Tipping Guide

The other thing I will say is try to get to know the staff. They are generally really great people and will enjoy visiting with you.

The other thing I will say is try to get to know the staff. They are generally really great people and will enjoy visiting with you.
Yes. Wendy and I told the cook on our 2013 Mozambique safari that we were going to hide him in our suitcase and take him home with us! Lol. He said he would have loved to go with us. Haha.

@DieJager you seem to be adjusting to other cultures. My complaint is about some European hunters who simply refuse to adjust to another culture. Like I mentioned, it is Africa being visited, not Europe.
That is absolutely hilarious. Someone from the least adaptable culture in the world, once again feels compelled to tell all others, their way is the only right way and if you disagree you are morally deficient. The Hubris is amazing.

That is absolutely hilarious. Someone from the least adaptable culture in the world, once again feels compelled to tell all others, their way is the only right way and if you disagree you are morally deficient. The Hubris is amazing.
I’m guessing that you didn’t read my second paragraph in post #1025.

I will stand by my belief that you should tip. If it’s not done in your country, fine, but we are talking about hunting in AFRICA.

The outfitter's suggestions are just that. It is a guideline to assist you. As a proud member of the "least adaptable culture in the world" that has spent most of his life living outside the US and fluently speaking more than one language, here is my golden rule: Courtesy costs nothing. If you treat everyone decent and with respect, and then give from the heart what you are capable of giving, it will be well received and appreciated.

Safe travels.

Last edited:
That is absolutely hilarious. Someone from the least adaptable culture in the world, once again feels compelled to tell all others, their way is the only right way and if you disagree you are morally deficient. The Hubris is
So I guess you think a $20 tip to a poor tracker for an entire safari is sufficient? Good for you, Mr. Adaptable.

I see you are from Canada. I love Canada and Canadians, in general. I have several Canadian friends. I have hunted in Canada before and will be hunting there again next August with my son in the Yukon. I don’t think our Canadian guide would appreciate just a $20 tip, either.

Please also enlighten us on the big differences between the culture in Edmonton Alberta, where you are from, and say, Denver, Colorado? Hmmm… both former oil towns and mostly white but I would bet Denver has a higher percentage of Hispanic and other non-white races? I guess I hadn’t heard that Edmonton was the worldwide capitol of multiculturalism. Do tell.

Last edited:
So, it continues tp amaze me just how uneducated you are about the places you travel. You seem more than happy to talk out your hat about stuff you could easily Google before displaying the high level of ignorance in your last post. 46% of the population of Edmonton is NOT white, and the rest are represented by many different cultures, so it is in fact very multicultural. You for some reason assume I am white.

With respect to tipping, which is the actual topic at hand, tipping is pervasive in the U.S., and now in places where it has been exported by the U.S., including the hunting fields of South Africa. Tipping is not pervasive in the rest of South African culture, particularly among the Black population. It is also not widely practised in the majority of the rest of the world, outside the tourist areas.

There are 400,000 million Americans, and 7.8 BILLION other people on the planet. Try to let that sink in when you think yours is the only opinion that should matter.

Last edited:
Wow, I guess I must be a horrible person for tipping generously. Do I need to write an apology letter to all of the African staff I have tipped over the years? Before you start ripping on me for being a dumb yank, I am Canadian as well.

Im not sure why tipping has to be so complicated...

Cultures are different all over the world.. to include whether or not tipping is part of the culture and/or how tipping is conducted..

For me, the easiest solution is to let the outfitter guide me on what is appropriate.. Having hunted with guides on 4 continents, to include all over the US, I've never once had one tell me "no, I cant help you with that.. just figure it out for yourself..."..

If I cant trust the guide to be honest with me and offer me genuine support/assistance on something like tipping.. why am I hunting with him in the first place? If I cant trust them to help with information on tipping, I sure as hell don't want to trust them to put me on the best animal available, or to back me up with dangerous game, or not to leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere in a place I am unfamiliar with, etc..

What is an appropriate tip in one camp, might not be appropriate in another... what is appropriate in Germany, might not be appropriate in Argentina.. etc..

There will never be a universal, one size fits all answer or solution to the problem..

And the outfitters "guidance" is just that... guidance... if I feel like someone has gone above and beyond, or has been extra hospitable, etc.. I will make sure to reflect that in several ways (not just in the tip).. if I feel like someone has not done the best job they can or has been purposefully unhelpful or difficult, that gets reflected as well..

It amazed me that after 51 pages people are still looking for Black and White rules in a Grey world. Basically, why do you care what others do, go by what satisfies and makes you feel happy/comfortable. The only parties involved who's opinions matter are you and your PH/Outfitter. You are never going to sway the opinions of others on here, but it is entertaining.:D Pop Popcorn:
To answer all those that seem inclined to misread or pile on: My post from 4 pages back. Do what you feel is right but quit berating everyone else who doesn't think exactly like you do. They are not moral degenerates because they disagree with you. This is my last response to the intolerant few.

So, it continues tp amaze me just how uneducated you are about the places you travel. You seem more than happy to talk out your hat about stuff you could easily Google before displaying the high level of ignorance in your last post. 46% of the population of Edmonton is NOT white, and the rest are represented by many different cultures, so it is in fact very multicultural. You for some reason assume I am white.

With respect to tipping, which is the actual topic at hand, tipping is pervasive in the U.S., and now in places where it has been exported by the U.S., including the hunting fields of South Africa. Tipping is not pervasive in the rest of South African culture, particularly among the Black population. It is also not widely practised in the majority of the rest of the world, outside the tourist areas.

