Thoughts on the use of a Pederzoli Kodiak .50 sxs muzzle loader : 370gn Maxi-balls for plains game hunting?

Members, I am fortunate to be invited to go hunting warthogs with the Pederzoli Kodiak sxs muzzle loader. Warthogs are really devastating farms in the Limpopo regions where there are still cattle farms..So I have a free hand to hunt as many as possible and it cost me nothing...my accommodation will be a stretcher under the stars and my own camp fire , listening to the bush.
So I believe I will at last be able to see how effective a .50 caliber cast bullet is on a warthog from a Pederzoli SXS muzzle loader.. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Members, I am fortunate to be invited to go hunting warthogs with the Pederzoli Kodiak sxs muzzle loader. Warthogs are really devastating farms in the Limpopo regions where there are still cattle farms..So I have a free hand to hunt as many as possible and it cost me nothing...my accommodation will be a stretcher under the stars and my own camp fire , listening to the bush.
So I believe I will at last be able to see how effective a .50 caliber cast bullet is on a warthog from a Pederzoli SXS muzzle loader.. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
It is really hard work, but someone must do it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Members, I developed a great affection for shooting my .50 Pederzoli Kodiak express sxs . Any opinions in regards to the best bullet /weight to use when doing plains game hunting? I believe walk/stalk hunting out to 80 meters will be the norm.
Species will include warthog, impala, kudu, blue wildebeest .

@Gert Odendaal I think the plan lives or dies on the quality of the bullet. Are you an expert lead caster by chance? I know you can create lead alloys that have better performance, and i know the experts drop them into arsenic and then bake them in a toaster oven to get the brinnel hardness up considerably while also preventing the alloy from being brittle.

As you know, with the right bullet almost anything is possible.

@Gert Odendaal I think the plan lives or dies on the quality of the bullet. Are you an expert lead caster by chance? I know you can create lead alloys that have better performance, and i know the experts drop them into arsenic and then bake them in a toaster oven to get the brinnel hardness up considerably while also preventing the alloy from being brittle.

As you know, with the right bullet almost anything is possible.
Rookhawk, no, I am not an expert on anything , accept in finding the right bullets for the right rifle ..that is where it stops...I still am trying to improve my bush craft and shooting skills with my .50 caliber double ...will spend a lot of time these next two weeks to be able to shoot the double accurate out to 80 meters...fortunately a warthog can be stalked to fairly close distances ...especially where they are in great abundance ...the farm I am going to is a cattle farm as well as produce farm...they are growing vegetables , tamatoes and other crops..the baboons/warthogs/guinea fowl are causing a lot of devastation to the crops...

Apart from taking my muzzle loader I am taking my 12GA Greener sxs for guinea fowl and my 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for the baboons..

Hunting wart hog in the mornings/afternoon , guinea fowl through out the day and baboons from 9 o'clock to midday...or whenever they are around these crops..
But my main objective will be hunting warthogs ...I will be camping in the bush near the river m having my own camp fire , sleeping on a stretcher under the stars, I am allowed to walk/stalk when ever and where ever I want on this farm..

Rookhawk, no, I am not an expert on anything , accept in finding the right bullets for the right rifle ..that is where it stops...I still am trying to improve my bush craft and shooting skills with my .50 caliber double ...will spend a lot of time these next two weeks to be able to shoot the double accurate out to 80 meters...fortunately a warthog can be stalked to fairly close distances ...especially where they are in great abundance ...the farm I am going to is a cattle farm as well as produce farm...they are growing vegetables , tamatoes and other crops..the baboons/warthogs/guinea fowl are causing a lot of devastation to the crops...

Apart from taking my muzzle loader I am taking my 12GA Greener sxs for guinea fowl and my 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for the baboons..

Hunting wart hog in the mornings/afternoon , guinea fowl through out the day and baboons from 9 o'clock to midday...or whenever they are around these crops..
But my main objective will be hunting warthogs ...I will be camping in the bush near the river m having my own camp fire , sleeping on a stretcher under the stars, I am allowed to walk/stalk when ever and where ever I want on this farm..

For myself, and possibly more than few other forum members, you are about to embark on my/ our dream African hunt.

For myself, and possibly more than few other forum members, you are about to embark on my/ our dream African hunt.
Ridge Runner, there was a time in South Africa where a farmer with game on his farm gave you as a hunter permission to hunt some game for the pot, alone, go guide at all, just the trust between the farmer and yourself.

