Touchy Subject?

This scenario is not common and I would not want to hunt with an outfitter where it is. It signals a lack of professionalism on part of outfitter to me and the clients they attract. Agreements on pricing are made before you pull the trigger and preferably before the hunt begins. When you plan a hunt and reach a quote that is it for what you planned. If you’d like more during hunt at possibly a better deal tell your PH your interested in a certain species but not at full price list price and see what they come back to you with. If you like their offer take it and if not stick to your previously agreed hunt. I’ve often been offered better deals by outfitter during hunt, particularly at end of season. There is a professional way of doing things that is beneficial for both you and outfitter.

This scenario is not common and I would not want to hunt with an outfitter where it is. It signals a lack of professionalism on part of outfitter to me and the clients they attract. Agreements on pricing are made before you pull the trigger and preferably before the hunt begins. When you plan a hunt and reach a quote that is it for what you planned. If you’d like more during hunt at possibly a better deal tell your PH your interested in a certain species but not at full price list price and see what they come back to you with. If you like their offer take it and if not stick to your previously agreed hunt. I’ve often been offered better deals by outfitter during hunt, particularly at end of season. There is a professional way of doing things that is beneficial for both you and outfitter.
Thanks @375Fox. I see your point. I just don’t know that I’d blame the outfitter. How would they know that the client is going to haggle the bill?

I have been around this business for almost 30 years now. I have never heard of such a thing.

I’ve seen a lot of surprise fees and expenses, especially outside of RSA, but I’ve never heard of anyone trying to haggle down their bill after the hunt.

I don’t even like package hunts. I want a daily rate, trophy fee list, and any other known expenses up front. I would never dream of trying to talk the bill down after the hunt.

Thanks @375Fox. I see your point. I just don’t know that I’d blame the outfitter. How would they know that the client is going to haggle the bill?
The way outfitters advertise and market their hunts brings in a particular clientele. If it is common with a particular outfitter they are either accepting it as part of their business model or should consider changing the way they market their hunts to bring in hunters looking for a different experience. I’d suspect this is more common with the lowest cost and highest volume outfitters than those focusing on a quality experience.

The way outfitters advertise and market their hunts brings in a particular clientele. If it is common with a particular outfitter they are either accepting it as part of their business model or should consider changing the way they market their hunts to bring in hunters looking for a different experience. I’d suspect this is more common with the lowest cost and highest volume outfitters than those focusing on a quality experience.
That makes sense

Personally, I think this practice is in extremely poor taste and I hope I haven’t just exacerbated the problem.
Negotiating before the hunt is ok.
After the hunt is extremely poor taste.

I always have the price list in my pocket, but also PH with me. If something extra shows up, I make sure I double check conditions before pulling the trigger.

I also hear stories about some clients refusing to pay wounded animals. This is same category.

You haggle before not after period.
I don't haggle at all. Give me a price and I'll agree or not. If not, that is the end of it. Move on to something or someone else. I won't insult a vendor with a counter offer. I may be "thrifty" but I also try to be respectful. Similarly, an outfitter that throws the "prices subject to change without notice" crap in a contract will not get any business from me. Ever. That is an invitation for haggling.

I didn't read all the comments above yet but I've had several safaris where the pH tally at the end is significantly higher than what they proposed in the beginning and I have to say that would be taking advantage of clients! How you deal with that is your issue but it would be better if you didn't have to and it's not your fault! I vividly recall one Safari where I paid a deposit and then the final bill at the end of The Hunt was higher than the entire proposed cost of the hunt. There must be some sort of Coriolis effect combined with the exchange rate that the more schooled clients can't comprehend. You posted this thread and we answered!;

I vividly recall one Safari where I paid a deposit and then the final bill at the end of The Hunt was higher than the entire proposed cost of the hunt.
No need to name the outfitter.
But, can you list the items what came up as extra, non planned costs? Which country was it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RheaWke57

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]