TANZANIA: Tanzanian Plains Game Hunt With Kilombero North Safaris

Wow what a nice Bushbuck!

The tight angular spiral of those horns makes for a very cool trophy. Nice shot, btw.
Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the after affects of the shot tho. The body size of these Bushbuck is probably close to 20-25% bigger than those in RSA and the Chobe that I've killed in the past. Absolutely a great place to hunt them for sure.
Day 3
This is scheduled to be our last day at the Lake Natron concession. We leave at 7:30 after Oj and the standard breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage and "bacon". Today we're going down to what they call the sand river. Its perhaps a 40 min drive from camp. We go past a small town and numerous herds of goats and cattle. Lots of Masai. As soon as get to the flats past the dry river bed we start seeing gazelle.
This concession has Grants and Thompsons gazelles. Roberts gazelles will crossbreed with the Grants. They are of similar size and color, but are very rare in this area. As we drive from group to group we stop and look at whats available. Eventually we see some off n the distance away from the road in the back. As we drive closer its a true mixed herd. There are eland, Zebra, Giraffe's and Grants in the group. The more we look at one of the "Grants" the more Zidane likes it. We get out and make a short stalk away from the vehicle. The eland don't like us being there and exit stage right fairly early on. The Zebra are rather tame. It always puzzled me while there that they weren't more spooky. Just not hunted I guess.
There were 7-8 "Grants" in the group with several mature animals. We took several minutes to make sure I was looking at the same animal. They were around 125 yds out and nervous so not a lot of standing around. Finally he cleared the others and turned broadside to me. I squeezed the trigger. He quickly disappeared and Zidane says "you hit him in the guts"! My heart sank. He said don't worry I could see good blood so he won't go far.
We waited 5 min while I stewed on my shooting. That shot had felt good. We them headed out to make the recovery. He had gone perhaps 50 yds. The entrance was dead square on the shoulder! The exit was 6 inches behind the opposite shoulder. He obviously was angled some to me. The exit was what Zidane had seen. Even that wasn't in the "guts" IMHO. We moved him out to take photos and pose him. As I looked around, there was a herd of Zebra less than 300 yds away. There was a herd of 9 Giraffes that were watching us closely. Curious I guess. Would of been easy to kill one of those Zebra. Just shows how little hunting pressure that there is on them.
When we took a good look at my Gazelle Zidane told me it was a crossbreed Grants/Roberts and maybe more to the Roberts side. After some thought I got rather excited. I could still shoot a Grants and have all 3 sub species available there. Zidane said anyone, including PH's looking at the mount would not be able to dispute it being a Roberts. So I'll display it that way. For those who care the horns are 24 inches long.
After pics we found some shade and had a lunch in the bush. After a nice break we started looking at some of the Thompsons Gazelles in the area. As we drove back toward the road we pushed a herd of perhaps 25-30 Tommy's ahead of us. Suddenly we saw a dog begin chasing the herd of Tommy's. He didn't want to give up. I commented to Zidane that in my area we'd kill that dog in a heartbeat. He eventually asked if I minded him "borrowing a bullet". I told him to have at it. He was sitting but shot freehand from the truck seat. The dog was perhaps 150 yds away. He yipped and ran off 3 legged yelping along the way. It appeared to me likely that the paw was hit with bullet or rock fragments. A solid hit on the paw might of taken it off entirely. Not what Zidane apparently wanted to do. He said that he hoped that would reach the dog a lesson.
We worked our way back along the road and spent a couple of hours looking at animals. Nothing else was deemed suitable. We headed back to camp. Had a little time before dark so we went out bird hunting for a while. That was fun and we got a few spur fowl too. Pics of the gazelle and others to follow.
Bruce

6B16C5E7-F726-407E-B07A-A4D68171AECB.jpeg
8C4A55AB-7B3A-4D1D-AA41-1D469D88CC3E.jpeg

