thats why I dont like doubles (have one)

I really can’t understand the criticism of some videos or the praise of others. It seems the first post sets the tone. I really don’t see anything done wrong. It wasn’t a picture perfect end to a charge, but no one was hurt and everyone kept their composure. It could have easily resulted in something much more serious. As far the scope on follow up. I can’t see the difference of a scope on 2 power or open sights except when the buffalo breaks at 50 yards and runs you have a much higher likelihood of getting a good second shot in. It appears in this video the clients shot connected after it passed the PH slowing the buffalo down. As far as the bolt operation by the client, no one knows how they will act until they are in that situation. He put a fairly good first shot in. That’s his primary job. I like watching hunting videos on YouTube but I’m surprised many get put up when hunters critique and criticize every aspect of them. I’ve been guilty of it too. Some videos I think are deserving of it, but I don’t think this one is.
That’s how it goes one person has an opinion and others pile on. I saw this video about a year ago or so I can’t really remember but a while back. I am glad they are ok! Not everything goes to plan and arm chair quarterbacking will never change that. If you have never had a situation go differently than you planned. You are either a liar or haven’t done a lot outdoors.

The reload was the issue in this charge. Moving and trying to load two rounds into the fairly narrow opening of a SxS double can be tricky regardless of experience. One advantage by the way an OU operates is that the wider opening angle makes a somewhat easier target to hit with reloads. And yes, I know that is heresy, so don't belabor it in comments until you have tried both. (Yes I own SxS's and OU doubles).

If the client had been using solids there almost certainly would have been two wounded animals. The first shot was a bit high and too far back. The fact they seem to have closed with the bull rather quickly suggest a rear lung shot.

Other than fighting the bolt toward the end, once things went south the client seems to have done pretty well.

I am frankly not all that surprised that the PH's reload wasn't that clean and automatic. These men are absolute pros, but few these days have ever been part of a dangerous game culling mission that were so common back in East Africa days. They actually have relatively little experience or practice going through a fast reload. It becomes harder to really replicate this sort of event with live rounds due to the prohibitive cost of such ammunition in Southern Africa.

@Foxi is correct. One more second of fumbling and the PH would have had that thing in his lap. The cameraman does indeed deserve to be mentioned in dispatches. Rather like airplane crashes, if you walk away, it was a good landing.

Last edited:
@Red Leg its a bit hard to see because he was facing away when fighting the bolt but was he (client) reloading or having a malfunction?

Agreed he looked to do well (to my amateur eyes), ran different directions to keep safer line of fire etc.

@freefall

1e5a406981b237925ca07c6c31f78bd7.gif

Definitely some operator error on the client as well as the PH on their reloads. Looked to me like the client was able to jam a CRF action...crazy what can happen to even the most legendary of actions under pressure.

as stated before, the first shot was a bit high. the real issue to me was like @redleg said, slow reloading. the client had a tough time getting his gun to cycle, but did pretty good i thought. the PH was pretty slow getting his fresh ammo into his gun.

that said, i suspect it is hard to load your gun while keeping an eye on the buff AND looking for a place to run to!

nobody got hurt, and a dead buffalo. (y) things would have been less exciting if the hunters involved got their guns reloaded quicker. a take away, nobody ever wished for a smaller caliber rifle or less bullets!

Definitely some operator error on the client as well as the PH on their reloads. Looked to me like the client was able to jam a CRF action...crazy what can happen to even the most legendary of actions under pressure.
I wonder if he tried to top up his gun and managed to double feed it.

I have hunted with Dean twice last two years. That firearm is a .470 though he'd rather have a 500. ;) I saw the video during my last hunt with him. He said he had forgotten to switch from solids to softs and when he missed the brain by a hair it hardly had any effect as the bullet whizzed through.

He said he had time to reload only the right barrel for the last shot.

Last edited:
Shoulda, coulda, woulda, shit happens, no one hurt, animal down. All in all, a very successful endeavor.

...... when he missed the brain by a hair it hardly had any effect as the bullet whizzed through.

Who ever practices lead on an incoming shot that is moving down hill.
Missing a moving grapefruit at 3 to 5 yards....
Lead is everything...
Glad everyone got out of that with their hides intact.

Practice session at the range:
Hang a grapefruit at face level from a string and have some one swing it at you.
If you miss, ....

Everything cannot be a one shot kill, things like that happen.

It is certainly advisable to use a rifle from which you can remove the scope, but the PH should also be armed with a big bore for backup. Does not seem to be the case here.

By the way, I would not have shot with the second buffalo behind.
I was surprised by the original shot with the other buff so close . Looked to me like he hit both .

That charging half dead buff was ten yards from the client and essentially stopped as it was turning to go for the PH ... and client still missed it. WAY missed it. The dust flew three feet to the left of the animal. Hard to tell but appears the PH also missed the first shot incoming. I wouldn't call it a shitshow ... but not far off the mark. The startup footage showed a half a dozen guys in line on the stalk. Was anyone else shooting off camera?

Nobody could load their gun properly. The client was cobviously very inexperienced. And the buff was clearly almost out of gas when it charged Had he had a bit more in the tank I think it would have been curtains for the PH ... or both of them.

Last edited:
Got my pulse going just watching on my phone.
Great video.
Real world example of sh*t happens. I would not want to be reloading a double, retreating from a buffalo 5 yards away.
I need to keep practicing with a bolt rifle., while moving with great urgency.

First of all I would have had my Blaser R8 and everything would have been fine. :)

Now that I got that out of the way…this is why I love Buffalo hunting! Eventually something like this happens and gets the blood pumping.

I’ve hunted them with 458 Lott, 470 Nitro Express, and 505 Gibbs. All solid calibers and stuff can still happen even with these large calibers. I’m happy no one was hurt and the Hunter and PH have a good story to tell.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliseSever

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.