Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
South Africa, Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
So I see where PP2000MR has a stability factor of 0.6

That's my powder for both 9.3x62 as well as 404J.

I'm not really even a little concerned about my 404J load - at 2250 fps, even at 100° F, it's still a fairly low pressure load.

I'm not even overly concerned about the 9.3 loads, even though I'm pushing 286 gr A Frames at 2475 and 258 gr Hammers at a little over 2500. Ladder tests for both showed zero signs of pressure at the highest charge weight. I've got the COAL for both those bullets set well past SAAMI spec, with lots of freebore/leade still to spare.

I'm also not worried about modest velocity increases with warm ambient temps. I've done enough LD with heavy 45-70 bullets and all manner of .366 bullets to know any POI changes are meaningless at the sort of distances I'd use either of those.

My question is...should I be more concerned about the 9.3 loads than I am? I had no issues with those A Frame loads last week in northern Limpopo where afternoon temps were pretty consistently in the upper 80s to 90

Short answer, no, in my opinion. You live in the Houston area and I would guess your load development work is done during warm to hot days. If you develop a load on a 80F day, then go hunting on a 100F day, the delta is only 20F. Not a big deal. For hunting loads, I just don't think temp stability is a big deal. Shooting at 600-1000 yards, then it matters.

BTW, this temp stability table shows PP 2000MR at 0.99, not 0.6

If it's a concern to you, go with H4350 with a 0.16 temp stability factor. I developed my 338 WM load during warm temps (70-90F) and then shot an elk in Montana at 300 yards on a -10F morning. Load was still accurate with a delta of over 80F!

1725191749622.jpeg

Short answer, no, in my opinion. You live in the Houston area and I would guess your load development work is done during warm to hot days. If you develop a load on a 80F day, then go hunting on a 100F day, the delta is only 20F. Not a big deal. For hunting loads, I just don't think temp stability is a big deal. Shooting at 600-1000 yards, then it matters.

BTW, this temp stability table shows PP 2000MR at 0.99, not 0.6

If it's a concern to you, go with H4350 with a 0.16 temp stability factor. I developed my 338 WM load during warm temps (70-90F) and then shot an elk in Montana at 300 yards on a -10F morning. Load was still accurate with a delta of over 80F!

View attachment 630803
I use H4350 for my 280AI loads where temps may be 60 - 80° colder than when I'm doing LD

My question is...should I be more concerned about the 9.3 loads than I am? I had no issues with those A Frame loads last week in northern Limpopo where afternoon temps were pretty consistently in the upper 80s to 90

I think your answered your own question.

My only question to you would be, are you planning on hunting in temps higher than that? If the answer is no, I would not change a thing. If yes, do a little testing in the middle of summer and review the results.

Limcroma has some nice dagga boys, but they also operate in Moz and Zim. I think I have a better chance at a scrum cap bull there than one of their Limpopo properties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinWnf1

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]