Touchy Subject?

I know all of you want to shoot me but I told an outfitter I hunted with recently his cost was too low based on the experience. I just always want to be fair with my outfitters and have been so fortunate to always being felt fairly by them
I’ve been on hunts where I felt the outfitter was too generous as well. I tried to make it up with an extra generous tip. I had an unsuccessful brown bear hunt in SE Alaska. Outfitter and 2nd guide did everything in their power to get me a bear but spring just came early and was too green. There was nothing they could do. He offered me a $5000 deer hunt and no charge for extra deer instead of the regular $7000 and $1000 for each additional deer after first. I had a great hunt and took 3 bucks a few years later and he honored price. I paid him for the extra two deer and tipped his guide very well. When I asked about a black bear hunt. He offered it at $5000 again. Generosity generally gets repaid. I find the opposite true as well.

I had billing issues, or nearly so, on both of my RSA hunts. Both were booked via US-based agents. On the first hunt, when it came time to settle up there was a considerable cost for VAT. I told him that wasn’t in the contract. He said he was sure it was on the web-site (irrelevant, but I knew it wasn’t). He checked and he ate that cost. Second hunt, the cost was more than I expected so the outfitter called the agent to confirm the package deal we’d made. Outfitter came back and said “you’re right. I’m sorry.” Then there was a cost difference on a warthog - they were cheap so I shot three. I showed him the price sheet he put in each room. He changed the bill in my favor and changed the price sheets in each room. I’d happily hunt with either of these outfits again.
I've booked only one hunt through an agent. It was for elk in CO and a damned disaster from the getgo. I specified 6 x 6 and was ensured of that. When I got to the camp there was no cook, she had quit so we had to eat out at the outfitter's expense for dinner. We cooked our own breakfasts and packed our lunches.

Upon talking with my guide I was informed that there were no 6 x 6 elk in that area, only spikes, raghorns and 5 x 5s (if i was lucky). We hunted dawn to dark and never even saw a fresh track. Of course the outfitter came by the day we were to go home, all full of apologies and urging us to come back. He'd cut us a helluva deal.

I was so pissed I drove 15 hours nonstop to get home. After that I booked all my hunts directly with the outfitter. No middleman, no commission, no misinformation. Works much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mungomunn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]