Today that is not possible anymore..but I always ask cattle farm owners if I can camp in the bush on their farm to hunt animals that cause damage to water pipes /crops , usually I am extremely fortunate to get permission to hunt like this..on some farms there are "trek game" meaning game that cross these farms , jumping fences , these game animals usually is shot for a reduced price since it is not really the farmer`s property like on a Game Farm...
This includes some huge kudu bulls , wart hogs and smaller game ...

Ridge Runner, there was a time in South Africa where a farmer with game on his farm gave you as a hunter permission to hunt some game for the pot, alone, go guide at all, just the trust between the farmer and yourself.

Today that is not possible anymore..but I always ask cattle farm owners if I can camp in the bush on their farm to hunt animals that cause damage to water pipes /crops , usually I am extremely fortunate to get permission to hunt like this..on some farms there are "trek game" meaning game that cross these farms , jumping fences , these game animals usually is shot for a reduced price since it is not really the farmer`s property like on a Game Farm...
This includes some huge kudu bulls , wart hogs and smaller game ...

:A Surrender::E Horrified::E Crying:Please don't rub any more salt and alcohol in my wounds. Your absolutely killing me.:ROFLMAO:

Growing up it was about knowing what is in season;. what animals can be legally hunted during the time of year. Most any farmer would let a person hunt on their property, so long as the person asked before trespassing to hunt. If the farmer knew the person, or once he got to know the person, then he might allow the person to spend/ camp out on his property a night or 2. If the person helped the farmer with a few farm chores the farmer might even feed the person; meaning usually an invite to supper.

Nowadays, as pretty much worldwide, if a person could get permission from a farmer it would be either through long established family acquaintances or by opening up one's bank account. Even then there is still no guarantee a farmer will give his permission.

(Eastern US) Farms are generally 20 to 500 acres in size. So anytime we could get the parents' permission to ask certain farmers for hunting permission and everyone (adults) said, yes. We were elated (that's world class understatement).

Only animals available to hunt: in the fall and winter: cotton tail rabbits, squirrels, maybe quail, and rarely seen pheasant. In spring and summer groundhogs.

Comparatively for us youngsters hunting on 100 plus acres is like you hunting 200,000 acres. As an adult I've come to enjoy hunting and camping on designated public lands. But nothing, to me anyways, would compare to being able to freely roam and hunt a 1000, 10,000, 100,000, plus acres in Africa.

:A Surrender::E Horrified::E Crying:Please don't rub any more salt and alcohol in my wounds. Your absolutely killing me.:ROFLMAO:

Growing up it was about knowing what is in season;. what animals can be legally hunted during the time of year. Most any farmer would let a person hunt on their property, so long as the person asked before trespassing to hunt. If the farmer knew the person, or once he got to know the person, then he might allow the person to spend/ camp out on his property a night or 2. If the person helped the farmer with a few farm chores the farmer might even feed the person; meaning usually an invite to supper.

Nowadays, as pretty much worldwide, if a person could get permission from a farmer it would be either through long established family acquaintances or by opening up one's bank account. Even then there is still no guarantee a farmer will give his permission.

(Eastern US) Farms are generally 20 to 500 acres in size. So anytime we could get the parents' permission to ask certain farmers for hunting permission and everyone (adults) said, yes. We were elated (that's world class understatement).

Only animals available to hunt: in the fall and winter: cotton tail rabbits, squirrels, maybe quail, and rarely seen pheasant. In spring and summer groundhogs.

Comparatively for us youngsters hunting on 100 plus acres is like you hunting 200,000 acres. As an adult I've come to enjoy hunting and camping on designated public lands. But nothing, to me anyways, would compare to being able to freely roam and hunt a 1000, 10,000, 100,000, plus acres in Africa.
Ridge Runner for sure..you are absolutely correct, in South Africa during my childhood time we did not have game farms as you know it today. Only Game parks like Kruger National park and other reserves ...
The Limpopo region, North West regions/Kalahari and Lowveld regions here in Mpmalanga was the areas men/sons would go to cattle farms , where there will be game , and camp in the veld to hunt and make biltong..
Game farms in South Africa only came much later, today there are four times more game in private game farms than was before the first Settlers came to South Africa.. due to the value that was add to the game on a farm..
South Africa`s game industry runs in the billions , it provides for a lot of employment , it has a whole lot of levels connected to Game Farms/hunting/conserving game species that was on the brink of extinction, like the Nyala ...

Yes, most large game farms has fences , unlike Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana but still we have a great country to live and hunt in as it was done the past years ....

I really am looking forward to hunt on this cattle farm, using my muzzle loader on warthog..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345

Latest profile posts

Ready for the next hunt
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg