Thoughts on the use of a Pederzoli Kodiak .50 sxs muzzle loader : 370gn Maxi-balls for plains game hunting?

The OP has access to all of the black powder he can burn but not all of us have that luxury when in Africa.

Powder, smokeless or black is only transported by means of ground or ship. I am told that the retailers in Namibia get together and when their combined orders are large enough to fill a container that order will eventually make it to a port in country. I was able to arrange (WELL in advance) to have a can of FFg delivered to a shop for me to pick up once in country.

I couldn't tell any difference between the Wano from Germany or the US made GOEX that I had been shooting. I believe that the black powder that Graf & Sons label is the same Wano but I didn't know that at the time or that is what I would have worked up my loads with. I use RWS percussion caps at home but CCI brand was what I was able to source in Namibia. I found that humorous.

I believe that with enough notice you could source shotgun primers and have a good chance of arranging to have whatever powder works best in one of those "modern" muzzleloaders.
Dirt dart, yes I am fortunate, Johan Greyling of JS Gunsmith is also the owner of self manufacturing ZAR black powder in any grade you wish for.
He also is casting front loader cannons based on Historical correct cannons used through the wars in South Africa .
DSC01354.jpeg

P1010623.jpeg
P1010560.jpeg
33333331112 ZAR Black Powder  Not for sale to the British.jpeg

Your information has merit if the OP's topic was about Modern Day Inline rifles. But....

Modern (Inline) Muzzleloarders. Shooting 150 to 200 grain charge of pellet formed powder and 209 primers.

Modern Inlines are a different subject. Comparing apples to oranges when discussing sidelocks.

1. The OP's subject matter is a Sidelock, Double Rifled barrel, SxS rifle. Not a single barrel Modern Day inline.

2. Side locks are loaded using a By Volume Weight charge using a powder measure.

And Yes some shooters will actually pre measure, scale weigh, their powder charges. Which is another subject.

And Yes some traditional shooters will pour small amounts of loose powder down their barrel before loading powder pellets as a way to ignite the pellets using "caps".

3. Sidelocks require "flint" or "caps": 2 different subjects. Since the OP is discussing a sidelock "cap" gun. There is the focus of conversation.

"Caps" meaning types of: Musket, #10, #11. Not using 209 primers. Or other types of "technically muzzle loading" firearms and using smokeless modern reloading powders.

Although it has been known to happen; Musket, #10, and #11 caps are not reliable, " hot enough", by themselves to ignite pellet powder.

Other types of muzzle loading firearms are a third and totally different subject. Comparing apples, oranges, and tomatoes (a fruit or vegetable).

A forth category are smoothebores. Again not part of this discussion.
Ridge Runner, excellent guidance and explanation.....here in SA, I am a member of SA Jagters/SA Hunters hunting association...even they have it wrong..
Here is what the exercise entails:

Attachments

Ridge Runner, excellent guidance and explanation.....here in SA, I am a member of SA Jagters/SA Hunters hunting association...even they have it wrong..
Here is what the exercise entails:

I trust we are still discussing sidelocks and not modern inlines and not sidelocks and inlines shooting together, competing side by side.

Modern inlines should compete as a seperate class and on seperate range from sidelocks.

Are those just the basic rules or the complete rules governing a typical competition shoot?

Theses rules seem pretty close to NMLRA competition rules for the 100 yard range.

Only 2 exception or rather a more detailed explanation of:

Misfire Procedures. What is meant by "....moving to a safe area..." ? Is the shooter required to move to an alternate different range away from the scoring range?

Safety Rules

Loading procedures and charging the firearm from a medium flask?:E Excited::E Horrified: Oh Hell No!! See Remarks below Blowing Down the Barrel.

Immediately recommend and get that be changed to using a separate powder measurer.

....quantity of caps.... Recommend, if not already in use of, that shooters are only allowed to have and use "cappers".

I would also add to the Safety Rules the following:

NO Blowing down the barrel.
Something you may or may not have heard of before. Shooters will actually blow down the barrel in an attempt to extinguish any hot ambers of powder residue prior to pouring a powder charge down the barrel.

I don't know how or when this bad idea got started. Blowing down the barrel to extinguish any hot ambers is not like blowing out a match. Just the opposite it encourages the amber to heat up and when especially loose powder hits the amber the powder ignites.

I invite you check out the following for our Range Rules and Regulations and Competition Rules and Regulations.

Go To: National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

Click on: Website
Click on the drop down menu the 3 bars top right
Click on: The Range
Click on: Matches

Have fun exploring all the different types of muzzle loading competitions your club can do.

There is a wealth of information on muzzle loading: hunting, shooting, competition, cleaning and care, building, repairing, history, trekking, reenacting.

"Blowing through/into the barrel" I was told it is needed to keep the sooth in the barrel wet/damp to ensure loading /pushing the cast bullet down the barrel with more ease....
I myself do not do this, I frequently clean the barrel/s while shooting , using a piece of wet cloth (chewed ) to clean out the barrel/s

The single most scarce item to me is the TOP HATS , CCI product I need for my .50 Pederzoli Kodiak Express double...I am fortunate to sources at least 200x top hats..Do you /members use a funnel to pour the black powder from your brass measurer into the barrels or do you pour the powder direct from your brass measurer .???
This is when you do not hunt with traditional attire , on the shooting range ???

The powder measure I use in the field has its own funnel. The funnel swipes off the excess powder when lined up with the measure.

20240707_171600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like a great option, fast and practical..you can have multiple tubes pre-measured to pour as fast as you can shoot.
Anyone using this device members??

