Tipping Guide

Hi all, the OP was a great read! That said, it's from 2008. Is there an updated tip guide? I read the most recent couple pages though it tends to cover various aspects.
This is my hunt partner and my first African hunt. We live/hunt Montana DIY. Not really familiar with tipping outfitted adventures.

I've been told a rough overall guide is the following: 10% avg-good and 15% for good-great for the complete experience paid at the end. The owner/head operator has a % the tip is divided, based on each person's responsibility.

This a fair practice or?
Where are you going hunting? A ranch hunt in South Africa or Namibia is very different than a concession hunt in Zimbabwe. A ranch hunt is generally +/- $100 a day to PH, maybe $10-15 a day each to tracker and skinner, $20 a day to cook, $5-10 a day to housekeeping. A hunt in concession area is usually +/- $150 day to PH and generally the same amount divided amongst the much larger staff. I generally don’t base tips on a percentage of the hunt unless maybe it was a very low cost package hunt. Tips get adjusted up or down based on the trip and work put in.

Where are you going hunting? A ranch hunt in South Africa or Namibia is very different than a concession hunt in Zimbabwe. A ranch hunt is generally +/- $100 a day to PH, maybe $10-15 a day each to tracker and skinner, $20 a day to cook, $5-10 a day to housekeeping. A hunt in concession area is usually +/- $150 day to PH and generally the same amount divided amongst the much larger staff. I generally don’t base tips on a percentage of the hunt unless maybe it was a very low cost package hunt. Tips get adjusted up or down based on the trip and work put in.
Appreciate the info.
We are going to South Africa. As I understand we're hunting moutains and coastal/low land - two locations. I believe one is on their ranch, the other is a concession. Daily PH fee for 2+1 is $350 each + trophy fee. Accommodations, etc are part of the $350 daily.

Communication has been great though this is the one question I'd like to understand entering the scene. Also, from reading some of the posts here, cash USD or Rand is preferred and it sounds as though the SA Rand is better than USD, at the equivelant rate?
As I read your post, do you tip daily upon service or at the end of the hunt when wrapping up the bill?

I may sound new because I'm flat out of my element. Hah! Do people share the company they're using on the forum or after, if intending to share the success and give a nod for their service?

Appreciate the info.
We are going to South Africa. As I understand we're hunting moutains and coastal/low land - two locations. I believe one is on their ranch, the other is a concession. Daily PH fee for 2+1 is $350 each + trophy fee. Accommodations, etc are part of the $350 daily.

Communication has been great though this is the one question I'd like to understand entering the scene. Also, from reading some of the posts here, cash USD or Rand is preferred and it sounds as though the SA Rand is better than USD, at the equivelant rate?
As I read your post, do you tip daily upon service or at the end of the hunt when wrapping up the bill?

I may sound new because I'm flat out of my element. Hah! Do people share the company they're using on the forum or after, if intending to share the success and give a nod for their service?
I try to take Rand to tip out the staff. I tip US cash to my guide. I tip on the very last day, so when I get to camp, I lock up my cash and paperwork in my gun case and that is where it stays. I see no reason or value in tipping daily.

You are certainly welcome to say who you are hunting with, in fact I suggest you do so that others who have already hunted there may have tips or suggestions for where you are hunting.

We were referred to LJ Safaris from a well respected hunter on a US DIY (primarily) based hunt forum. As I mentioned, the communication with Juan has been great! We are set for mid/end of this September. It's finally here and now it seems time suddenly began ticking much faster and questions I should have asked earlier are now at the forefront.

Hi all, the OP was a great read! That said, it's from 2008. Is there an updated tip guide? I read the most recent couple pages though it tends to cover various aspects.
This is my hunt partner and my first African hunt. We live/hunt Montana DIY. Not really familiar with tipping outfitted adventures.

I've been told a rough overall guide is the following: 10% avg-good and 15% for good-great for the complete experience paid at the end. The owner/head operator has a % the tip is divided, based on each person's responsibility.

This a fair practice or?
I think the best example is what each of us has done. On my April hunt of 7 days for my elephant I did the following given it was an outstanding hunt:
PH: $1,000
Trackers: $200 each
Staff: $100 each
Government people each: $100
This was just what I chose to do

Appreciate the info.

That type of hunt will fall under the ranch hunting guidelines I gave. For a 2:1 hunt I’d split the difference with both hunters and tip more or less based on service. A concession outside South Africa refers to large government or community areas usually with several dangerous game species. Some large farms might get referred to as concessions in South Africa but they are still farms/ranches and easier for outfitters and PHs to operate from. Tips are paid one time at the end of the hunt based on how you felt about the hunt as a whole. PH in US dollars. Staff in US or local currency but I find it easier to give US dollars. They have their system to get it converted.

For a 5 day hunt, about 1 grand max for the camp folks is what to expect. About half to your PH, and break it down from there. It could vary depending on the amount of animals hunted, how pleased you were with the PH and staff, etc.

I hunted for five days, trophy Waterbuck, trophy female Gemsbok and a great Impala, and tipped my PH $500 USD, he was worth so much more, but left all I could, same for the rest of the staff.

Take newer US bills, as the older ones were not accepted.

I looked at your outfitters web site and he doesn't recommend what you should trip.

My last hunt was with Frontier Safari's in the Eastern Cape and they have a good example of what to tip for the first time hunter.

Since I don't want to clutter up this thread anymore than it is I am going to send you a PM with some more information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bayshooter

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!