Tipping Guide

@DieJager's comment about each of us could write our own guide is a good one; there is a wide spectrum on this thread. That said I still think it's a great thing to keep this one going. For me, even if opinions are disparate, I saw enough on here prior to my hunt to point me in a direction, which probably aligned with how I am wired about stuff like this anyway. It was helpful. Hopefully this thread keeps going and can be helpful to future newbies like it was to me. Also, my tipping fairly closely mirrored what @Tanks did. Not that that's the right path, but it was for me, and information on this thread made me feel better about my choices when I made them.

And I have never seen two price listings for Europe and the US. What deals may be struck at an outdoor show is a different issue I suppose. But different price lists?
I have seen it.

But I believe it was just for currency differences…to list Euros for Europe and SA Rand for South Africa and USD for US

But admittedly I did not do the conversions/math when I saw it to verify they were all the same rate

The safari world may be smaller and more communicative than we think. If i had a grand adventure i would rather have a reputation of a good generous client than a bad skinflint. So err on the high side. May want to go back again……and again.

You'll find that some operators have a different price list for different regions of the world. That's not meant to insult any culture, its meant to address customer expectations of what someone gets for their money in terms of services, etc.

Americans like "all inclusive" prices in many regards so some operators price in drop-off to/from airport, plus salt, plus delivery to taxidermist, plus beer/wine in their pricing package. Other cultures like itemized bills because they may say "i don't need salt, I only take skulls" or they are intending to do sight-seeing before or after and thus do not need car services.

There is yet another price list for in-country guests that have an expectation of lower trophy quality but demand to take all the meat with them as groceries for the next year.
Excellent information.
I can not expect to bring meat home to the USA but others can and do. It just never entered my mind others can and do take meat with them. :)

I may have missed this in the thread but I have a question.
How do you tip the PH if he is actually the Owner/Outfitter? Do you tip him the same as if he was a PH working under someone else?
Absolutely. The owner deals with the government, landowners, local communities, hiring/firing, logistics, supplies, bookings, payroll, taxes, camp facilities, gun permits, etc, etc…. If that same person takes the time to personally guide you, in addition to all the above, you should tip him.

Americans are accused by some Europeans (and other regions) of thinking Americans are the best and that everyone should do everything like we Americans, do. Often, these thoughts by Europeans and others are correct.

However, I then find it ironic that Europeans will go to other countries where wages are lower and tipping common and complain about tipping or not tip at all. People need to adapt to the local culture and customs or stay home.

So if one takes their vehicle to a garage for repairs and the owner does the work instead of a hired mechanic, he doesn't paid for it???
If one tips the mechanic that worked on the vehicle that doesn't mean the owner gets a tip also for writing the service order???
I suppose if one really wants to hunt they will figure it out.
At least the animal won't care how it is settled as it will be dead. :) WHAT!!!! I wasn't worth a tip??? Next time I'll make you track me for the rest of your hunt days! :)
Apples to oranges. Tips are not standard operating procedure at a repair shop.

People need to adapt to the local culture and customs or stay home.
Well the real question then, maybe should not be how much European or American tips. We should ask the question how much the local hunter tips? And then, is local hunter tribal member, local farmer, or urban guy from big city? (all different cultures)
This i think has not been discussed yet.

Excellent information.
I can not expect to bring meat home to the USA but others can and do. It just never entered my mind others can and do take meat with them. :)
I am not sure that is correct information

In RSA the meat generally stays with the landowner.

In other countries it often goes to local villagers

I could be wrong but I don’t think the meat goes to the hunter very often, especially hunters from a country outside the one being hunted

Absolutely. The owner deals with the government, landowners, local communities, hiring/firing, logistics, supplies, bookings, payroll, taxes, camp facilities, gun permits, etc, etc…. If that same person takes the time to personally guide you, in addition to all the above, you should tip him.

Americans are accused by some Europeans (and other regions) of thinking Americans are the best and that everyone should do everything like we Americans, do. Often, these thoughts by Europeans and others are correct.

However, I then find it ironic that Europeans will go to other countries where wages are lower and tipping common and complain about tipping or not tip at all. People need to adapt to the local culture and customs or stay home.

It is tricky. It's all cultural norms we're trying to sort out when we aren't in our own nation. I think 99% of people on this forum would find it bizarre to tip their doctor or surgeon. That is standard cultural norms in Japan. (god help you if you go cheap on your cardiac surgeon!)