I use this device made from the lid from an empty black powder container to pour into the powder measure.
I lose very little powder and put the original lid back on the powder can when finished. Brass will not spark.

20240707_173402.jpg

The powder measure I use in the field has its own funnel. The funnel swipes off the excess powder when lined up with the measure.
Dirt dart, keep in mind I carry all the black powder in it`s container I bought from the manufacture plant...
1112 ZAR Black Powder  Not for sale to the British.jpg

Attachments

The advantage of this quick loader is that you have a few extra plastic veils to fill the precise charge you use ...this will make reloading fast..I would say even fast enough to participate in the Black powder shooting contest at our shooting days..this item can be brought from the USA to South Africa without any challenges at the Airports /customs.
https://muzzle-loaders.com/products...91665&pr_ref_pid=7047450624209&pr_seq=uniform

The advantage of this quick loader is that you have a few extra plastic veils to fill the precise charge you use ...this will make reloading fast..I would say even fast enough to participate in the Black powder shooting contest at our shooting days..this item can be brought from the USA to South Africa without any challenges at the Airports /customs.
https://muzzle-loaders.com/products...91665&pr_ref_pid=7047450624209&pr_seq=uniform
My point was that I use the pictured set up to pour directly from the can to the powder measure without the need for a funnel going to the measure. The integral funnel on the powder measure makes it easy to dump the charges down the muzzle.
I use the same set up to fill vials of premeasured powder for hunting but on the range the only powder that leaves the can is what will charge the barrel.

I prefer not to use a flask as the middle man unless absolutely necessary.

Blowing through/into the barrel" I was told it is needed to keep the sooth in the barrel wet/damp to ensure loading /pushing the cast bullet down the barrel with more ease....
Blowing air dry the barrel does not moisten the "soot". In fact check the caked carbon, or even a dry patch used to clean around the breech there is plenty of moisture released from the burnt powder.

Like a chimney collecting soot from burnt wood it collects, builds up, and when elements are at optimum the chimney catches fire. Pretty much the same with muzzleloaders. Blowing down the barrel in just adding air to the fire sort of speak.

I myself do not do this, I frequently clean the barrel/s while shooting , using a piece of wet cloth (chewed ) to clean out the barrel/s

Spit, chew, a few other names, but you are doing it correctly.

Whether a shooter uses "spit patch" or LIGHTLY dampen patch with a solvent or with a wet wipe to wipe/swab a barrel between shots or a hasty cleaning between a string of shots.

The single most scarce item to me is the TOP HATS ,

Are you referring to Musket Caps?

Do you /members use a funnel to pour the black powder from your brass measurer into the barrels or do you pour the powder direct from your brass measurer .???
This is when you do not hunt with traditional attire , on the shooting range ???

Best way I can explain: see photo.

20240707_171400.jpg

Note powder measure on far right. It has a funnel attached to top that pivots away from the mouth of the measurer to pour powder into the adjustable measurer replace funnel and pour powder down the center of the barrel.

I prefer to use this type measurer for my 50 and smaller caliber firearms.

Note powder measure 2nd item left to right.

This adjustable powder measure has a larger mouth and barrel that can be used to measure powder and shot into smoothbore firearms.

I prefer using this measurer when using my 60 and larger smoothbore firearms. No funnel is required, and one measurer for both powder and shot.

What is not shown is a whitetail spike antler drilled to measure an 80 grain charge.

To answer your question: Do I use a powder funnel? My answer is sometimes. Depending on bore size.

As for Competition Shooters: Some do, Some don't.

As for the other 3 items in the photo:

These are cappers for #10 and #11 caps. A larger version of the bar shaped capper can be had for musket caps.

This looks like a great option, fast and practical..you can have multiple tubes pre-measured to pour as fast as you can shoot.
Anyone using this device members??

I use them for hunting only.

Dirt dart, keep in mind I carry all the black powder in it`s container I bought from the manufacture plant...View attachment 618259

With exception to the Woods Walk and the primitive line competition All powders are to be kept sealed at the loading bench. Once the shooter's rifle is loaded the canisters are to be resealed.

If you can find an easier way to go from the "can" to the measure please let me know. In a traditional setting this method will not draw as much ire on the firing line as will anything made of plastic.

@Gert Odendaal

For Primitive Line Shoots and The Woods Walk courses we use powder horns and flasks as the median between manufacturer's container and the powder measure.

@Gert Odendaal

"Quick loaders", Speed loaders, etc. can be made using 1/2 or 5/8 pipe and 2 cap/covers per speedquick loader; cut the pipe to desired length, mark one cap to designate the bullet or powder end, and now you can easily make as many as you want.

Thank you kindly Dirtdart/Ridge Runner, great to have this discussion. I really liked the cap feature , one of my friends got such a feature and it works like a charm..I only use the :top hats percussion caps .

These are cappers for #10 and #11 caps. A larger version of the bar shaped capper can be had for musket caps.

I am not sure if there are cappers for the top hat percussion caps???

Pictured is another type of powder measure I find handy on the range for keeping spillage to a minimum. The capper pictured is designed for "top hat" musket caps such as my beloved RWS 1081.

20240708_082820.jpg

Pictured is another type of powder measure I find handy on the range for keeping spillage to a minimum. The capper pictured is designed for "top hat" musket caps such as my beloved RWS 1081.
I am on the lookout for a Top Hat percussion cap capper...I will be visiting a Black Powder utensil shop Thursday..this is the only Black Powder /rifle shop/ items in South Africa , it is situated in Alberton, Gauteng, South Africa ..I will upload a few photos ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaraAmies

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe