The cost of shipping Trophies

With shipping costs where they are, it's no longer cost effective to have shoulder mounts done overseas. It just dramatically increases shipping costs
My magic 8 ball broke so didn't see the shipping increase coming this time around.
Our taxidermy is about done and not really much options at this point. Not worried, not saying i like where shipping costs have ended up but it was budgeted for so all good.

With shipping costs where they are, it's no longer cost effective to have shoulder mounts done overseas. It just dramatically increases shipping costs

The problem is that the taxidermist here in the US are also raising their rates.

My preferred taxidermist here in the US that did 5 of my shoulder mounts from my first trip 7 years ago has tripled his rates on African mounts and moved his time frame out by at least 6 more months.

So on my upcoming hunt I'll have the work done in South Africa and get the mounts in 6-9 months instead of 12-18 months. The cost difference will be eaten up in the shipping but I'll have the mounts on the walls way earlier.

The problem is that the taxidermist here in the US are also raising their rates.

My preferred taxidermist here in the US that did 5 of my shoulder mounts from my first trip 7 years ago has tripled his rates on African mounts and moved his time frame out by at least 6 more months.

So on my upcoming hunt I'll have the work done in South Africa and get the mounts in 6-9 months instead of 12-18 months. The cost difference will be eaten up in the shipping but I'll have the mounts on the walls way earlier.
Very true.

I think if we dont do video/pictures only we may pursue the d/p option IF shipping prices are still up there.

Well I'm not aware of that since my Cousin is a Taxidermist and charges me next to nothing. I guess you just can't win.

2008 hunt and did the dip and ship on my 5 trophies and had them mounted over here. the cost was about $300 per animal to get them to my taxidermist for the dip/ship in Africa to the US and inspection and shipping over here. Shipping cost will be by volume and that can get really expensive on the large animals. the cost of the taxi work over here was less than $1000 difference for the 6 animals I had and that was going to be a lot cheaper than the freight for 6 monted animals. i talked with a gentleman on the plane coming back and he had an Eland shoulder mounted in Africa and had to pay $3000 for the shipping back to the US just for the Eland.

By the way, I am heading that direction again on Friday to begin a 10 day safari in the Limpopo on the 20th.

Just received an updated shipping quote for our 2021 trip. Keep in mind this is only the crating and airfare back to JFK. 1 buff shoulder mount, 1 buff euro, Sable shoulder, WB shoulder, 1/2 croc, and zebra skin. $11,500....sure hope prices come down by the time all is ready to ship BUT we have options to make it work either way.

Good gosh almighty, I almost choked on my jalapeño and cheese deer sausage! Definitely don’t want to see the bill on last years safari.

One has to remember that on most of these huge quotes or prices are for finished mounts. And by the time you figure in the size of a cape buffalo, a sable and a couple other finished mounts you are looking at a huge crate.

When I had mine done 7 years ago I fit 5 animals into a 4'x4'x10" crate, but they were all dip and packed and the price that I paid then or would of paid now would reflect it.

My crate just cleared customs in Chicago. What I found shocking was that domestic freight to Central PA was around $450. In comparison, my air freight was roughly $600. Kinda had some sticker shock when I got the invoice

One has to remember WHY shipping costs have risen at such a rapid rate. Give it time, it will level back out.
A 1/2 croc mount obviously needs a much larger crate then 3 shoulder mounts.

One has to remember that on most of these huge quotes or prices are for finished mounts. And by the time you figure in the size of a cape buffalo, a sable and a couple other finished mounts you are looking at a huge crate.

When I had mine done 7 years ago I fit 5 animals into a 4'x4'x10" crate, but they were all dip and packed and the price that I paid then or would of paid now would reflect it.
I'm with you on past rates. We brought back a lifesize lion & impala and 3 or 4 shoulder mounts. If i remember correctly, the bill to my driveway was under $8k.

Reactions: BWH
Anyone wonder if they would have cancelled their trip if they knew freight charges would be so high?

Anyone wonder if they would have cancelled their trip if they knew freight charges would be so high?
That thought did not cross my mind. For us, having the physical taxidermy on our walls is secondary to the experience, adventure and hunt.

Taxidermy maybe, not the trip.

I probably would have dipped and packed having just paid about 2500$ for 10 mounts a couple of days before leaving for RSA in May of 2021. Figured 6 animals of similar size would be about the same or less with more flights available. Only time will tell as my animals are at the shippers now.

Last crate from SA to HOU in February was 256kg at ~3000$ for the crate. A little high for the times, but at ~19$ a pound, its worth remembering if you want it back stateside. In another generation I doubt we will be able import much as individuals. Maybe a savvy LLC willing work a few loop holes can fit a few museum quality skins back to a humble hunter…

For my upcoming hunt in June I am going to have one shoulder mount and 3 or 4 euros done in South Africa. I figure that with what I'll save on taxidermy cost between South Africa and my taxidermist here in the US will be offset by the shipping charges. But I'll have my mounts a year earlier than if I had them done here in the US.

I have been weighing the options for the last year or so. I plan on a single shoulder mount of a warthog and then 4 or 5 euro's all done in South Africa.

Cost wise it is pretty much a wash either having it done there or back here in the US as far as cost of the mounts and shipping and since I am having the euros done there I'll get the shoulder mount done there also.

The big plus is that I'll have the mounts on the wall in 6-9 months rather tan 12-24 months.
Most of the Taxidermists near me want 3 times the amount to do a shoulder mount......

Most of the Taxidermists near me want 3 times the amount to do a shoulder mount......
That was a big deciding factor. My taxidermist upped his prices so much that it was scary plus he is now 15 months out minimum from the time you drop off the capes and horns.

Mine went to the shipper last week. Quote for air freight, S.A. to DFW for 5 Shoulder mounts (largest is Kudu), 3 Euro Shield mounts, 1 Zebra rug, 5 backskins: $3,989.

Volumetric weight: 324 Kg, Actual Weight = 132 Kg.

My hunting buddy's crate and my crate are being shipped together under one freight bill. He had 9 animals - all done as Euros + some rugs/skins - and his breakout was $2,740.
210 Kg Volumetric weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudryCline

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?