The cost of shipping Trophies

Yep, that had me worried but the shipping company double checked the crate and says it’s all in there. They must have stuffed something inside the pedestal. I imagine the horns are removable on the roan and I’ve never seen a gemsbok without removable horns.
I had a crate that size that contained an Eland skull and hide. A Waterbuck, and Warthog skull mounted on a plaque. That's it. No shoulder mounts and half the animals. Something doesn't add up here.

last year I had a crate with kudu, waterbuck, bushpig impala and bushbuck shoulder mounts and full body steinbok, duiker and baboon full mount a double pedestal with common and mountain reedbucks. 10 animals and it was 7 x 4 x 4. I’ll just have to wait and see when I open it.

last year I had a crate with kudu, waterbuck, bushpig impala and bushbuck shoulder mounts and full body steinbok, duiker and baboon full mount a double pedestal with common and mountain reedbucks. 10 animals and it was 7 x 4 x 4. I’ll just have to wait and see when I open it.
Are we talking FEET?

The weight seems to coincide with the mounts, 96 kg translates to about 210 pounds.

It's amazing what and how taxidermist can pack into a crate.

My total shipping costs from East Cape RSA to Coppersmith in Atlanta and getting the crate into a medium U-Haul trailer was just around $4200.00 - $4300.00 dollars.

I didn't believe the crate size I was told was correct so I didn't empty my truck bed and rented a trailer which weather also played a factor as it was forecasted for rain my whole trip. As luck or unlucky would have it I didn't get into any rain until I started through Knoxville and it poured down rain until I was nearly home.

Crate size: 55 inches x 33 inches x 57 inches.

Inside the crate:
1 shoulder mount Cape Eland
1 shoulder mount Gemsbok
1 shoulder mount Lechwe
1 full body Baboon in a hang from a tree position
1 shoulder mount warthog
1 full body uniquely done yellow tail mongoose

16591580250173908315027248277013.jpg

Shout out to Danwyn and his taxidermy team. I shot the mongoose with my 375 H&H, entrance hole like a #2 pencil, exit hole like a 12 gauge slug entrance hole.

My previous 2 crates from my 2 previous hunts were nearly twice as wide and half again as long with 7 and 6 shoulder mounts respectively: 2 kudu, 1 each: Red Hartebeest, Springbok, Impala, Warthog, and Blesbok; 1each: Blue and Black Wildebeest, Bushbuck, Springbok, and Impala.

I just paid $3500 for fees, permits, and shipping from RSA to DFW. It is a full crate of finished taxidermy. FYI

My total shipping costs from East Cape RSA to Coppersmith in Atlanta and getting the crate into a medium U-Haul trailer was just around $4200.00 - $4300.00 dollars.

I didn't believe the crate size I was told was correct so I didn't empty my truck bed and rented a trailer which weather also played a factor as it was forecasted for rain my whole trip. As luck or unlucky would have it I didn't get into any rain until I started through Knoxville and it poured down rain until I was nearly home.

Inside the crate:
1 shoulder mount Gemsbok
1 shoulder mount Lechwe
1 shoulder mount warthog

View attachment 479955
Shout out to Danwyn and his taxidermy team. I shot the mongoose with my 375 H&H, entrance hole like a #2 pencil, exit hole like a 12 gauge slug entrance hole.

My previous 2 crates from my 2 previous hunts were nearly twice as wide and half again as long with 7 and 6 shoulder mounts respectively: 2 kudu, 1 each: Red Hartebeest, Springbok, Impala, Warthog, and Blesbok; 1each: Blue and Black Wildebeest, Bushbuck, Springbok, and Impala.
I guess they are making an effort to minimize size of crates since shipping charges have gone through the roof. Good looking out.

Inside the crate:
1 shoulder mount Gemsbok
1 shoulder mount Lechwe
1 shoulder mount warthog

View attachment 479955

I guess they are making an effort to minimize size of crates since shipping charges have gone through the roof. Good looking out.

I just paid $4100 for my crate of trophies from my trip in April of 2021 to be shipped from Joberg to San Francisco. It include 7 shoulder mounts, kudu, gemsbok, blesbok, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, impala and a springbok, plus a couple purses and all the back skins. The crate dimensions were 168x126x113cm (66x50x44.5 inches) and weighed 164kg (362lbs). Costs were higher than I originally planned, but not as bad as I was afraid of. Trophy Shippers is doing the customs work on this end, have no idea what the cost is going to be for shipping from San Francisco to middle of nowhere Wyoming, but will update when I figure that piece out. If it is too much there is a chance I may just fly to San Francisco and rent a budge van to bring them home in.

Just received our finalized bill.
Shipping:
478kg shipping weight
$5,343

Clearing and transport from NY to my door in TN:
$3193

Hopefully mine will touch down in Atlanta tonight at about 7, then to the US BS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudryCline

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?