There are 400,000 million Americans, and 7.8 BILLION other people on the planet. Try to let that sink in when you think yours is the only opinion that should matter.
Yes, and more than 46% of the exact city limits population of Denver is also not white. Big deal?

The "hunting fields of South Africa"? South Africa is but one country in Africa where tipping is the norm. If you don't want to tip in Africa, don't, but tipping IS the norm there, which is the point you like to ignore.

In Zimbabwe the Safari staff depend on tips almost exclusively as they get paid almost nothing for their labor which is close to 14-16+ hours a day.

What we all dont like is hidden expenses.

And with possibility of tipping from 0% to 10%, 15% or more, then "undefined expectations" its nothing else then hidden expense. If I pay 5% in tipping where in unwritten rule, I am expected to pay 10%, and get to know that only later, I dont feel good about it.

If the workers are underpaid, it is as simple as applying different day rate, loud and clear, and cover the workers. On some receipts in European restaurant, I have seen line "gratuities", on final account.
I dont see why, the tipping would not be accounted in average safari offer, loud and clear. If I can afford all inclusive expense with tip, I go, If I cannot, i dont go. Simple as that.

What we all dont like is hidden expenses.

And with possibility of tipping from 0% to 10%, 15% or more, then "undefined expectations" its nothing else then hidden expense. If I pay 5% in tipping where in unwritten rule, I am expected to pay 10%, and get to know that only later, I dont feel good about it.

If the workers are underpaid, it is as simple as applying different day rate, loud and clear, and cover the workers. On some receipts in European restaurant, I have seen line "gratuities", on final account.
I dont see why, the tipping would not be accounted in average safari offer, loud and clear. If I can afford all inclusive expense with tip, I go, If I cannot, i dont go. Simple as that.
Some of the hunts I’ve done in Europe have been very impersonal. Guide picks you up at hotel in morning, hunt 3 hours, dropped off, then a different guide in afternoon, meat dropped off for processing. Hunts in Africa are much more personal. Your PH and staff are available your entire hunt and adjust to you to give you hunt you want. In Europe, under conditions I described, I can understand not tipping and including all in rate paid. However, in Africa a tip is a personal thank you to those who worked hard for you. If you are happy tip, if you are really happy tip more, if you were unhappy and made no attempt to get to know your PH and staff over course of your hunt then don’t tip and don’t return. I don’t want it included in rate I pay because then it’s no longer based on quality of service and you will have to pay VAT on it.

Last edited:
Tipping is for service. If I like the service then I tip accordingly, if not then the tip sinks towards zero. One thing, while in game farms most if not all of the staff are employees in most free range countries they are independent contractors and tips are figured in.

Yes, when one is paying $$$$/day in daily fees one should not have to worry about tips, but that is not reality.

The only tipping I do not like is the Parks Ranger. I am already paying (in Zimbabwe) $50/day for him/her to come along plus a share of the meat and then I am still expected to tip them ($10/day is what I paid on the last trip).

The only tipping I do not like is the Parks Ranger. I am already paying (in Zimbabwe) $50/day for him/her to come along plus a share of the meat and then I am still expected to tip them ($10/day is what I paid on the last trip).
Fully agree on this. I’ve always given them a minimal acceptable tip so they don’t create a problem, but I’ve had very few that added value and acted like part of hunting team.

Btw, I didn't assume ANYTHING about your race. On the other hand, you assumed I did.

Wow, I guess I must be a horrible person for tipping generously. Do I need to write an apology letter to all of the African staff I have tipped over the years? Before you start ripping on me for being a dumb yank, I am Canadian as well.
@WAB
I'm Australian and we generally don't tip at home BUT if tipping is part of the culture then I have no problems.our trip organiser told us what we needed to tip and it was fairly generous and we did it gladly. These tips are an add on to the staff and comparing Namibian wages to our own I can see how much they are appreciated.
Bob

@WAB
I'm Australian and we generally don't tip at home BUT if tipping is part of the culture then I have no problems.our trip organiser told us what we needed to tip and it was fairly generous and we did it gladly. These tips are an add on to the staff and comparing Namibian wages to our own I can see how much they are appreciated.
Bob
As usual, @Bob Nelson 35Whelen gets it!

The silliest comments here are those who complain that such and such country or region should do things differently ...... Pay higher wages, include the "tip" as part of the upfront cost, whatever. That attitude is pretty much a classic definition of "ethnocentricity." Something we non-worldly American rubes have been accused of for generations.

Let me offer an observation based on fifty years of extensive international travel. No one is going to change an industry-wide compensation system or economic model because some non-resident doesn't like it. As a visitor, it is far better to simply realize things are done differently in fill in the blank (rather like the past). ;) Pretty much end of discussion. So the only real question is whether you adapt to those mores, don't go, or be miserly.

It is just like the US service industry - particularly restaurants and bars. Often servers in those establishments aren't even paid what is considered in this country a minimum wage. They, like many staff in African countries, are essentially working for tips. I should add, in a good restaurant or bar, that can mean a very nice monthly income. We have a young friend in Virginia with a MBA who "can't afford" to quit her waitress job. The fact that a European or Canadian visitor thinks we ought to have a different system is irrelevant. The choice is either adapt to US customs while here, don't come, or stiff your server.

And as I have noted several times in this epic discussion, I do choose to tip in Europe. Even small out of the way guesthouses high in the Alps or the MIdi of France. Haven't had one thrown back in my face yet. And though it is not adapting, I think it is a far better non-adaption than ignoring people who have worked hard and are counting on our generosity.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shbet-0lat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.