Day 1 of Hunting
In preparing for this trip I reviewed their list of animals available. Initially I was interested in Gerenuk, Grants and Thompsons Gazelles, Kirks Dik Dik, Suni and red duiker. Lists are subject to change in Africa however. I struggled with whether to take a Lesser Kudu or Gerenuk. I finally decided that most people have never heard of a Gerenuk and thus would be a great animal to hunt. As we got closer to the hunt I saw that they had Masai Bushbuck on their trophy list. I thought, why not? I've already killed 3 different sub species of Bushbuck and they're fun to hunt.
First morning up early and listen to the doves. I allowed Africa to just seep into my bones. Up to the lodge and watched it get lighter. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, sausage and their version of bacon. Not the same as in the USA. Maryann was picked up to head to the crater and start her photographic safari.
Our first item was to check our rifles. Mine was Just fine. Mike tweeked his a little. Then off we go. I'm hunting with Zidane. His uncle owns KNS and Zidane is the office manager as well as PH. He quit high school to start his PH training. He speaks great english and is quite likeable. I also have Peter (Pieter?) on the truck with us. He was a longtime tracker and now is a PH. The truck driver is Selemani. He's a great addition to the team. The tracker is Davis and we have a government scout with us to make sure we obey the rules.... Makes for quite the group.
So up the hill we start. We see a couple of Grants and Giraffe and a couple of ostrich. Then we get lucky and see a small herd of Fringe-earred Oryx. Quite the sight and the only sighting we had of them. Coming down the hill we catch a glimpse of a dik dik but don't pursue it. Down around the flatlands we're looking for a large Gerenuk that Quintin had seen a while back. No luck. We come across a 1 horned Gerenuk. With both horns we would of hunted him right away. We find a Gerenuk with some Grants that Zidane wants to get a closer look at. We climb out of the truck and start a stalk. About half way to the animals we see a Masai walk through the mixed herd of animals and off they go. Its Masailand and that's going to happen. Still first stalk........
Around noon we head back to the lodge and lunch. After the meal Zidane proposes to relax until 3:30 and then to go out. I do a little journaling and relax a bit. Watch some of the birds. They have 2 smaller water ponds near the lodge for the birds. They just love it. The temp get up to around 80 with plenty of sunshine.
As we hunt we see cattle and goats and Masai, mostly kids watching the stock. Occasionally the kids come nd beg from us at the truck. Zidane explains that they are asking for water. Interesting thats what they want from us. Occasionally Zidane will hand out some water to the kids. In many places the grass has been chewed down to the roots. As the season progresses they have to travel further for feed.
We go to the flat beneath the lodge and start driving offroad. We see game along the way and stop to access trophy quality. After a while we find one that gets Zidane's attention. I set the rifle up on the tripod and settle in. I'm only a few yards from the truck. The Gerenuk is 134 yds away broadside. After several minutes Zidane calls me off. As I remove the rifle from the tripod Peter says something in Swahili. Zidane looks again as the ram is walking away and says lets go. I later learned that Peter told him we should shoot this ram. We moved froward until the ram stopped and then had to maneuver for a shooting lane. No longer out in the open and further away made for a trickier shot. I found a clear lane through the brush to his shoulder. Zidane said to shoot if I was clear. I squeezed the trigger and at the shot I saw a cloud of dust. I thought he had dropped there. Turns out he dropped and then tried to run. 40 yds was all he made it.
Bullet hit on the center of the shoulder and exited in front of the shoulder on the opposite side. The exit was the size of a golf ball. Perfect expansion. Turns out that a Gerenuk is the coloration of a Impala and about the same size. A long neck helps them to browse on leaves. This one is quite old as you can see in the mass of his horns. Teeth are worn. For those that care his horn length is 15 inches which if I understand it right would make Rowland Ward and well up in SCI as well. Truly a fine trophy. Pics below.
Wow, your Gerenuk is huge! Bigger than I’ve seen or shot. Congrats!

Wow, your Gerenuk is huge! Bigger than I’ve seen or shot. Congrats!
Thanks! He’s a stud. I think Zidane hesitated because there was a bigger one around….. Cool animals.
Bruce

Wow Bruce great hunt so far! Getting that Robert's was a huge bit of luck;) All fantastic trophies.

That’s a great start to the trip! Congratulations on some fantastic trophies, and looking forward to reading more!

What a great adventure, Bruce. You really did well. I think that you get the most out of your trips and I salute you for it..........thanks for posting..........waiting for more...................Bill

Wow Bruce great hunt so far! Getting that Robert's was a huge bit of luck;) All fantastic trophies.
You are correct about the luck. Apparently a year or two ago they had a hunter that wanted one. Either the neighbors quota was done for the year or it was too much money. Quintin said he spent 3 days looking for one and it didn't happen. I'm thrilled about it.
Bruce

Excellent report and gorgeous trophies!! Thanks for sharing, some of us have to wait a bit longer for our own adventure. It's really very nice for you to share your experience with us.

Excellent ! Love the bushbuck. I think I would have gone lesser kudu myself :)

Day 4 is moving day. Leaving Lake Natron and headed to Ngaserai. Up early for breakfast and final packing. Mike is hunting the mountain for a Bushbuck. Didn't connect the day before. I found it interesting that along the road we were in the Lake Natron concession for at least 1 1/2 hrs of driving down the "main" (dirt/gravel) road. Maybe 2 hrs. Never even got close to this part of the concession. After perhaps 4 hrs we arrive at Ngaserai. Situated back in the bush its a tented camp. Love the privacy of the location.
After unpacking we head out. We're looking for a huge East African Impala of 30 inches or more. I had mentioned an interest if we could find a really good one to begin with. Forgot to mention that one. Apparently last yr during the dry season a hunter had missed this behemoth 2 times. At least once it was filmed. The pics they showed us were of a huge ram. They had hunted him earlier this year with no success. I was hopeful.
We saw perhaps 150 impalas in various herds from small to as many as 35. None of the rams were significantly larger than the one I got in the East Cape a few years ago. Saw a beautiful Eland bull. He looked like a body builder and had that great slate gray color. LOTS of Zebra. Good numbers of white-bearded wildebeest as well as gazelle.
We had lunch under a tree. The shade felt good and we enjoyed the food and drink. Zidane told me could make a long drive that afternoon and look for a large gazelle if I wanted. He wanted to start looking at Tommy's. Zidane is competitive and Quintin and Mike had gotten a real stud of a Tommy. Zidane hoped we could find one better or a truly exceptional Grants. So off we went. I swear the area we drove through seemed like the Serengeti. Animals everywhere. We would push a herd of 50 Zebra away from the road only to find a bunch of WB's. We saw hundreds if not thousands of animals. I swear I could of shot Zebra until I ran out of ammo. Unbelievable amounts of game. As evening approached the grouse came out. Birds everywhere.
We didn't kill anything, but it was a great day in Africa. You don't have to kill an animal to have a great time.

By the way those are cell pics with only a 3.5 or so magnification. Most days we drove up within 50 yds of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edvbg6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!