North Americans are big on "pay for performance" so in many sectors, we pay low wages and extraordinary wages. Europeans are big on "everyone should have a livable wage" so the assumption is that everyone that shows up is already making ends meet. In both cultures, those truths aren't consistently true across every industry so everyone is confused. That's why there is 52 pages just trying to figure out the right thing to do for an African safari. It doesn't make it any easier to sort out when Africa has tried to adapt to OUR customs and norms.

Americans love all-inclusive vacations and some marketing is geared towards that, Europeans may be marketed by Africa in a different style. So now we're not just trying to figure out how Africa works, but how the African marketing teams think we think!

I am not sure that is correct information

In RSA the meat generally stays with the landowner.

In other countries it often goes to local villagers

I could be wrong but I don’t think the meat goes to the hunter very often, especially hunters from a country outside the one being hunted

@TERMINATOR there is a different price list and different expectation for a local hunter. In Zim for example, a resident might ask an operator for a "local hunt". This would entitle them to lower prices for potentially non-trophy animals as a great experience and a wonderful "Grocery run". The services may not include a cruiser (the local has one) and may not include room and board (they bring tents).

I think our friend @Kevin Peacocke enjoys these types of hunts in his circle of friends?

In other cases @TERMINATOR you can also be correct. Some concessions are in areas managed by CAMPFIRE or a Rural District Counsel where they have exclusive claim to all the meat (minus a steak or two) that occur from foreign hunters.

Excellent information.

In most cases the meat does not belong to the client. Yes, some choice cuts go to the camp, but the rest is either distributed and even sold.

Here you can see an good example:
A policeman in Zimb. earns around 200 US dollar a month.
So a 20 - 30 dollar tipp (complete, not per day) for an tracker and co. will be fine.
A PH is good payed by the company. (Sometimes then he is an great man, I present him an item of my good hunting equipment. (Or I send him some high quality pictures later on.) Or - mutch better - I hunt without an PH on my own, self guided, as we did it in europe ever.

I had hunted around the world, and as an european man, I "hate" the (so called) tipping culture.
I pay good for an hunt, so I can expect that the owner of the company payed the staff great.
This is ridiculous! You hate the tipping culture - then stay home! Everything in other parts of the world is not done as it is in Europe. I think your opinions are imperialistic and reek of colonialism. You would pay a lot of money to the airlines, the outfitter, arrive with an expensive rifle, etc… but then tip a poor African person $20 for a week?? Just because wages there are really low and there’s poverty? A policeman makes $200 a month so you think that’s enough? Therefore, we should only tip a tracker $20? Do you enjoy taking advantage of poverty to save you a few dollars? In addition, these are seasonal jobs with a short amount of time to make a living. I just returned from a trip to Zambia and tipped my trackers $500 EACH. We can afford to help people and I find it disgusting that a wealthy European, American or anyone would not show more gratitude and help people that help us! When in Africa, you are not in Europe!

Last edited:
@TERMINATOR there is a different price list and different expectation for a local hunter. In Zim for example, a resident might ask an operator for a "local hunt". This would entitle them to lower prices for potentially non-trophy animals as a great experience and a wonderful "Grocery run". The services may not include a cruiser (the local has one) and may not include room and board (they bring tents).

I think our friend @Kevin Peacocke enjoys these types of hunts in his circle of friends?

In other cases @TERMINATOR you can also be correct. Some concessions are in areas managed by CAMPFIRE or a Rural District Counsel where they have exclusive claim to all the meat (minus a steak or two) that occur from foreign hunters.
I do know that "Local Hunts" happen.

But I don't think "Local Hunts" are the main focus of this thread.
I doubt people on "Local Hunts" have a PH and staff, much less tip them.

I don't know of any hunters that travel to another country in Africa and hunt with an outfitter/PH that keep the meat, beyond some to enjoy with dinner while on the hunt. Laws prevent it and even if there were no laws against it the cost would be insane. You think getting trophies home is expensive???? Trying getting meat home before it spoils....I know what it cost to ship 150lbs of frozen Halibut from Alaska to Michigan Air Express before it thaws. A few hundred (thousand) lbs of meat from Africa to the US or even Europe before it thaws??? Better be a billionaire

But once, I could be wrong. I just don't think I am.

Last edited:
I was mentioned here so I will respond. Local hunts as in local residents hunting locally do happen, but we often pay at or near full rates like foreign hunters do. Very late season specials come up from time to time, but prime Africa isn't for free. If you are hunting DG then you have to use a PH. We ALWAYS tip the PH and the trackers et al, it makes you feel good to know you are helping both them and hunting to survive.
Yes, we sometimes take our own tents, not to save a buck, but because we love our retro camp set up. Invariably the PH or the owner pulls in for many a meal and drinks, they love it too.

This thread has really pissed me off! To think someone from Europe or America would actually not tip or tip a poor tracker $20 for a whole trip is just so wrong. We are asking the local, poor Africans to not hunt (poach?) wildlife in their own countries to feed themselves or sell it on the bush meat market to make a living in exchange for us to go there and hunt the wildlife and conserve the wildlife. What is their incentive to not poach? A $20 tip for a whole trip? Idiotic. Disgusting.

Last edited:
I was mentioned here so I will respond. Local hunts as in local residents hunting locally do happen, but we often pay at or near full rates like foreign hunters do. Very late season specials come up from time to time, but prime Africa isn't for free. If you are hunting DG then you have to use a PH. We ALWAYS tip the PH and the trackers et al, it makes you feel good to know you are helping both them and hunting to survive.
Yes, we sometimes take our own tents, not to save a buck, but because we love our retro camp set up. Invariably the PH or the owner pulls in for many a meal and drinks, they love it too.
Do you keep the meat?

This thread has really pissed me off! To think someone from Europe or America would actually not tip or tip a poor tracker $20 for a whole trip is just so wrong. We are asking the local, poor Africans to not hunt (poach?) wildlife in their own countries to feed themselves or sell it on the bush meat market to make a living in exchange for us to go there and hunt the wildlife and conserve the wildlife. What is their incentive to not poach? A $20 tip for a whole trip? Idiotic. Disgusting.
Parts of this thread really make me angry as well. I don’t understand trying to find justification to be cheap. There have been hunts I’ve done I think I could have found a better deal elsewhere after the hunt, but there has never been a hunt I wish I would have tipped less after the hunt. I even ran out of cash on one hunt. I distributed cash to staff and wired PH his tip after the hunt. I really thought everyone involved went above and beyond and earned it. I couldn’t imagine myself justifying $20 in my head. I’d be embarrassed to hand that out. I will however complain endlessly about paying 20%-25% VAT while in Europe.

Parts of this thread really make me angry as well. I don’t understand trying to find justification to be cheap. There have been hunts I’ve done I think I could have found a better deal elsewhere after the hunt, but there has never been a hunt I wish I would have tipped less after the hunt. I even ran out of cash on one hunt. I distributed cash to staff and wired PH his tip after the hunt. I really thought everyone involved went above and beyond and earned it. I couldn’t imagine myself justifying $20 in my head. I’d be embarrassed to hand that out. I will however complain endlessly about paying 20%-25% VAT while in Europe.
+1

Do you keep the meat?
Sometimes, one of our members makes a lot of biltong for himself and hand outs. I take very little, a fillet from the bigger animals or an impala leg. I would like to set up better to be able to make sausage and smoked cuts, then I will keep more. You normally pay the outfitter for the meat you take, but it is very reasonable.

Sometimes, one of our members makes a lot of biltong for himself and hand outs. I take very little, a fillet from the bigger animals or an impala leg. I would like to set up better to be able to make sausage and smoked cuts, then I will keep more. You normally pay the outfitter for the meat you take, but it is very reasonable.

@Kevin Peacocke a bit of a tangent, but have you looked at the Zimparks auction hunts? They have dilapidated camps to pitch tents and you get the land access, plus a set quota. Some of those hunts can be a deal for locals, especially if you're doing non-DG where you aren't required to have a PH if I remember correctly. In the past I saw Sapi "Fish Camps" go for $4000-$5000 for 10-14 days inclusive of 2 impala and 1 hippo for camp meat. In similar price ranges the Tuli Circle would have a 6-8 animal package for 10 days. You keep all the meat.

The only gotcha is if you don't harvest the animal, no refunds. Its all a prepaid bag. And if you're the first guys in, you may spend days repairing roads and cutting back jess for the cruisers. Definitely a neat hunt for the locals.

I did three of them over the years. I liked the scenic beauty, I did not like the lack of anti-poaching or the impossibility of pre-scouting. The PH if one is used at all has 24-48 hours access at camp to setup before the clock starts running. Not a lot of time. Would be great for a bunch of families as a holiday though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbrahamHal

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]