thats why I dont like doubles (have one)

I just watched it again over and over. The slow motion footage helped a lot. PH fired the first shot, then client #2 and PH #3. Who fired #4 I can’t figure out as to me (and I have zero experience with a double) it came too quickly after shot #3. During shots 3 and 4 the client’s right hand was clearly gripping the bolt handle. Shots 5 and 6 were both off camera so I assume both PH and client. Shot 7 was obvious and nearly gave me heart failure!
I take away four things from this video:
- I agree that on the initial shot, the second buffalo appears to flinch. Would that be from the sound of the rifle or did the bullet hit him too?
- The speed of the charge is shocking to me.
- They all kept their wits about them and I think handled the situation of the charge very well. The PH has BIG brass ones!
- There must have been a 3rd shooter off camera.

Makes one like myself with no DG experience wonder how I’d react if put in the same situation.

Firing and missing does not count for a lot.
From the first hand cranked movie camera, the cameraman has always been the unsung hero.
That cameraman was also mine at my recent elephant hunt at Kazuma. 20+ years experience, he also just got his Zim PH license. Great angles and steady footage at my hunt.

BTW, for those wondering there were 2 trackers, client, PH, cameraman and a game scout. No shooters other than the client and the PH. Third tracker/driver stays with the HiLux.

The cameraman deserves the Martin & Osa Johnson award. Dean is a great PH & good guy. Treated my wife decent at proficiency.

Not going to comment on the video (enough has been said !)

But I have a story regarding shooting under stress.

A few years ago, I joined a friend who was hunting his secoond buff, a nice 43" beast. He was nervous to start with, and shot him in the belly, the buff took off, the PH was shouting reload, reload, and he just could not do it !

Yes these situations happen ! So, we went after the buff, which I located lying under a tree, he got up and was finally shot.

Northern Cape PH school had a blurb on Instagram where the student shot at a charging bull target.
It's in slo-mo in this video at 3:00. In the original that target was moving a lot quicker. I've hunted with Mynhard. He runs a pretty tight ship.

One thing I love about this group is that the vast majority of comments are constructive. It is very useful to watch, theorize, and take lessons for the future and pointless to find fault. People have done a great job.

While it looks like the client is fumbling with the rifle, either reloading or clearing a double feed, only those who know what happened know for sure. I had an instance where after a long belly crawl on Caprivi dust, I took my first shot at buffalo. Ran the bolt, squeezed the trigger for a second shot, and nothing. Trigger wouldn’t budge. Thought I must have somehow put the safety back on. Nope. PH starts telling me to shoot again and I told him I’m trying. Eventually got a second shot off with what felt like 100 pound trigger pull. Far as I can tell, I got enough dirt in it during the crawl to jam the trigger for the second shot. Anyone watching film would have assumed I was a complete idiot who didn’t know how to operate his rifle. Fair enough- in that condition, I didn’t know what was wrong, only that I couldn’t pull the trigger. I did my best to assess and rectify the situation (May have even run the bolt a second time to make sure I hadn’t forgotten to- can’t remember so many years later) and eventually discovered that brute force on the trigger is what it took. Sure am glad there wasn’t film of me at that moment because I’m sure I looked bad.

Northern Cape PH school had a blurb on Instagram where the student shot at a charging bull target.
It's in slo-mo in this video at 3:00. In the original that target was moving a lot quicker. I've hunted with Mynhard. He runs a pretty tight ship.

Good advertising video for the PH school.

As far as the charging bull target is concerned, I also had the opportunity to once practice with it and an old bolt action rifle caliber 505 Gibbs. Unfortunately, in the reality a buffalo does not approach you so rigidly, but reloading and shooting quickly with a big bore rifle can be practiced well.

I agree, easy to speculate and armchair quarterback. It definitely does appear though that something was preventing a rapid reload of the clients rifle. Shooter error ? Mechanical malfunction ? I think shooter error is most likely, and I don't profess that I would be immune to the same issue. Without trying to turn this into a CRF vs Push feed debate, I will say that the small advantages between each (and push feed does have its advantages over CRF) are generally not what causes problems, it is the shooter in high stress situations. In a push feed rifle with plunger ejector such as the much maligned 700, the ejector flings the case as soon as the case mouth clears the front receiver ring, instead of ejecting at the rear of the bolt stroke like a Mauser or M70. I could be wrong, but if I had to guess this shooter short stroked the bolt, and was trying to feed a live round with empty case still in rifle, something much less likely to happen with a plunger ejector. I am not surprised at all with the CRF bobble, because they are certainly not immune to shooter error, and in some scenarios more likely to cause issues.

Norfolk Shooter, certainly agree any client MUST practice a lot (under field conditions) before going on a DG Safari. But how can a client practice “being charged” by a Buffalo? — (have his Wife scream at him and run towards him when she see his “Safari costs??”). Of course muscle memory improves thru practice and repetition but I have firearms I can load & operate in complete darkness - but doubt I could do that seeing a Buff charging me. I would think you’d need to be present for a few “charges” before you cold reliably function “similar” to normal.
@HankBuck I hate to pull this card but Im going to. I have been shot at more times than I care to remember and have had a few close calls.
In all times the drills that we did it training just kicked in. When things didnt go as we wanted them to we improvised. In a nutshell you are still having a fight with someone/thing in its backyard.

I do rather like the idea of having ones wife charge at you. Im just glad nobody got hurt

Leave the client out of the game. Anyone who is hunting buffalo for the first time will quickly be overwhelmed by such a situation.

Different when it comes to the PH, and in this case when it comes to his backup rifle. His competence is not in question here, but if you have to fire more than two shots with a DR to control a bad situation, you have a problem. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to keep an eye on the target and at the same time to break off the DR to reload it. I also own two big bore double rifles and therefore know that reloading is not that quick. So we are back on the topic and why @Foxi does not like doubles.

The PH in the blue jacket held fire until the bull rider got his 8 seconds then killed the bull. That video shows how much we rely on a PH when crap hits the fan.

There should be awards for PH’s and Guides
There is, it is called “The big tip awar.

A lot went wrong there. The main point is that you have to make those shots count.

I really can’t understand the criticism of some videos or the praise of others. It seems the first post sets the tone. I really don’t see anything done wrong. It wasn’t a picture perfect end to a charge, but no one was hurt and everyone kept their composure. It could have easily resulted in something much more serious. As far the scope on follow up. I can’t see the difference of a scope on 2 power or open sights except when the buffalo breaks at 50 yards and runs you have a much higher likelihood of getting a good second shot in. It appears in this video the clients shot connected after it passed the PH slowing the buffalo down. As far as the bolt operation by the client, no one knows how they will act until they are in that situation. He put a fairly good first shot in. That’s his primary job. I like watching hunting videos on YouTube but I’m surprised many get put up when hunters critique and criticize every aspect of them. I’ve been guilty of it too. Some videos I think are deserving of it, but I don’t think this one is.
When charged at close range you will be sighting down the barrel and not aiming with any kind of sights. I don't know why more people don't understand this. Did no one but me shoot little recurve bows instinctively as a kid?

Definitely some operator error on the client as well as the PH on their reloads. Looked to me like the client was able to jam a CRF action...crazy what can happen to even the most legendary of actions under pressure.
Maybe not the clients fault. Some guns jam when worked hard. This is why you have to try to break a DG gun while at home so you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njohh

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa