not what they should be and we need to work on that to the extent that we can. But on the other hand the portions of the film showing your "exploits" portrayed hunters as they should be. All in all a very uplifting presentation. Hurray for our side and thank you once again for showing how hunting and conservation are forever intertwined. I think you'd have to say "we won that round."

I watched the film last night and believe that the film makers did an extrodinary job of dupping all hunters involved...this is an ANTI -HUNTING video plain and simple. There are three lasting images in the film...the cruelty of the elephant kill, the cruelty and flipancy of the crocodile hunt, and the managing of wild animals to kill is the same as raisins cattle, goats, or chickens...that will fuel anti-hunting conversations for years.

CNN promoted this movie as having the same effect on hunting as the Blackfish movie did for the orca training (Sea World). The only people who will have a positive view of hunting after watching this film are peo people who had a STRONG positive view on hunting before watching the film.

I don't know Philip and I am NOT attacking him. I assume that they shot hundreds of hours of film of him and hand picked the worst 1 minute...but the image of standing there watching the elephant suffer and then to "share a post kill smoke" with the still dying elephant in the background was an INTENTIONAL choice to show Philip...and by extension...all hunters in the worst possible light.

I believe that the original view by SCI that this was an attack on hunting to be the value view.

Overall I thought the movie supported the fact that hunting is perpetuating animal conservation. The elephant and croc scenes were a little tough to watch. The poached rhinos were equally as tough to watch. The bottom line is that the movie showed the reality of the situation no matter what side of the issue you are on. I’m glad Phillip represented the hunting industry, great job. The filmmakers could have easily picked a loud mouth, arrogant slob and cast hunters in a negative light.

My respect for Jane Goodall went to 0

Very nicely done! Your composure and command of the facts must have really pissed the antis off
Yep Pereshart kanta or whatever his name was pissed off. I could see it in the eyes. Nice work Mr. Glass! You can’t deny the facts! I think SCI was trying to get the anti hunting/non hunting crowd to watch this. They were the main target of this movie after all.

I watched it with my wife last night. I thought it was very good overall considering it was a CNN production. And I think @Philip Glass did a spectacular job of representing. There are a lot of folks that would not put themselves out there in that position as Philip did. In the days of all the blocked out faces on trophy pics....Good Work Phillip!!!
That said, my wife pretty much tuned out after the elephant scene and I wish that had been handled differently, but at the end of the day that's hunting and it's not always pretty or perfect, which I think was one of the goals to show.

Regards Philip
Enjoyed breaking bread with you, your wife and sister/in law in Dallas Can’t seem to open debate but from all comments it sounds like you did a remarkable job. Watched the film twice and could see several attempts to favor antis. Two questions please are rhino farmers finally able to legally sell harvested horn? Second did you guys run out of ammo with elephant? Please take care. All in all well done
Jacques

Even the deer hunt at the beginning was that under a feeder? That is illegal in many states. Not something I would personally do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasChilde

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?