Tipping Guide

Hunting elephant in Zim in a few weeks. There will be an apprentice PH in addition to the PH. Any recommendations on how much to tip the apprentice?
You are hunting elephant and not a blesbok. Were it me, and assuming the appy is competent, hard working, and seriously involved in the hunt, then I would target something like 25% to 30% of what you are giving the PH - particularly since you know about it ahead of time. Often, he will do more of the actual work than the PH.

You are hunting elephant and not a blesbok. Were it me, and assuming the appy is competent, hard working, and seriously involved in the hunt, then I would target something like 25% to 30% of what you are giving the PH - particularly since you know about it ahead of time. Often, he will do more of the actual work than the PH.
Thanks very much!

I rarely disagree with Red Leg . . . But I might just in the is case, if only with respect to his rationale.

In my limited experience, an appy typically doesn’t have much work, or extra work, to do in elephant hunting. The hunt typically involves driving until tracks are found, assessing them and then following them. The PH will be involved in all of those aspects and will make the decisions. He may ask the appy for his views, but only as a teaching moment.

The most important part of elephant hunting in my view is judging ivory, and that takes both knowledge and experience. In my case, I was told we could expect around 50 pounds a side in the area, if we were lucky and took our time. We got close to an elephant and my PH told me he estimated it at around 55 lbs, so we took it. Turned out to be 55 on one side and 58 on the other. That can take years of experience.

Compare this to a leopard hunt, where an appy could do a lot of work, such as pre-baiting (where allowed), as well as driving all day placing and checking baits on his/her own.

Having said that, I don’t think I disagree with Red Leg’s estimate for a tip!

I rarely disagree with Red Leg . . . But I might just in the is case, if only with respect to his rationale.

In my limited experience, an appy typically doesn’t have much work, or extra work, to do in elephant hunting. The hunt typically involves driving until tracks are found, assessing them and then following them. The PH will be involved in all of those aspects and will make the decisions. He may ask the appy for his views, but only as a teaching moment.

The most important part of elephant hunting in my view is judging ivory, and that takes both knowledge and experience. In my case, I was told we could expect around 50 pounds a side in the area, if we were lucky and took our time. We got close to an elephant and my PH told me he estimated it at around 55 lbs, so we took it. Turned out to be 55 on one side and 58 on the other. That can take years of experience.

Compare this to a leopard hunt, where an appy could do a lot of work, such as pre-baiting (where allowed), as well as driving all day placing and checking baits on his/her own.

Having said that, I don’t think I disagree with Red Leg’s estimate for a tip!
Very fair point. Moreover, I have not hunted elephant - dodged them a few times but never hunted one. The times I have had an apprentice on buffalo and plains game, he did an enormous amount to insure a successful hunt.

I’m going to reference this exchange for the muppets who have a difficult time grasping a respectful exchange of ideas without the urge to attack another member who might be in disagreement.

My experience as well!!!

I agree with you but I think the most important words are “assuming the appy is competent, hardworking, and seriously involved in the hunt.” Especially in Zimbabwe because the process to become a PH is so difficult there are many that will never advance past the apprentice stage. There is a really wide range of apprentice PHs. Some I’d hand $50 or $100 just to say they received a tip and others I think really earned a good tip. I know of outfitters going through multiple apprentices in a season and other apprentices that worked multiple seasons and became a PH.

Making a bigger explanation in my point. Anybody that joins the hunt aside of the needed team (PH, tracker and Driver) I personally dont tip or provide a symbolic tip.

Is not about what I hunting (I've hunted a couple of elephants, same with buff, leopard, etc).

Whom ever is "imposed" to me to join the team I do not tip. This includes parks ranger, the private landowner's scout, PH apprentice, etc. I consider they should get paid and at no point they are needed.

I gave the appy on my hunt 200 if I remember. He swam through croc infested waters to tie a rope to mine to then swim back and help us drag it on shore. I honestly could say I’d never do that

Making a bigger explanation in my point. Anybody that joins the hunt aside of the needed team (PH, tracker and Driver) I personally dont tip or provide a symbolic tip.

Is not about what I hunting (I've hunted a couple of elephants, same with buff, leopard, etc).

Whom ever is "imposed" to me to join the team I do not tip. This includes parks ranger, the private landowner's scout, PH apprentice, etc. I consider they should get paid and at no point they are needed.
You can continue doing what you think is best, but I definitely think you are taking a risk not tipping the parks ranger or game scout. It is partly a bribe in a sense but they can choose to write anything they want in their report. If $100 keeps them honest and happy it’s a worthwhile investment.

Just completed a Zim hunt and had both an appy in his 3rd year and also a "first time" game scout. Was a very short 5 day hunt but felt they both contributed. The game scout was extremely safe with her AK-47 and stayed out of the way. While the appy helped spot game and was handy with a blade while processing. I felt $100 to the scout and $200 to the appy justified.

You can continue doing what you think is best, but I definitely think you are taking a risk not tipping the parks ranger or game scout. It is partly a bribe in a sense but they can choose to write anything they want in their report. If $100 keeps them honest and happy it’s a worthwhile investment.
My game scout worked his ass off, harder than the tracker and driver in my opinion. I ended up giving him $250ish. He also knew my buff had a bullet from another hunter and was not going to say anything to the council. Not that it’s my problem but the ph could have had to pay another trophy due to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linqinggou637

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?