The cost of shipping Trophies

I have a crate that's been sitting in Atlanta since Feb 25th waiting FWS & Customs to clear. It contains 2 shoulder mounts, Kudu, & Gemsbok and a Sable floor pedestal mount. Crate size is 49x42x41 and weighs 214 lbs. Rex Freight Forwarders (great family business, very responsive to multiple inquiries) out of Port Elizabeth handled the shipment, traveled with Turkish Airlines, and Coppersmith as broker. Price breakdown is:
Freight $ 2453.00
Terminal fee 67.00
Depot handling 65.00
Fumigation 64.00
Courier 92.00
Insurance 113.00
Rex Freight 255.00
Total $ 3109.00
Well, I have one that has not shipped yet. 3 pedestal mounts, 11 shoulder mount, and a rug. Was quoted 5500 last year for shipping. I'm not looking forward to the flight bill that's coming... I want to throw a fit, just no one to blame. The shop, shippers and everyone involved did not cause these high prices. It will make me rethink what I'm willing to get mounted next time. I get why people are doing photos and making books.

I have a crate that's been sitting in Atlanta since Feb 25th waiting FWS & Customs to clear. It contains 2 shoulder mounts, Kudu, & Gemsbok and a Sable floor pedestal mount. Crate size is 49x42x41 and weighs 214 lbs. Rex Freight Forwarders (great family business, very responsive to multiple inquiries) out of Port Elizabeth handled the shipment, traveled with Turkish Airlines, and Coppersmith as broker. Price breakdown is:
Freight $ 2453.00
Terminal fee 67.00
Depot handling 65.00
Fumigation 64.00
Courier 92.00
Insurance 113.00
Rex Freight 255.00
Total $ 3109.00
Wow. Non of your animals need CITES so wondering why so long to clear in Atlanta. My shipment hits Atlanta March 17th. Trophy Shippers with Tom handling things so hope no problems

With the way freight charges are rising I’m going to rethink how I do any future trophies, might dip&pack again have the skulls and capes delivered to my home and have them mounted piece meal, one or two at a time with higher taxidermy prices here. The freight is eating up any savings of South African taxidermy. Of course it’s too late for my 2021 Safari as they should ship by the end of the month. No prices yet and not looking forward to it.

Greetings,

I recieved a notification informing me about the price for the trophies shopping for South Africa to Chicago.

$1085
One box, the dimensions 132×70×45. I don't know if that in centimeters!?
4 trophies plus one skin.

Since this my first, I don't know if that was expensive or not?
What was it before the covid madness?
With the oil prices rising up and up, should we expect more cost in the future?something to consider unfortunately.

Thankfully my wife not on this great site.

Regards!
I've received quotes from two different shops in the Eastern Cape and both were around $1500 for one crate containing 2 shoulder mounts/2 Euro Mounts/ 2 skull mounts and 5 backskins. That was a quote to Denver CO. I curious as well if these are accurate, since I've read of folks paying high storage fees and total shipping of $5-6K!

Freight $ 2453.00
Terminal fee 67.00
Depot handling 65.00
Fumigation 64.00
Courier 92.00
Insurance 113.00
Rex Freight 255.00
Total $ 3109.00
Thanks for the Rex freight words. I currently have 22 animals D&P in Hunters and Collectors in PE. When I visited shop we discussed cutting all shoulder mount skulls to reduce weight and size, Kevin agreed. They recommend Rex Freight, of course when I get dimensions and weight I will shop around on shipping. Being on West Coast of Canada and clearing myself adds to the "fun". Really hoping freight bill does not shock me more than expected.

MB

I’ve never understood why they ship the whole skull in dip & pack, seems like the skull cap would be sufficient. Can anyone explain this to me. Thanks

I cannot explain. Maybe for those that want to display skulls before mounting? I will mount so only require eye socket to nose "plate" jaws, teeth and extra bone means extra weight and dimensions that I will pay for and dispose when I cut to mount. Hunters and Collectors is the first D&P company that will do this (for me), and this will be first from all safari shipments that I have had done, any $ saved means faster return to Africa.

MB

Wow. Non of your animals need CITES so wondering why so long to clear in Atlanta. My shipment hits Atlanta March 17th. Trophy Shippers with Tom handling things so hope no problems
I have everything at home now. Turns out FWS had placed other documents on top of not just mine but about half a dozen or so individuals and lost track of all of it. Coppersmith gave them a push and it was located and immediately released.

I don’t know why so many people have taxidermy done in Africa with shipping so high now and based on size and weight of the crate. Cheaper taxidermy cost probably offset by expensive shipping now, not to mention the lack of legal recourse when you get the wrong trophy or any other problem.

Three skulls and horns. Shipping alone was $1300. South Africa to New York.

My credit card is already screaming from reading these threads and I haven't even been notified as to when my taxidermy is due to ship.
Supposedly 1 crate: shoulder mounts: eland, gemsbuck, leechwe, warthog; full body mounts baboon and mongoose; and back hides of the shoulder mounted animals.

Just in case someone from the IRS is monitoring this site:

Asking for a friend:;);)

Anyone know where I can get 2 jobs that pay well and cash under the table so I might be able to afford the expected shipping cost?:E Crazy Eyes::E Crying:

I have been weighing the options for the last year or so. I plan on a single shoulder mount of a warthog and then 4 or 5 euro's all done in South Africa.

Cost wise it is pretty much a wash either having it done there or back here in the US as far as cost of the mounts and shipping and since I am having the euros done there I'll get the shoulder mount done there also.

The big plus is that I'll have the mounts on the wall in 6-9 months rather tan 12-24 months.

Tom with Trophy Shippers told me 3 days in Atlanta then 3 days to my home over the next two weeks which I think is great

We have 2 crates coming from ZIm, our 2019 crate that was just ready to ship when Covid hit and shut everything down. The second is from my 2020 trip, I asked if the trophies could be combined and was told no problem so I'm not sure why 2 crates but I also don't know if it makes any real difference. The bill was $3100.00 to Chicago, might just do a video next time and leave the critters behind. This was no mounted animals, just skins and skulls. 2 buffalo, eland, waterbuck, impala, kudu, warthog tusks, baboon, klipspringer, and grysbok.

I was just quoted a few weeks ago by Condor Cargo 5 Euro mounts from Joburg to Chicago for 850
That's a great price. Overseas shipping costs have doubled and tripled over the least year. Even at home in the U S. domestic shipping has increased about 100 percent over a few years ago

We are using Safari Specialty Importers for last Octobers trip and awaiting the quote on 3 shoulder mounts (buff, wb, sable), 1 buff euro, 1/2 lifesize croc, and 1 zebra skin.
My guess $6-7k into NY but will wait and see.
We did a full video of this hunt plus taxidermy but with these costs it might simply be video/pictures here on out.
I know our walls would fully support the idea...

We are using Safari Specialty Importers for last Octobers trip and awaiting the quote on 3 shoulder mounts (buff, wb, sable), 1 buff euro, 1/2 lifesize croc, and 1 zebra skin.
My guess $6-7k into NY but will wait and see.
We did a full video of this hunt plus taxidermy but with these costs it might simply be video/pictures here on out.
I know our walls would fully support the idea...
With shipping costs where they are, it's no longer cost effective to have shoulder mounts done overseas. It just dramatically increases shipping costs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudryCline

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?