TANZANIA: Tanzanian Plains Game Hunt With Kilombero North Safaris

So off we go bouncing around the the sorta 2 track. Some places take more imagination to call it a trail than in others. Zidane tells me we are approaching the area where they have seen a huge Kudu bull. I tell him I love hunting Kudu. He then asks me why I’m not hunting one this trip. I’m forced to explain my financial limitations. With the license upgrade and trophy fee I just can’t afford it. He says how about if we hunt one for trophy fee only. You’re already here so let’s do it. I think for a moment and say OK. We don’t go 300 yds down the 2 track and someone sees something in the bush. Out we climb very quietly from the truck. I chamber a round as quietly as possible. We then sneak quietly into the bush. About 50 yds in I see a Kudu bull! He spooks as I get Zidane’s attention. Then a couple of Kudu cows spook. They bark and bound out of the area. We wait for 10 minutes to let things settle down.
We go back into stalking mode. 50 yds later Zidane and I see the bull as he sees us. He barks and is gone in a single jump. Quite the encounter. We walk back to the truck and load up. Zidane has the driver turn the truck around and go back to the base of a hill.
This hill overlooks a draw and a flat to the side of it. In my mind I call it Kudu valley. At the second rest spot climbing up the hill I spot a Kudu bull in the bush. Then Peter finds one and I spot another. A plethora of Kudu bulls here. Zidane looks things over. I suspect he doesn’t want to burn this place and alert the Kudu that we’re stalking them. He says let’s head to the truck and come back this evening.
We climb back down the hill to the truck and load up. We go down the road perhaps 200 yds and they stop the truck. All of the others are looking at something in the bush. A Kudu cow? I look up the road and there 150 yds out is a Kudu bull. Right in the middle of the 2 track........ I touch Zidane and point. We put our binoculars to our eyes and I immediately realize it’s him.... the big bull Zidane and Quintin had seen. He’s well over 30 inches. Just an incredible animal.
He walks into the bush and we immediately clamber down off the truck and walk up the 2 track hoping he’s stopped where we can get a shot. We spot a Kudu and I get on the sticks. It’s a cow. Can’t see a bull. As I’m on the sticks I notice 3 zebras walking up the road toward us. Then a cow crosses the road. Zidane says the bull will follow. Another cow and then a bull! Just not the big one. A young one of perhaps 24 inches... Then another cow. The zebra spook and no more Kudu. Zidane has his tracker go into to the bush to try and spook the bull across the road. No luck.......
As a hunter there are animals that haunt you. If you hunt long enough it will happen. I remember the 2 largest mule deer I’ve seen in the wild and never got. There is also a bull elk I missed..... Now there is another. That Kudu bull will haunt my dreams for years to come. Perhaps it’s not such a bad thing. We all need something to aspire to obtain. This is one of those. One of those moments I’ll always remember.
We got back in the truck and made a token drive through the bush hoping to find him. No luck. Back to camp for lunch. That afternoon we head back to the hill to look out over Kudu valley.
We hike up the hill to where we have a good look at the bush around it. Zidane tells me it took his last hunter 6 days to connect on a bull....... Below us we see 7 eland cows come out. Then the Kudu start feeding out. There is a group of 3 bulls out 1/2 mile or so. We bail off the hill to see if we can intercept them
Zidane has a 2 way radio to converse with Peter who stays on the hill. We get into the bush and spot a young bull. We get by him without spooking him. Zidane feels we are close. Radio doesn’t work so he tries the cell. After 5 minutes we take a couple steps and are busted by a large Kudu bull. No shot opportunity. Just a big bodied animal. Zidane is really bummed out. So near yet so far. Back to the truck and back to camp we go.
This is a great day. We’ve seen an incredible number of lesser Kudu. Even without a shot opportunity we have seen some beautiful country and animals. It’s a day I’ll dream about forever........

Area around kudu valley
AF1C8F0B-A7D7-4C72-BFCA-AF804BDDABCA.jpeg
F7BA922B-94E7-44F8-99E2-8B8D0C186DEF.jpeg

Such a fine retirement gift to yourself!

This is an outstanding hunt report. Congrats on the fine animals so far!

Thanks for sharing a great repoirt and hunt enjoying it very much.

As a hunter there are animals that haunt you. If you hunt long enough it will happen. I remember the 2 largest mule deer I’ve seen in the wild and never got. There is also a bull elk I missed..... Now there is another. That Kudu bull will haunt my dreams for years to come. Perhaps it’s not such a bad thing. We all need something to aspire to obtain. This is one of those. One of those moments I’ll always remember.
So true.... mine is the single biggest mule deer I've seen. Got so close yet no connection....

Fantastic report Bruce.... I'm quickly convincing myself to go do this hunt!

