Bolt action or double??

just out of interest why do you want a sound moderator on it? had a look on the link, and i know what would be sent flying into the bush inside of the first couple of minutes if i had to carry that rifle.......;)

That'll do! Wish I was the one behind it on its next trip!

for use in the uk. folk around in the uk dont like loud bangs they phone the cops!!!

not yet but id say its on the cards. I'm also thinking about rapid re-acquisition of target if need be.

just out of interest why do you want a sound moderator on it? had a look on the link, and i know what would be sent flying into the bush inside of the first couple of minutes if i had to carry that rifle.......;)

No insult intended, but I've sure got to agree with 'spike.t'. I wouldn't want that humongous thing on any hunting rifle I own. Again, no insult intended, just a case of different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited:
No insult intended, but I've sure got to agree with 'spike.t'. I wouldn't want that humongous piece of iron on any hunting rifle I own. Again, no insult intended, just a case of different strokes for different folks I guess.

I see your point my 30-06 that normally go out with hasn't got one and that in the UK is very unusual. No offence taken old bean every bit of help is taken as help. I've never hunted Africa apart from as part of the UN in SL. Even then never a shot fired! Thank god. I did put out a question re how loud is it in the 375 and up category to help me make up my mind.
I guess I could always get it then if I find to heavy just take it off and continue the next day.

'Norfolk shooter' . . . your question about "how loud" the 375 H&H is may be somewhat difficult to answer. The best I can suggest is to conduct an internet search on the comparative decibel level output of various firearms chambering. But surely the noise level of a .375 H&H isn't intolerable as it's a popular chambering that has been used extensively for both target shooting and hunting for a little more than 100 years now.

It's the damned ear shattering muzzle brakes that I can't stand.

Sorry, I wish I could offer more helpful advice . . . good hunting to you!

Last edited:
I dont have to get that particular one. There shall be more soon. Im rather fortunate that the world renowned Holts auction house is based up the road from me! Plenty there.

I dont have to get that particular one. There shall be more soon. Im rather fortunate that the world renowned Holts auction house is based up the road from me! Plenty there.

yup they have some good stuff for sure. i bought a cz .416 rigby with synthetic stock that was unused for just over £500.00 from them on one of their unsold items sales. :D

Thats the nice thing in the uk we have to fight to get the larg calibres so when there is an auction on at holts you can pick up some real treats!

Right the shooting show is coming up in the UK and I'm looking at putting in an order for a 375. Not too sure what to go for though a double or bolt. I would want to use it for everything from PG to DG. What would be best suited?? I'm thinking a double from an investment point of view but if it wont be much good for the PG I might not bother with one.
Also anybody have a Chapuis Armes double??

Many thanks
For PHs

Doc i had to find out whether anyone made these, and i have consulted my oracle and there was one .404 jeff double made by westley richards for a well known american collector/hunter, and that is it...so more than rare !

I have seen one made by the german firm Barella before WW2....pretty oddball round in a double....I would never have a rimless cartridge in a double meant for DG..
I had a 404J double . A clamshell action made by Genschow pre WW2 . The Germans made quite a few 404J / 10.75x73 double rifles . Mine was a rather clunky rifle. Sold it and bought a WR 450/ 400 NE . A nicer rifle shooting a 400grain bullet at same speed as the 404.

I have a Steyr Mannlicher Model S in .375 that’s been Magnaported, and the rifle is an absolute pleasure to use and shoot. It’s extremely accurate with most loads, feeds as slickly as you could imagine, and has some of the best iron sights that I’ve ever used. In your situation, I’d pick up a nice used one in a New York (Norfolk?) minute. CZ makes a great product, but many choose to have knowledgeable gunsmiths perform additional refinement to their base offerings.

Not that I have any great DG experience with only the one buff cow under my belt, but I can work a bolt as fast as anyone, probably faster than most.

Seems to me the great value of a double is in dealing with a charge. A 375 in that circumstance is better than nothing, but also a bit less than ideal anyway. You'd be better served in a charge with a 450 or 470.

A simple follow-up with a double in very thick brush like where my buff was when I shot her is scarcely more likely than with a bolt.

If you just want the double, then get one. Otherwise, a bolt will serve your purposes better.

Like others said, a bolt rifle would make the most sense for an “all around” rifle. That being said a scoped .500/.416 double should also work at the same ranges as .375. The cost goes up though.

Like others said, a bolt rifle would make the most sense for an “all around” rifle. That being said a scoped .500/.416 double should also work at the same ranges as .375. The cost goes up though.
I’m not sure I’d want to shoot mine from a truly supported position. My .375 bolt guns feel more sensible for that type of shot, but of course, ymmv.

If I'm hunting dangerous game (including Brown Bear in the 50 US states), I'll fell ok with .375 H&H or Ruger or .416 Rigby, Rem or Ruger. I'm also used to recoil. For those not, stay away from Alaska and Brown Bear in the lower 48. I'd like to try S by S, but I don't have that budget so I'll go with Ruger Alaskan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNBChassid

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]