Day 9
I wake up before the 4:30 wake up call. Gives me a few minutes to reflect on how great this trip has been. I'm forced to realize that the end of the safari is in sight and I simply don't want to acknowledge that fact. 2 more hunting days and then the long painful trip back.....
Breakfast is as normal and we're off around 5:40. We drive through a very small village and down a road that seems to go through unplanted fields and into the bush. Once in the bush we crawl over rocks and around the trees. We watch closely for the limbs with thorns that threaten to snatch away our hats and tear our flesh. Eventually we reach the end of the road that goes into Kudu valley. We slowly creep up the road like a wraith in the morning. I find it interesting that Zidane chooses to park almost exactly where we saw the big bull if I'm to judge. The truck is just off of the 2 track. 2 chairs are gotten out. Zidane and I are facing downwind with Peter and the tracker facing upwind. We're here to see if the bull chooses to cross the road again. We're less than 3/4 of a mile from water and perhaps the road is used some to get to it.
I have a bad habit of second guessing my PH. Personally I'd of set up 200 yds away from the big bull's crossing point hoping he used it again. I have found out that although I know my North American animals my PH's know their African prey. In my mind we needed to sit 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. My guess was that it was past 8:30 when we saw Mr big the day before.
Our sit begins shortly after 6:30. Shortly after we sit down a herd of cow eland cross the road about 500 yds away. Then we hear elephants trumpeting in the bush perhaps 1/2 mile away. Zidane and Peter get the big guns out just in case...At around 7:30 a bull eland steps out of the bush and stops in the center of the road. I put the crosshairs in the right place and say "bang" to myself. The bull just looks at us. I can almost here him saying " What are you guys doing out here? Should I be worried?" He slowly walks off after a very long look. He is that beautiful slate gray mature bull that looks like a sumo wrestler.
At 8 Zidane is ready to go. His patience is gone. I comment that I thought it was 8:30 or later before we saw Mr big the day before. He waits 5 min longer. He then leaves me with Peter and takes the tracker for a swing through the bush. At 8:30 he is back. They busted one small bull. We saw nothing more. The kudu seem to have pulled back out of sight.
Zidane's next plan is to drive through some of the more open plain immediately above the thick stuff in Kudu valley. He is expecting to find Kudu moving from feeding up there and heading to the bedding cover in Kudu valley. Not a bad plan considering the night before the 3 kudu bulls we saw were coming from that direction. We spend the next 2 or 2 1/2 hours slowing driving through the bush, making our own road. We saw a few Zebra, giraffe and Grants gazelles but nothing else. We actually saw fewer animals than what I expected given the amount of feed.
We pull up to the base of the hill that overlooks Kudu valley and have a light early lunch. Then up the hill we go. Once up there we sit and watch for an hour. A few eland cows and a couple of elephants, but no Kudu. Everything is bedded for now so back to camp we go for lunch and a break.

Afternoon of day 9
Zidane has a plan. Every good PH has one right. I'm not sure that I like it. He wants to go sit on the water that is about 1 mile from Kudu valley and see if Mr Big puts in an appearance. We pull out of camp at 3:30 and head for the bush. We get to the end of the 2 track which is where the water is. The truck begins to idle up the 2 track towards Kudu valley. I lean over to Zidane and ask whats up? He says we will drive up the road to the valley and then back to the water and see if we see a kudu. OK....... won't the kudu hear us and then not come to water until after dark is whats going through my mind........ About 1/2 mile up the road the tracker says to stop. Kudu cow! Zidane has the truck go off the road and ease into the bush to see what he can see. We bump a cow almost immediately. Off the truck we go. Silently I load a shell into the chamber and we begin a stalk.
We edge through the bush. We move as silently as possible to avoid spooking the kudu. We step around thorns and over rocks carefully watching where we put our feet. All of sudden there is a cow. The sticks go up and I look in vain for a bull. The cow disappears and another takes her place for a moment. Then nothing. They aren't named the grey ghost for nothing.
We slowly ease forward another 50 yds or so. Zidane spots another cow. She in a narrow lane opening in the bush behind a tree. The tree has openings that we can see through, but limits our vision. It also hides us from the kudu. I'm back on the sticks trying to calm myself. Even out my breathing and I'm chanting over and over to myself mentally to squeeze the trigger. When I miss an animal its usually because I rush the shot, slap the trigger and thus shoot high.
I see cows filter through the opening. Zidane later says that there were 5. Then the bull. He stops situated so I can't see his head or his shoulder..... Zidane instructs me to shoot if I have a shot. Through the scope I realize that if I can put the bullet within a inch to half inch of a large branch I can hit the bull just behind the shoulder. The closer to the limb the closer to the shoulder I'll be. I'm stable and the sight picture is good. The opening is small and the kudu is well over 100 yds away. I squeeze the trigger and hear the thwack of the bullet. The bull immediately does a "mule kick" and disappears into the bush.
Zidane claps me on the back and says well done. Then he asks how the shot felt. It felt good, but the reaction was great. Seems to me when you get the mule kick its usually a heart shot and a dead animal. We move forward to approximately where he stood when I shot and start looking. We zig zag around a ways and find nothing... Now I'm getting nervous and start to second guess myself. Back to the opening we go. A track in the dirt is found. Then some blood. 40 yds later there is my bull.
Such a beautiful animal. Lovely spirals that go up nicely. Not Mr Big but an excellent bull non the less. I am proud of the animal. They are so beautiful Such an exquisite animal and tough to hunt to boot. The bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited in front of the off shoulder. It took out the heart. The trackers were whining about the meat loss as the insides belong to them. I'm still excited. I thought that I'd not be able to hunt this many special animals. I still think about how lucky we were to find this gem of a hunt.
After pics we load up and head back to camp. Zidanes plan worked like normal. Usually its best to listen to your PH. At camp we measure him carefully. The long horn stretches to 29 inches. That night as I listen to birds I realize there is one more day and I've taken what I can afford to hunt and maybe a little extra. Tomorrow we get to play and take pics.

Beautiful animal!
Congratulations

WOW!! What a nice looking kudu :love:

Great report and congrats on some magnificent animals! Thanks for taking us along!

Awesome hunt you had! Great photos to go with an exciting to read hunt report. Well done!

Such an awesome animal. I didnt have one on license when I was there all those years ago, but the other chap on the hunt did and he did take one. What a fantastic place!

Nothing like hunting Kudu!

What an outstanding hunt Bruce. Beautiful Grants, Roberts and Thompson gazelles. A huge bushbuck and Gerenuk. The kudu was a special trophy.
You encountered diverse terrai: a volcanic crater, rainforest, mountains, bush, grassland. Interacted with the locals. And to top it off you got to hunt with “Batman”. What more could you hope for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharisHask

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!